Why Do I Have 8 Watchers On My Parker Ebay Auction

LargeSofa

Seriously - had this pen in my drawer at work for the longest time, would use it as a spare on occasion. I posted it up to just clean out some of my collection and boom, had a bid in 5 minutes. Now 3 bids and 8 watchers. quite surprised. wondering what it is that I don't know. It is inscribed with the name Sol Goldberg, did he own a kosher butcher in the lower east side? who knows?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302443360672?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• LargeSofa

• Sasha Royale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What colour is It? Some are rarer than others but I am not an expert.

Well, it doesn't look to be Dove Grey Aerometric. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Well, it doesn't look to be Dove Grey Aerometric.

Thank you for confirming the color. I have the exact Parker 51, in its box, unused. The foil price tags is $12.50 .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Those watchers may be your competition.

Usually on auction items which are seen as being attractive, there are usually zero watchers because nobody wants to give the impression that there is any interest in it just so they can snap it up for themselves at the last minute at the lowest price.

I'm not interested, in case you're advertising for watchers.

Edited by Bluey

Add another watcher. Looking for a pen to use in a restoration.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pen is Navy Grey.

Coming from Sol's deli it may be a rare Kosher example.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Speaking of dove gray. Just came home to these in the mail. I didn't even realize the color when I bought them.its a vacumatic with a blind cap.

post-88962-0-31371400-1505002699_thumb.jpg

Pen is Navy Grey.

Actually that was his brother who worked at Katz's deli on E Houston NYC.....

Sol worked in Old Mill Basin..Brooklyn at Landi's {head butcher}.....

Fred

Pen is Navy Grey.

Re my post above at #4.

Todd, don't i have the right to say sometime something humorous? Bear in mind my post was in reply to da vinci's post asking about the color of the pen and saying some color were rarer. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Re my post above at #4.

Todd, don't i have the right to say sometime something humorous? Bear in mind my post was in reply to da vinci's post asking about the color of the pen and saying some color were rarer. :)

Of course. I know you know but our jestering sometimes confuses or so I am told.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

So, are navy grey 51s uncommon?

Navy grey Vacs and/or dove grey aerometrics would be uncommon or evern rare. The navy grey aerometrics are not the common but the COMMONEST. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Probably next to black. Teal and burgundy are also very common. The big four, navy gray, teal, black and burgundy.

I got rid of so many burgundy 51s that I no longer have one. That's really kind of amusing.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you, Mitto and Pajaro.

I've been bitten by the 51 & Vacs bug, which as you know causes a pretty darn insidious disease, but have a whole lot to learn about these (it may take just a lifetime :D ).

Probably next to black. Teal and burgundy are also very common. The big four, navy gray, teal, black and burgundy.

I got rid of so many burgundy 51s that I no longer have one. That's really kind of amusing.

And the other 'Big Four' (the uncommon ones) would, I think, be Plum, Midnight Blue, Forest Green and Cocoa.

And one may add the BBB to this list to make it a Big Five.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I think that's just being unfair, what is it mitto that you have against Bloody British Burgundy - it's a lovely colour, and in candle light might remind you of claret, or some other red you like the taste of - and anyway those U.K. made pens need someone to love them .

In the U.K., it might not be too far out to say burgundy, black and teal, re common to less common.

mitto isn't just good, he's excellent........... his humour above, for those who may not understand, is that in theory at least, there wasn't a navy grey in the Vacs., and the States aeros didn't, in theory include a dove grey.

People who don't have the books and don't take the time to look at Tony Fischier's or Richard Binders site will - like me - probably not understand some of this more technical info.

But, is it correct that you can find these vacs. and aeros in greys not shown in the book??

This might be considered odd - believe I'm right in saying that the the 61 range included both charcoal grey and the later (dove?) grey.

Edited by PaulS