The Pen Factory, Liverpool

rh968

Next week I am going to Liverpool [England] for a conference, and browsing the internet for places to eat I came across a place called 'The Pen Factory'. Sure enough it was a former pen factory. I was not aware that Liverpool had any history of pen manufacturing - does anybody know which pen company was based here? Probably a minor company, but I may have heard of it. Also, does anybody know if the restaurant is any good?! Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapprman

• BT_Summers

• rh968

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll let PeterG expand as he knows far more about it than me.

Dickinson's, who owned the Croxley Paper Mills (Basidlon Bond, Red and Black, and lots more) had a factory in Liverpool which produced fountain pens, not sure if before WW2, but certainly after. Croxley Pens were made by them for about 3-4 years.

Langs were in Hope Street from the 1940s to the end of the 50s as pen manufacturers.

The restaurant is okay, been twice, first time it was great, second the food went back. Good atmosphere though.

Score points if you see women in Liverpool wearing hair rollers during the day time, I am told that its no big deal but looks weird to me.

post-138039-0-85982500-1504970027.jpg

Langs were in Hope Street from the 1940s to the end of the 50s as pen manufacturers.

The restaurant is okay, been twice, first time it was great, second the food went back. Good atmosphere though.

Slight segue but which half of Hope Street ? Been a fair while since I was last there, but the only restaurant I remember was the Mexican place opposite the Masonic Hall and next to the Everyman theatre (so Paddy's Wigwam half).

Slight segue but which half of Hope Street ? Been a fair while since I was last there, but the only restaurant I remember was the Mexican place opposite the Masonic Hall and next to the Everyman theatre (so Paddy's Wigwam half).

I dont know of the Mexican restaurant so perhaps that has closed, The pen factory was next to the Everyman, close to the concert hall.

Edited by smiffy20000

I dont know of the Mexican restaurant so perhaps that has closed, The pen factory was next to the Everyman, close to the concert hall.

Looks like the Mexican is now The Clove Hitch (I think)

I've only been past it on a main road, but I don't think Hope Street is very large.

You are referring to the former Curzons/ Langs/ Summit (they went under a number of names during the company's life) factory.

Along with Conway Stewart, Mentmore and Wyvern they were the largest manufacturer during the 1930's.

They produced their own pens under the Curzons/ Langs/ Summit names, plus numerous other lesser known brands and were major producers for third parties such as National Security and Stephens. In addition they produced their own nibs and supplied them to other companies. This causes problems due to the lack of information as to whether some brands they were sub Lang's or third party brands

Known for their not very exciting (few British producers were) but high quality products they even produced some pens for Conway Stewart's, probably when they were switching production to their new factory. However, I am by no means an expert in this company (but a member of this forum is!).

The Croxley pens were probably originally produced by Langs before they bought the Langs equipment to produce pens independently, which is why the arrow clip pens are virtually identical and interchangeable with Langs pens of the period.

Langs invested heavily in modern injection moulding equipment for pen production but were not able to dent the increasing strangle hold Parkers were developing in the British market in those pens while Conways consolidated their position with quality celluloid pens. Squeezed at both ends and in a shrinking market they succumbed.

Edited by peterg

Now I'm going to have to see if I can find it, but I have a vague memory of a Liverpool manufacturer of steel pens (dip pens) as well. Or maybe just Liverpool offices. Man, as you get older the synapses just don't fire like they used to.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne