Parker 51 And Platinum Carbon Black, Parker

FPFan

Can anyone think of a good reason to avoid putting Carbon Black in a Parker 51 Vacumatic?

Dual post in "Inky Thoughts"

Fair winds and following seas.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPFan

• BillH

• pajaro

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just completed my first 51 rebuild I would not like to deal with a 51 collector after it had carbon ink in it for awhile... asking for trouble, in my opinion. 51's are not my easiest cleaning pens to begin with. I only use the Carbon Black in the desk pens that were made for them... no troubles, even if they sit unused for long stretches. Not sure the 51 would be that forgiving. (m2c)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Thank BillH. I was forgetting about how the 51 nib is designed! You're absolutely right. Do you suppose that Noodler's could cause similar problems with some of their inks. Say, Heart of Darkness? It's my next favorite black.

I have not used HOD, and the Noodlers inks that I do use I put in Safari or old Sheaffer cartridge pens... easy to clean and not expensive if a problem develops with a particular ink. The Carbon ink is a pigment based ink rather than a dye based ink like Noodlers, so no, I don't think Noodlers would cause the same kinds of problems in 51s. (I am not an expert though, so take this as "an opinion I read on an internet forum ;) )

Edited by BillH

My caution with Noodlers ink, some of which I like a lot, comes from reading cautions on some pen repair sites and even a warning or two about voiding repair/restore warrantee work if using Noodlers.

My caution with Noodlers ink, some of which I like a lot, comes from reading cautions on some pen repair sites and even a warning or two about voiding repair/restore warrantee work if using Noodlers.

Due to Noodlers Ink corroding pen components and clogging ink feeds I no longer use Noodlers ink in any pens I value. Well, in any pens at all really.

I used Noodler's Nightshade for a few years in my main Parker 51. No issues, but I have quit using it and other Noodler's when #41 Brown delivered nib creep to beat the band. I don't know about the corrosion. Haven't seen it. Red inks and purples are claimed to cause sacs to deteriorate, so you might not want to use them. I have used Heart of Darkness in a 51 aero with a stub nib for a while. I am changing to blue black, though. Just a taste issue.

Sailor purples are other inks I liked in 51s, but I am not willing to have the original sacs destroyed, so I changed to Pelikan 4001 black and Montblanc Midnight Blue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I would use Noodler's and PR and other similar inks in an aerometric 51, NOT a vac 51.

The problem with the vac 51 is the latex diaphram is not as chemically resistant as the plyglass sac on the aerometric 51.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for all your input, folks! I finally gave it up for the moment and put Diamine Blue Black in the pen!

Any thought on what the DeAtrimentis document inks would do to the Vac?

Thanks for all your input, folks! I finally gave it up for the moment and put Diamine Blue Black in the pen!

Any thought on what the DeAtrimentis document inks would do to the Vac?

I could not recommend document inks for any Vacumatic 51 or any Vacumatic at all. You are using a pen with a ten to twenty year sac life with safe inks. It might even last longer. If you want to use document inks, bulletproof inks, red inks, etc, use a C/C pen with cartridges and fill it with a syringe. You are proposing to use one of the pens with a hard to clean feature and a rubber diaphragm with iffy inks. It's your pen. Bolster your restoration budget.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.