Lewis Glaser Quill Pen Set

SpockNard

I found a thread dated 2010 by the same title, and rather than add to it, I thought I'd start anew. I acquired this quill pen set by mail order in 1980, when I was working on the Navajo Reservation in Fort Defiance, AZ. My wife and I heard a story on public radio about Mr. Glaser and his hand crafted pens, and I felt that I had to support such craftsmanship, plus see his work in the flesh.

I am attaching a picture of the box and of the set, with 2 quills and an inkwell.

As you can see, I did try briefly to write with one of the quills, having had much experience with my Parker 45! I don't recall ever getting the right touch, but I still admire the pens.

If anyone has any resources on the "care and feeding" of quill pens, I'd be much obliged.post-138510-0-38971500-1504845383_thumb.jpeg post-138510-0-43030500-1504845445_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SpockNard

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpockNard

• sidthecat

• Bo Bo Olson

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a handful (a wingful?) of quill pens and my experience suggests that it isn't the easiest tool to work with. I can pull a nice-looking line with a dip pen, but a quill requires not merely the manual skill acquired with long practice, but they're very picky about paper. I think they really like a hard surface, which at the time I was messing with them was only represented by a yellow legal pad.

I should try again.

Interestingly, I just found a feather under my nascent peach tree in Fountain Hills, AZ. It's 15"" total length. The only large birds around here are hawks, eagles, and great horned owls- next task is to identify species. Then, methinks must make me a quill pen

Addendum: It is a Red Tailed Hawk primary wing feather, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service forensic feather identification atlas online! https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/

Edited by SpockNard

Sidthe Cat- Excellent! Although I may skip the "quill knife" step, I'm giving it a go today! I can't bear to remove all the beautiful feather, though. I don't see how to attach a picture in these replies, but I will take before and after shots, maybe post a new subjevt just for fun.

All that is left of the feather, is the tip to brush sand off the paper.

Old houses were drafty, with wind whistling up the chimney, so to keep the pen from blowing around in one's hand as one wrote one got rid of excess feather.

Once one knows that one grumbles at older inaccurate movies.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Now that is a fascinating piece of historical information, and makes sense! I still have trouble "plucking"the remainder of my red tailed hawk feather, as it is so beautiful (see "My First Quill Pen" thread), but if I do get to using a plainer feather, I will shoot for historical accuracy.

Or you can just go for the movie look and who cares about historical accuracy. I don't think the historical police will come drag you from your home. Try it will most of the feathers still on and see how it may or may not work. Maybe you'll discover why they did remove the feathers besides drafty homes. (first I'd heard that theory)

It's your feather (now), so use it as you will.

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Perhaps a balance issue?

Perhaps it's had to keep the plumes nice while writing.

I will observe that goose feathers are much less exciting than hawk's feathers.