Kwz Ig Turquoise V. Kwz Ig Violet #3 V. Platinum Cassis Black (Red)

andrewnielsen

This is simple. The Platinum iron gall ink is fun. It changes colour from blood red (if it is thick enough) when you put it on the page, to pale-ish maroon when it has dried. Even after a few weeks, no more colour change seems to happen.

The KWZ inks are a boring waste of money. They don't change colour at all. Not as you are writing, and not over the next few weeks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Jamerelbe

• Cyber6

• lgsoltek

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to disagree with that summation: KWZ inks are a milder formulation, and for some of their inks that means the colour change is less pronounced, especially compared to the new Platinum range. But my bottle of KWZ Turquoise produces a discernible change from a lighter, brighter kind of cyan to a kind of bluey-teal within minutes of writing.

I have to agree with Jamerelbe; my KWZ inks all change color, fairly substantially. Turquoise makes a very noticeable change to the darker side of the spectrum. Gummiberry goes from a grapey-purple to a purple-black. Maybe there's something up with your particular bottles, but I've noticed that all my KWZ inks, while not producing as pronounced a change as some other brands, are still quite noticeable.

Something else to add: my KWZ Mandarin IG was a bright orange in the bottle when it first arrived; now, 12 or so months on, the bottled ink is somewhat browner (it's already oxidised a little). I find that a bit disappointing, though I think that's just the nature of IG inks. There is still a discernible change of colour on the page, though - from a kind of orangey-brown to a kind of khaki-brown.

Something else to add: my KWZ Mandarin IG was a bright orange in the bottle when it first arrived; now, 12 or so months on, the bottled ink is somewhat browner (it's already oxidised a little). I find that a bit disappointing, though I think that's just the nature of IG inks. There is still a discernible change of colour on the page, though - from a kind of orangey-brown to a kind of khaki-brown.

That's interesting to know. One of the things I liked about Mandarin IG was the shift from orange to brown.

I find that, in general, IG inks are fairly paper dependent as to how much they change as they oxidize. I like some of the KWZI IG inks, but dislike others -- but it's a color thing for me. The only one of the Platinum Classic lines I've tried is Forest Black, but I'm finding I like it a whole lot.

@ andrewnielsen -- I got a lot of change (and a lot of shading) out of KWZI IG Turquoise -- and that was on relatively crummy absorbent paper; I was just disappointed in the final color, because I had been hoping it would be the replacement for FPN member Pharmacist's Turkish Night (he called it "cyan-black" but it's more of a "cyan-green"). And I LOVE IG Violet #3 -- it oxidized just fine for me. In fact the only KWZI IG ink I've tried which I *didn't* like much was IG Red -- and again, it was a color thing for me -- oxidized to much of a blood color (yeah, yeah, iron, hemoglobin, yadda yadda -- doesn't mean I like the color). I'm starting to wonder whether you actually got KWZI IG inks, or their regular ones, because I've had no issues with the ones I've tried with them changing, because they do oxidize -- a lot.... Diamine Registrar's Blue Black, OTOH? It ended up a washy blue grey. Great shading, but a snooze otherwise....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I will chime in with the vast majority and say that KWZ IG inks are great inks. Some of them have very dramatic change in colour, and because of their gentle nature (as oppose to most IG inks) they have proven to be very safe on all my pens.

The "lighter" IG inks (Mandarin, Aztec Gold, Orange.. etc) will partially oxidize in the bottle. But that is the nature of IG inks. To preserve them as much as possible, keep them out of light and make sure the bottle lid is tightly closed.

I have KWZ IG bottles for over 4 years (remember?.. I used to organize the group buys) and my greens and blues still show a drastic change in colour.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I have to agree that my KWZ IG inks have some of the most dramatic oxidation I have seen in IG inks, oxidizing within seconds to a much darker color, and almost fully within 24 hours. Compared to Diamine Registrars, R&K Scabosia, Organic Inks Aristotle which oxidize to the same extent KWZ does in seconds over a matter of months, KWZ IG inks was quite noticeable. I have IG Turquoise, IG Aztec Gold, IG Green Gold, IG Gold, IG Mandarin, IG Green #2, and IG Red #3 all except IG Green #2 have a dramatic change within seconds of color; from golden yellows to golden browns, or grass greens to muddy greens, or light blues to a midnight like blue black.

Because this oxidation occurs quite quickly, air exposure either through more permeable containers such as plastic sample vials, or loose caps can cause the ink to change to its final state. And as mentioned the golden yellow varieties are more sensitive to oxidize as they are very light colors to start with.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Huh, all the more KWZIs for me then.

I was thinking the same thing -- especially with the complaint about IG Violet #3. If it wasn't for the cost of shipping from Australia I would have told andrewnielsen I'd be more than happy to take his bottle of that particular ink off his hands. No sacrifice, really.... B)

And IG Aztec gold is rapidly becoming my favorite yellow/gold ink (and if you'd asked me that 5 years ago I would have said "NONE -- yellow inks are too light to be legible...").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."