Double Broad Inquiry

Pravda

Hello friends,

I hoped to ask you if it may be possible to show me the lines of your BB nibs.

All my nibs that aren't Fs of Ms are mainly OBBB/OBB/OB and so I have limited experience with straight-up broads.

When I received my first BB on the Heritage 1906 Tropic Brown, it laid down beautiful crisp italics that I immediately ordered an additional 2 for my recently acquired pens.

To my dismay, the first one arrived and laid down a blotchy/stubbish script. As you see on the second line in the picture below, compared to the line above it.

fpn_1504799233__img_0544.jpg

And so I asked MB to get me another one, along with the additional one I am still waiting for. In the meantime, I had a go at grinding this.

fpn_1504799598__img_0799.jpg

In effect, I believe I reached the desired nib characteristic. But it got me thinking, does a standard or regular BB nib from Montblanc give you the 1st or 2nd type of writing in the first picture?

fpn_1504799681__img_0862.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• dubhe

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say the first is more representative of my BB experience. But, as you know, all the nibs are hand finished so variation is not unheard of or unexpected.

I like to draw hash lines to see how much variation exists in the nib tipping. Maybe that would help you in seeing how much grinding you want to do to be satisfied? For converting an OBB to a BB you can simply draw the hash lines at a 45 degree angle and then rotate the paper 45 degrees to compare to a non-OB nib. I do this when trying to judge line width of a used MB that has no nib sticker.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks guys for your opinion and pictures.

I figured the 1906 being a thinner nib induces the crisp italics whereas the 146 size nibs got a massive tipping to result into the sample on the 2nd line of the first picture.

Alas while the arrived at result (2nd pic) appeals to me I can see how it's not the intended effect via a standard MB nib. Which is strange, because the tipping my on the tester BB in most boutiques if I remember correctly didn't strike me as heavily tipped as the current production.

My Hitchcock BB is closer to the first than the second image. Exhibits a fair amount of variation, but nothing like what I would consider an italic of any sort.

Again thanks Tom Kellie and EcelecticCollector for your feedback, its really helpful. I am anxious to see what the nib headed my way will be like, though Im starting to feel that obliques could be the way to go for me in the future

I only have a B nib (Brahams Donation Pen), but I was torn between a B and BB when getting making the purchase in the boutique last July, so I naturally tried out both nibs in store (on 146 demonstrators).

I was particularly drawn to a B/BB because I understood that they should have a the sharp, italic quality you show in 1 above, rather than being simply fattened, rounded versions of the M nib. My experience in store backed this up - the BB was very crisp (like your first image). The B less so. I presumed at the time that this was because it wasn't quite wide enough to emphasise the same quality, but on reflection I think it is just that all nibs are hand-finished and subject to slight variation in that way.

BB on Rhodia

~ Ghost Plane:

Ms. Irma may be bearing down, but she hasn't dulled your finely honed appreciation for truth in advertising:

Smaller nibs will never feel the same as larger, longer ones.”

Please do keep that gorgeous skeleton with its mighty nib safe and dry in the coming days.

Let's have another round of those “storm cookies and brownies”!

Tom K.

Chocolate cupcakes, I'm afraid. Been trying to use up what's in the house ahead of the power outages to come.

Hoping the enforced isolation gives me some writing time without incident.

Here is my contribution to this ...post-112550-0-27919200-1504947907_thumb.jpg

You never go wrong with a Montblanc...Please, have a look at my page www.nibbinibnibb.com.Thank you!

Excellent examples!

~ Agree.

The four ink colors are especially effective at showing the beauty of BB nibs.

Tom K.

If you refer to my post, I should mention which inks I used:

Gey was Oyster Grey from MB

Yellow was Golden Yellow (from MB AS well)

The brown was the Toffee Brown (again MB).

And wow, the burgundy writing sample was ... ta-ta-taaaaa: MB Burgundy Red.

I must say I am not addicted to Montblanc inls or so, Even IT IT looks like that ...

But I am addicted to the fountain pens from this brand, though :-)

You never go wrong with a Montblanc...Please, have a look at my page www.nibbinibnibb.com.Thank you!

Thank you all who keep contributing to my inquiry, it's valuable as it gradually forms a condense in what the average BB is like.

So far, it appears that the 146 nib is receiving more tipping than these of the 144, 1906 and 1912 making it less italic (sharp) despite retaining some line variation.

Hopefully soon I'll get the two I am waiting for the either confirm or disprove this theory first hand :)

I'll take some close up nib photos next week and post them here to add to the discussion. I could do it now but it's Saturday and I have a 9 week old puppy on my lap!

I'll take some close up nib photos next week and post them here to add to the discussion. I could do it now but it's Saturday and I have a 9 week old puppy on my lap!

~ dubhe:

Any nib images would be most welcome as your posts are always enjoyable.

Ha! A 9-week old puppy! As a 13-week old puppy shares my writing space, I smile thinking of what your experiencing.

I hope that your new friend will adjust to seeing you writing as my Zuji has accepted that fountain pen time is a daily reality in my household.

Tom K.