Omas Lives Again? Scribo

ParkerDuofold

exactly, and in my opinion Leonardo Officina has the right entrepreneurial approach and know how.

The produce for ASC, and the true manufacturer always has the deeper knowledge...

IMO we will hear a lot from them in future.

I am less convinced about ASC, when the Omas stock of materials will run out...

They have new models, cheaper ones.

For their own sake, I hope their business model and case is not based on the arco material only... and some quasi-flexible nibs. It's the same story (or very similar) to new Wahl-Eversharp.

The owner of Wahl basically said - it's his pet project, and they made sure that they get their money back (investment) and whatever they make extra - good job.

I don't see them being around for long (Wahl) ... as for the ASC - they may have a shot, if new models are good.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapprman

• strelnikoff

• Seney724

• Stylo_dOr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the Write Here news letter today they showed two pens broken down in components -

The next SCRIBO is on the way, and to whet the appetite here is a picture of the two prototypes - pre assembly, I'm afraid.

S.gif

http://files.constantcontact.com/f53b795c001/d6b1597b-53f5-49b0-b18c-58a110b662a7.jpg

S.gif

New SCRIBO

The first run will be of 50 pens - 40 red and 10 green. They will all have the SCRIBO nib which, as avid readers will know, is made by Boch to the exact specification as the they used to make the OMAS nib.

The build will be identical to the first run of pens - still a couple left! Are they any good? The feedback we've had from customers has been very positive - but what else would we say? Possibly better to look at this video from SBRE Brown.

Not too vicious, and, we thought generally fair! And he wrote later

"I liked that flex nib, by the way; some of the best modern flex I have tried." So, unsurprisingly, there will be lots of flex nibs available.

Something definite in the next newsletter - and better photographs!

I agree on this. Which begs the question - why someone doesn't produce more of the Arco celluloid material ... I mean, it's that material and hype around it - that drives the prices.

These days, I would never pay that much for Omas... good brand, but not THAT good :)

As an owner of a couple Arco pens, I selfishly hope no one ever produces more of it and that the prices continue to skyrocket so I can sell them to fund my retirement.

As an owner of a couple Arco pens, I selfishly hope no one ever produces more of it and that the prices continue to skyrocket so I can sell them to fund my retirement.

Nah. They’ll need servicing by then and the cost for custom parts will eat any profits.

I wonder in which direction will pen prices go(adjusted for inflation) in the long run. Some of the rarest pens produced around 100 years ago tend not to increase in price in last years when I was checking. I don't think there will be many collectors left 50 years from now, which should decrease demand accordingly

Recently I bought a pre-1918 pen to restore and sell. On its arrival I like it's well-preserved appearance so much that, hoping for a successful restoration, I want to keep it. Again. :rolleyes:

I suppose that is relevant in that dwindling numbers may have compensation in greater enthusiasm, like any cult.

X

I hope your hope doesn't happen :D for my own selfish reasons :D but I do hope you retire with a hefty account...

I wonder in which direction will pen prices go(adjusted for inflation) in the long run. Some of the rarest pens produced around 100 years ago tend not to increase in price in last years when I was checking. I don't think there will be many collectors left 50 years from now, which should decrease demand accordingly

My 2 cents on this - or my thought - if current manufacturers keep producing pens and if the demand keeps increasing, as well as if they conquer some of the "old techniques" namely in nib manufacturing, demand for vintage pens will wind down to some extent. There will be no reason to pay 1,300 USD for Waterman 7 Pink - if there is a modern equivalent for 500-800 USD.

But what today is considered modern pen, who knows what will happen in 50 or 100 years. It will depend on what is missing by that time.

It is the same token today, reason why some of the vintage pens are expensive is because there are no modern equivalents.

One market I don't understand well and don't follow is maki-e. I mean, Namiki Emperor prices today are between 1,600 USD and 68,000 USD ... depending on the artist and rarity. For these pens - 100 yrs from now... I have no clue what will happen.

Recently I bought a pre-1918 pen to restore and sell. On its arrival I like it's well-preserved appearance so much that, hoping for a successful restoration, I want to keep it. Again. :rolleyes:

I suppose that is relevant in that dwindling numbers may have compensation in greater enthusiasm, like any cult.

Only if the pen is really good and special... I don't see Pelikan M800 in demand 100 years from now. M1005 is even today sought after...

I mean - I agree with you 100% :D

But Boch nib... :unsure: does Boch really makes nibs to specifications? Or just modifies their own existing...

I mean - metallurgy, alloy content ... is that 14K rolled or forged?

then again, I've paid more for pens I knew they are not so special :)

To specification. OMAS used them when they stopped making in-house - including the extra flessibile. Visconti have always been through Boch.

To specification. OMAS used them when they stopped making in-house - including the extra flessibile. Visconti have always been through Boch.

I didn't know that about Visconti... I have few, but with 23Kt Palladium nibs...

Well, when I get a chance to try one, I will probably buy one. I can't find the 14 K flessibile Scribo on UK web store.

Well, when I get a chance to try one, I will probably buy one. I can't find the 14 K flessibile Scribo on UK web store.

Write Here sold out of the pens with the Flex nibs and only have a few of the 'normal' 18k. From the piece I posted above it looks like they are going to do a new batch, but how that will be split wise we'll have to wait to see as we will with when they come out (will it be the pen show in October again ?).

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic... This is what is currently posted on the Omas website (I don't know when this went up, but it would seem that this happened somewhere within the last couple of weeks).

Capture.png

Now this is not the first time Omas was acquired in recent years, and we all know that this didn't end up "bringing Omas back', but the company that bought it now is at least in the pen business itself, so I'm moderately excited.

I'm wondering if they'll try to bring back some of the people that worked there, and what's gonna happen to the nibs (will they outsource them? make them in Acora's workshops?)

Interesting news. I hope it goes well for them.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I wish them well, but what is the situation with the Omas celluloid? Omas isn't Omas without it, and from what I understand, Manu bought the stock when the company folded.

That said, I'd love to see a Tokyo reissue in better materials...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Now this is not the first time Omas was acquired in recent years, and we all know that this didn't end up "bringing Omas back', but the company that bought it now is at least in the pen business itself, so I'm moderately excited.

I do not read anywhere that someone acquired Omas.

I think Omas as company went bankrupted, and does not exist anymore.

Maybe they bought the right on the IP of Omas.

I found some of the Omas blanks for sale on a website. they explain: "We managed to close the deal on the Acrylate materials, the celluloid is being retained by the management team, who will be relaunching a new Italian Pen Company, and we wish them great success!"