The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

No. 1 Swan Nib With Letter K

3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 18:46

charity shop find earlier this week was a Swan/M.T. s.f. in mid blue, model No. 3170 - not particularly exciting until I dip tested the nib, which turns out to have some very creative flex, and one of the smoothest Swan nibs I've found.

The nib imprint says SWAN  -  1  -  K  -  14C-585, and I'm guessing date wise from somewhere in the 1950s  ...............   I think I've read somewhere on the FPN that the K stands for Kugel, which is a German word referring to the ball like tipping material so shaped to give good writing result however the nib is orientated. 

Of course I might have this wrong entirely - can someone help to shed light on my suggestion, please.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 19:34

I have just typed a reply to this which has disappeared.  So here I go again.

I have had nibs stamped G H and K with and without the half-moon breather and the Swan around it.  I have never worked out what it all means!

Cob

Edited by Cob, 06 September 2017 - 19:35.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 20:34

thanks  -  so my explanation probably unfounded.      The size of the breather hole on this No. 1 nib is unusually large  -  it's circular and for a small nib is probably the largest breather of all of my M.T. pens  -  it almost dwarfs the very small heart shaped breather on my No. 6 Eternal.

Meant to say  .............   having looked at all of my pens with a No. 1 nib, the breather holes on all of them are circular, and some of them quite large in relation to the nib size. 

Looks like I have D on a Calligraph Prefect and D and H on a Blackbirds, in addition to this K.

Edited by PaulS, 06 September 2017 - 20:36.

#4 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 17:48

I raised a comment many months back about the mystery of a Conway Stewart nib I found to have an initial on its foot.

A highly thought of and knowledgeable pen collector sent me a private email suggesting that CS had recognised a problem with the quality of their tipping at one point, and were thought to have added the initial as a means of identifying and tracking how the improvements stacked up.

Cannot say if MT had the same problem, but it would seem a reasonable way of quickly identifying a particular batch of nibs. 

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|