• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• rpsyed

• pepsiplease69

• billy1380

Here's a video we just did of the extra fine semi-flex JoWo #6 nib with Pablo's modification:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BacUtGbA_km/?hl=en&taken-by=peytonstreetpens

Wow... I would be too scared to push it that far... looks like you are getting about 1.5+ mm out of it judging by the coverage of the 5mm grid square. Kudos!

Modern flex nibs have two issues -

1. Does the nib actually change width and give an expressive line. In particular does it return to the thinnest line immediately when the pressure is released. That "hairline-to-wide-and back" is the quality of really good vintage flex nibs - starting with the Waterman pink. There is something in the way a vintage nib is shaped, curved, and it's alloy content that all contributed to this.

2. Can the feed keep up. Many pens marketed as flex will railroad pretty quickly. In the past Omas Flexible nibs came with triple cut ebonite feeds to help this.

While Noodlers Ahab seem somewhat disrespected around here, the feed is really quite nice for a flexible nib, and the nib can be modified to increase its softness (removing material from the sides) or to increase the contrast between the thinnest and widest line (thin the tip.)

The Noodlers ebonite feed works well to start, and when the pen first came out instructions were included on how to modify the feed to increase ink availability for a wide flex - it was specifically designed to allow this. I guess too many people must have messed this up (or sliced open their fingers doing it) as the newer pens with the same feed don't seem to have the instructions.

All of which is a long winded way of asking if the flex nibs from fpnibs have modified feeds to support flex. I think it's harder to get enough flow with plastic feeds (vs. ebonite). The little "tail" on plastic feeds to allow ink to flow from a cartridge or converter also restricts the flow (vs vintage, Omas, or Noodlers)

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I'd say that was bit closer to superflex than semi-flex....I had not expected that.

Yes, old feeds were faster, which is why they have few if any buffering combs.

When pen companies went to nail and stiffer nibs, combs to buffer ink flow came in.

Ahab's feed can be trimmed to make it faster...first with a deeper channel, second with removal of combs after one has done the Ahab Mod, to get it to the first stage of Superflex.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... I would be too scared to push it that far... looks like you are getting about 1.5+ mm out of it judging by the coverage of the 5mm grid square. Kudos!

We are very cautious about this, once you wreck a nice vintage nib you develop the feel for what is too much. We really didn't have to push the nib at all in the video. Maybe just a little under 1.5mm.

Here's a writing sample showing extra fine and fine nibs.... 5mm grid.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/misc%20brands/fpnibs_flex_jowo6.jpg

I have one of these in XF, and XXF (customized). I hope to get some time in the near future to write up a review - these are very interesting, though maybe not so useful as an everyday writer.

They are both flexible (that is, the give an expressive line) and are very soft. A little too much pressure will bend the nib instead of flexing it - you need to use care in flexing it. The two I have are actually quite different in this respect, one much softer than the other, which is surprising since they are both the same nib.

An interesting nib. But if you are really interested in vintage flex, I would recommend buying a vintage pen with a flex nib, which you can probably get for less than the cost of one of these. Might not be cosmetically nice, but probably more useful for actual use.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• 5 months later...

If you've got the money, Pablo at FPnibs can turn that thing into a REAL wet noodle. I've got one and it's my most used pen. Not great for math since it requires a slow, steady hand. but for writing, mine can throw down massively wide lines with gentle pressure.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I tried to price out this nib again and it seems close to $200 with shipping.

Have other folks tried this nib?

Would it be worth the mone

I've been using one for about a year, the XF keyhole semiflex with plastic feed. Don't know that I would want anything softer, though an XXF with ebonite feed would be interesting to try. Very tricky matching the nib, ink, feed and pen but, once I did that it became my favorite modern flex. The ebonite feed version may be less finicky than my plastic version. Don't know..

Two main problems. First, the high flow feed is very sensitive to any pressure variations in the ink chamber. Therefore, eyedroppers are not a good match and will often gush. Second, the nib flexes away from the top of the feed - by a lot. That gap breaks the surface tension that allows ink to reach the end of the tines. The result is severe railroading. Note, this is not ink starvation. The pen can gush (lots of ink) and railroad (loss of surface tension) at the same time. Some inks, like MB Oyster Gray, keep the surface tension going better than others.

Would this nib fit a TWSBI Diamond 580?

I am certain they wont. These are #6 sized whereas TWBI 580s use #5 sized. These would however fit the TWSBI Vac700 or Vac700R.

I've been using one for about a year, the XF keyhole semiflex with plastic feed. Don't know that I would want anything softer, though an XXF with ebonite feed would be interesting to try. Very tricky matching the nib, ink, feed and pen but, once I did that it became my favorite modern flex. The ebonite feed version may be less finicky than my plastic version. Don't know..

Two main problems. First, the high flow feed is very sensitive to any pressure variations in the ink chamber. Therefore, eyedroppers are not a good match and will often gush. Second, the nib flexes away from the top of the feed - by a lot. That gap breaks the surface tension that allows ink to reach the end of the tines. The result is severe railroading. Note, this is not ink starvation. The pen can gush (lots of ink) and railroad (loss of surface tension) at the same time. Some inks, like MB Oyster Gray, keep the surface tension going better than others.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the nib.