Wing Sung 6359 - Lamy Al Star With A Better Ef Nib For $4

Honeybadgers

This may be a flagrant knockoff of the lamy al-star, but it's also.... 90% as well made, but has an even better nib than the real thing and the clear grip/feed is way cooler than lamy's smoked grip and black feed. This thing really loves to show off ink! The best thing about this incredible pen is that it's just STUPID cheap. Under $4 shipped from China on Ebay. But it doesn't feel cheap at all. It feels freaking amazing, and if you gave a lamy user this and put tape over the parts that should say "LAMY" I guarantee they would not be able to tell the difference apart from the clear section.

fpn_1504679964__wings_6359_-_3.jpg

The nib is interchangable with the lamy Z50 steel nib. The funny part is that this EF nib is leaps and bounds better than a real lamy EF. All three of these I own have perfectly consistent, wet, smooth, nice EF lines. Lamy EF nibs can be scratchy and wildly vary in line width from 0.35 to 0.5. Honestly, these pens are worth buying if for no other fact than that you can put the EF nib on your lamy for under three bucks, when a real (and worse) lamy EF nib alone costs as much as FOUR of these.

fpn_1504679906__wings_6359_-_1.jpg

The converter in them is genuinely very good. Again, a lamy knockoff with a red knob, but it's super smooth and, damnit, I daresay better than the lamy Z24 in terms of smoothness. It also has a spring agitator in it! Amazing! Not interchangable, though. The benefit to the agitator is that it moves the ink more freely in the converter, not only preventing starvation, but it makes the ink window more usable (from "meh" in a real lamy to genuinely great in this) The converter is NOT just a standard international, it's got a broader opening. it won't accept a lamy z24 well, but it does sort of fit. I tried other converters, and the one that genuinely fit perfectly is the standard platinum converter. Perfect fit. So if you need a converter for this pen, grab your spare platinum one.

fpn_1504679927__wings_6359_-_4.jpg

The metal is a LITTLE less precisely made than the al-star, but there are no glaring flaws. The ink window even lines up with the grip nicely! The barrel punch for the ink window on the lamy is a little nicer and more purposeful, the wing sung looks a little more haphazard. But you only notice this when you hold them next to one another.

fpn_1504679943__wings_6359_-_2.jpg

The finish appears to be anodized aluminum, and feels quite durable. Dragging a knife edge along the finish does not chip it or scratch it noticeably. I love the "coffee brown" color, though it's much more of a burgundy, it's still just freaking lovely, and better than the other colors (gold, pink, silver) I hope they come along with more colors in the future, because damnit, I love this pen.

The grip section is a little cheaper feeling than lamy's and doesn't screw to the barrel quite as smoothly, you have to be a little more careful to line up the very coarse threads, but it's secure and thusfar has not broken. Cap snaps on extremely securely. Grip sections are not interchangable, nor are the caps. The cap on the al-star is a little broader, too, the wing sung also has a SLIGHTLY narrower barrel and cap. Genuinely, from a pure shape standpoint, the wing sung actually has a nicer profile.

Hasn't had any issues drying out when unused for a week. Instant start. No skips, false or hard starts.

The clip is a bit too stiff, like it is with almost every chinese pen for some reason. I suggest springing it a tiny bit so it's not touching the cap anymore, and it becomes nice and usable without making it look wrong.

Cap posts nice and securely and doesn't backweight the pen much. Cap's snap is more secure than Lamy's.

Differences include the slightly smaller diameter (it still feels exactly like a lamy, you only notice when holding them up against each other.) and no philips head screw on the finial. Instead, the finial has the wing sung bullseye/crosshair and the word "WING SUNG" stamped where "LAMY" goes.

Overall, this pen is... freaking amazing. Like, if you charged $15 for this pen, it'd be a great deal if they made the grip section's threads nicer and smoother.

If you own a lamy pen that uses a z50 nib, you need to buy one of these just to use the nib, because I promise you, it's miles better than lamy's awful EF nib QC. The nib is softer than lamy's, and will give you a tiny bit of line variation when pressed. it's also quite wet and smooth with the typical feedback you'd expect from such a fine nib (zero scratchiness, just that nice little 0.5mm pencil lead sensation of the nib on the texture of the page)

I did manage to spring the nib a bit when pushing it hard, where the lamy EF did not spring (it also did not spread at all, it's a complete nail) but pressing it back was simple and I was genuinely being abusive to it, so I don't think you'll have any issue using it normally (it will go from an EF-F without springing) it's mostly just a bouncier nib than the lamy.

fpn_1504679983__wings_6359_-_5.jpg

Both pens reverse write, but both of my Z50 EF nibs are scratchy and nasty and dry. The 6359, smooth and wet needlepoint on all three pens.

Wing sung is truly on a roll here with the 698, 659, 618, this, . I swear, if they actually set up a retail network in the US and charged double what they do for every pen they sell on ebay, they'd have an amazing market carved out for themselves. This pen of course couldn't be sold due to trademark, but still, they have shown that China can actually produce a quality, consistent fountain pen now, and that's just awesome. The 698 is hands down my #1 suggestion for a new FP user looking to spend under $20.

My only two complaints are small - I'd like the grip section threads to be less coarse and smoother, and the clip to not be so tight.

I used to give people eyedropper converted platinum preppies as giveaway pens to get people into FP's. Then I was using Jinhao 992's once they fixed the plug. Now, this is the new giveaway pen. Three of them have all been absolutely consistent in quality. It obviously can't be eydroppered, but it really doesn't seem to dry out, so a full converter should last a month or two at least in my backpack.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• IndigoBOB

• bob_hayden

• Intensity

Great review. I barely use my old Safari, and I've never been tempted to get an Al-Star, but I'm now considering one of these.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

Hey thanks for the review. How long did it take it to get it delivered? I ordered one on Ebay a whhhiiile ago and it's taking some time to reach me in Canada.

Great review. I barely use my old Safari, and I've never been tempted to get an Al-Star, but I'm now considering one of these.

The Al - Star is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better in comparison to weight and thickness of the Safari.

They fixed the 992 plugs?

yarp.

The only problem was the plug needed a smaller mold. They fixed it pretty quickly, though a few retailers are still selling the old stock.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hey thanks for the review. How long did it take it to get it delivered? I ordered one on Ebay a whhhiiile ago and it's taking some time to reach me in Canada.

About two weeks to Seattle, little less. China to the US is faster than the rest of the world due to the newish partnership between china post and the USPS.

• 1 month later...

This may be a flagrant knockoff of the lamy al-star, but it's also.... 90% as well made, but has an even better nib than the real thing and the clear grip/feed is way cooler than lamy's smoked grip and black feed. This thing really loves to show off ink! The best thing about this incredible pen is that it's just STUPID cheap. Under $4 shipped from China on Ebay. But it doesn't feel cheap at all. It feels freaking amazing, and if you gave a lamy user this and put tape over the parts that should say "LAMY" I guarantee they would not be able to tell the difference apart from the clear section.

I like your review. I like our enthusiasm. I just purchased a couple because I was thinking about a Lamy Safari, then looked for any knock off's/inspired pens, and then when I saw Wing Sung had a new one I watched youtube vids and had to give it a try, since it seems up to par with their new releases like the 698, 618, and others.

If you like the 698 you might like the 3008 version II.

If you like the 698 you might like the 3008 version II.

I have a 3008, I am not sure if that's a version 1 or 2. How do I tell if it's Version 1 or 2? What are the difference(s) , if any?

Your kind advice please.

I have a 3008, I am not sure if that's a version 1 or 2. How do I tell if it's Version 1 or 2? What are the difference(s) , if any?

Your kind advice please.

No worries... Here's a nice video that showed me:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/327646-wing-sung-3008/?p=3942131

The version 2 has a distinct click of the piston that's a locking mechanism at it's highest point.

Oh I have a version 1 (no click) I might have to pick up a few 3008's now, they're way better than the lanbitou they compete with in that price range.

I find the 6359 prone to drying out if left for more than two days unused. If you use it every day it never struggles though.

Oh I have a version 1 (no click) I might have to pick up a few 3008's now, they're way better than the lanbitou they compete with in that price range.

I find the 6359 prone to drying out if left for more than two days unused. If you use it every day it never struggles though.

Darn. I'll keep that in mind.

At least they have good EF nibs I can use with other pens. I was trying to find a decent Lamy Safari knock off.

I have a couple of 3008's on the way from different sellers, but I have no way in determining if any are version II.

Edited by IndigoBOB

There are also sellers on ebay selling lamy Z50 nib knockoffs alone for $2-3 in all the standard sizes, EF-B, and all the stubs.

I just received one of these recently and would agree with the review 99%. Mine is pretty scratchy with the nib upside down but then it IS an XXXF. My pen took two weeks to get to the NE US. I would add the 3001 78G clone to the list of recent hits from Wing Sung (aka WingS). I have a Parker cartridge in my 6359. So far so good. Lamy or the Hero 359 cartridges might also work as might a variety of large bore cartridges for assorted Chinese pens. This would not be my #1 giveaway pen because I find the Lamy-style section so uncomfortable. (I'd favor a Jinhao 991.) OTOH this does address my other big complaint about the Safari -- its nail-like nib.

I just received one of these recently and would agree with the review 99%. Mine is pretty scratchy with the nib upside down but then it IS an XXXF. My pen took two weeks to get to the NE US. I would add the 3001 78G clone to the list of recent hits from Wing Sung (aka WingS). I have a Parker cartridge in my 6359. So far so good. Lamy or the Hero 359 cartridges might also work as might a variety of large bore cartridges for assorted Chinese pens. This would not be my #1 giveaway pen because I find the Lamy-style section so uncomfortable. (I'd favor a Jinhao 991.) OTOH this does address my other big complaint about the Safari -- its nail-like nib.

Good to hear. Let us know how it goes.

I agree with you on the Nail-like nib quality of the Lamy safari, with which I refuse to go no smaller than a Fine, which writes more like a Medium Fine.

I was considering a wing sung 3001, but I am going to wait to see how the 3003 feels when it arrives.

This may be a flagrant knockoff of the lamy al-star, but it's also.... 90% as well made, but has an even better nib than the real thing and the clear grip/feed is way cooler than lamy's smoked grip and black feed.

I bought the 6359 based on your review and recommendation and you're right. It is incredibly smooth. I bought the coffee color. The barrel on mine is a bit better finished but the threads are coarse and the clip could have a bit more give. But still, incredible value. I bought mine for $2.06 off of Aliexpress. Thank you.

I bought the 6359 based on your review and recommendation and you're right. It is incredibly smooth. I bought the coffee color. The barrel on mine is a bit better finished but the threads are coarse and the clip could have a bit more give. But still, incredible value. I bought mine for $2.06 off of Aliexpress. Thank you.

Spring the clip a bit, just enough to where it doesn't touch the cap and it'll be much better.

It's sad though that they are so upfront about the copying that they include actual Lamy Pacific disassembled, shown among promotional photos for these pens on eBay auctions. I have a difficult time supporting direct knock offs of unique designs like the Safari/Al-Star.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”