• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• arthury

• fabri00

• Plexipens

It's German made.

Sorry, at the most that only means the tip of the nib, the iridium, was made in Germany. almost all of my Chinese pens say that. It is almost certainly a Chinese pen, not necessarily a bad pen but not worth more than the asking price.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Doesn't even mean the tip of the nib was made in Germany. This seems to be a groundless idea people post to the Web. No documented reason to believe any such thing.

On the other hand, there are still nibs made in Germany that say IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY. During the great falling away of fountain-pen manufacture in Europe some years ago, German nib-making machinery was sold by bankrupt companies to Chinese makers, which is how such nibs first came to be manufactured in China.

Agree with what has been said above by the other posters. 'Iridium point Germany' engraving doesn't mean the pen was made in Germany. The IGP nibs are found on a variety of pens made in XYZ countries/places.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 month later...

Go to the Amazon link at the top of the page and read the negative reviews (which may have appeared since the OP).

I'll admit that when I saw the steep discount ("savings" of over $96 US!), my immediate thought was "This has got to be a scam....." There have been some threads about sellers (on eBay, but possibly also on Amazon) who pop up, have these sort of "markdowns", and then disappear when they have the cash in hand.

Curiously, when you look it up online it gets you to a website with very little information except that it's a "private" company called ZVI (and a link to their Facebook page -- which in turn directs you back to either Amazon or to their website....).

This definitely sounds even more hinky than my initial gut reaction was.... :angry: :angry: :angry: Definitely a case of "caveat emptor" (and dare I say "It's a very nice box..." ;)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Website info - antoniodaparra.com

Name: zion vaknin

Organization:

Mailing Address: avitar acohen 20/4, beer sheva israel 84511 IL

Phone: +972.507766002

Ext:

Fax:

Fax Ext:

Email:remidos@walla.com

Antonio Da Parra does not sound like an Israeli name;-)

But ZVI may just be an outfit that buys these in bulk and sells them on Amazon. (You can find them on eBay too, in many variations.) The basic pen can be had for about $2 with a calligraphy nib. My guess is that somebody decided to fit a fancier looking non-calligraphy nib and hire some refugees and a woodburning kit. It's "100% handmade" because the refugees are not allowed to use their feet. Amazon now hosts innumerable other sellers on its site, and I am not sure its listings are even up to eBay standards now.

Who is Antonio Da Parra and why would anyone by a pen named after Antonio Da Parra?

Antonio is an Italian name.

"Da Parra" mean in italian "from Parra" but it does not exist in Italy a city or village or region named Parts.

So for me is just a fantasy name created to recall something Italian.

Travelling abroad for business for more than 30 years I've seen hundred of similar brand names, recalling something Italian but with no real meaning in Italian.

The same pen is available on Taobao from multiple vendors for very little as well. So "Antonio Da Parra" was just a front of that Mr Vaknin, buying from the real manufacturer for less than a dollar a piece and re-selling them as with the illusion of being a product by some Italian boutique maker.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Tony is best friends with The Marlboro Man. He is married to Betty Crocker but having an affair with Aunt Jemima.

(To those outside the US, all these characters are advertising fictions.)