First $100+ Workhorse Fountain Pen

Vunter

I'm sure this is a super common question but would like some input and some suggestions on a fountain pen ranged between $100 - $150. I was given an Amazon gift card so I have more to spend than usual and figured I would take this opportunity to get a pen from a category I previously couldn't afford. I am primarily going to be using the pen for long writing sessions; journaling, everyday writing, poems, stories, and college notes.

The two pens I have thus far researched and spent time comparing is the Pilot Vanishing Point and the Lamy 2000. I don't think I can wrong with either of these two pens and I think they will hold up quite nicely for long writing sessions. Having said that I would like some other suggestions that would be worth looking into.

Pens I Own:

Lamy Safari (Medium and Stub)
Pilot Metropolitan (Medium, Fine, and Stub)

Conklin Mark Twain Crescent Limited Edition

TWSBI ECO (Medium and Stub)
Italix Churchmans Prescriptor (Medium Stub)

Faber Castell Loom (Medium)

Jinhao x450 (Medium and Goulet Medium)

Edited by Vunter

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• Bluey

• Arkanabar

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

It might help others to suggest pens if they know what pens you currently have.

That's a good idea; I'll edit my post.

Going further, what do you like about your pens, and what would you change?

Do you prefer your stubs or the narrower end? What do you love best about the nibs you have?

The Loom I find to be super smooth so I like the feel and how it writes for that one. I just recently started got the Metropolitan fine and surprised myself in that I like it more than I thought I would. Having said that my favorite nibs are my stubs. I've been writing a lot of letters recently and find myself going back to the Safari and Eco when I am writing for a long time. I don't know if it's because I'm use to them but my handwriting looks better on the eco's and safari over my other pens.

Any of the Edison pens would be my recommendation. Or a Pelikan M200.

Pilot pens are GREAT however most don't hold much ink. (Many love their pilot pens and are fine with this). Some have bigger capacity but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Edited by KellyMcJ

You have a lot of options especially if you want to try vintage pens, but my personal recommendations in no particular order would probably be:

-Edison Collier

-Parker 51

-Sheaffer Snorkel

-Vintage Aurora 88 (I've yet to try one, but from what I've been hearing, it's a very good pen if you can find one!)

-Any of the Pilots are quite good

-Platinum 3776

-Sailor 1911

-Pelikan 140

My Vanishing Point (F) and my Lamy 2000 (M) are my two favorite pens, so I think your initial instinct was good. A VP fine nib will be kind of like your Metropolitan, but better, and you can also get a stub nib unit. The nib on my Lamy 2000 isn't quite like anything else I've used, and I was surprised at how much I ended up loving it.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

For under $100 you can get a Platinum 3776 Century on Amazon. Great pen. You can sometimes get a Pelikan M200 from Amazon through a Japanese seller in your budget. Both are good solid workhorse pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

These were all awesome suggestions. I went to a local art store near me that carries a couple of brands; Lamy being one of them and just tested the Lamy 2000 and wow this thing writes like a dream and is juicy and I couldn't wait so I paid the extra 5bucks to have it next day aired lol. I get nervous buying from third-party sellers on amazon, but I think I should be fine.

I'm definitely going to put a 3776 on my wishlist as well as a fellow fountain goer was at the store and let me try his 3776. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Edited by Vunter

.... I went to a local art store near me that carries a couple of brands; Lamy being one of them and just tested the Lamy 2000 and wow this thing writes like a dream and is juicy and I couldn't wait so I paid the extra 5bucks to have it next day aired lol. I get nervous buying from third-party sellers on amazon, but I think I should be fine.

Oh man.

You USED the local store to demo/test the pen, then bought the pen from Amazon :angry:

And you are nervous buying from third-party sellers on amazon, but did not want to buy from the local store where you could see and test the pen before you buy it. :wacko:

OK, lots of people do that, but that is how some/many of the local stores get run out of business.

They became the demo place for the various internet sellers, and don't get any of the profit on the sale. :(

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Oh man.

You USED the local store to demo/test the pen, then bought the pen from Amazon :angry:

And you are nervous buying from third-party sellers on amazon, but did not want to buy from the local store where you could see and test the pen before you buy it. :wacko:

OK, lots of people do that, but that is how some/many of the local stores get run out of business.

They became the demo place for the various internet sellers, and don't get any of the profit on the sale. :(

I have a giftcard at Amazon like I mentioned in my original post and since I am not made of money I have to restrict myself to a budget every month. Amazon was the only place I could buy a pen since that was where the giftcard was from.

Oh man.

Not really.

Businesses have to adapt or die, and that's how it is with progress and business. I showroom myself because I'm not going to donate extra to any business just so I can keep their business alive because that's not how it works. Even before the internet one could go to one shop to try out some clothing and then go down the high street and buy it somewhere cheaper. That's how business has always worked.

If they can't adapt, then tough luck. Customers are not their benefactors.

Rather than being a threat, showrooming can actually be an opportunity for businesses. It's all about turning weaknesses into strengths and threats into opportunities.

https://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2014/jan/15/showrooming-opportunity-retail-threat

https://econsultancy.com/blog/62447-13-ways-for-retailers-to-deal-with-the-threat-of-showrooming

Edited by Bluey

Not really.

Businesses have to adapt or die, and that's how it is with progress and business. I showroom myself because I'm not going to donate extra to any business just so I can keep their business alive. If they can't adapt, then tough luck. Customers are not their benefactors.

Rather than being a threat, showrooming can actually be an opportunity for businesses. It's all about turning weaknesses into strengths and threats into opportunities.

https://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2014/jan/15/showrooming-opportunity-retail-threat

https://econsultancy.com/blog/62447-13-ways-for-retailers-to-deal-with-the-threat-of-showrooming

I think you explained my sentiment better than I could. Also, the art store I go to is extremely nice and completely understood my situation. I've been in the store a handful of times and the two ladies that usually run the pen counter love showing the pens to people. This particular store does a pretty good job at being competitive too. It's worth noting that many manufacturers control the pricing so the dealers don't really have a choice as a reseller.

Yes, that's very true about many retailers having their hands tied.

At some point you may want to go because to that shop and buy something simply because the service was excellent despite being slightly more expensive.

That's business.

Edited by Bluey

Yes, that's very true about many retailers having their hands tied.

At some point you may want to go because to that shop and buy something simply because the service was excellent despite being slightly more expensive.

That's business.

Oh yeah for sure. I frequent that shop all the time for stationary, ink, etc... last month I bought another safari nib there so I do give them business when I can because they treat their customers great. I would have purchased the pen through them if I didn't have an Amazon gift card.