Muji Loot

katerchen

Lately I've come to like the Japanese 20-ring binder system. I have a few of these Kokuyo cloth-bounds in various colors:

51S4cWzB4lL._SL1002_.jpg

For the most part I've been using Kokuyo Sansara paper.

Every single sheet is a work of art with its headers and subtly ticked, perfectly aligned lines, but I also wanted something cheaper and more importantly : plain graph paper. Not sure why Kokuyo doesn't offer that :/

That's when I found Muji America and their generic refills. They call it "Plantation Paper" (which I'm guessing is bamboo based, considering the country of origin is Indonesia ?? )

Here's the product link (bad news is : there is no price listed anymore nor an "add to cart" button, implying they've ran out since then :( ... at least temporarily I hope)

http://www.muji.us/store/4547315265060.html

Here's the packaging and a bit of writing (Lamy 2k, Medium, Sailor Kiwa-Guro). That thicker show-through on the lower third of the page (more about that in a bit) is *not* the same pen as the writing sample but a very wet Lamy CP1 with a different ink.

IaebULf.jpg

First impressions :

• The paper definitely feels less expensive (which was the point) as it lacks the headers and rounded edges
  • It's also a bit thinner. Again : not a bad thing, Kokuyo is pretty heavy
  • The surface is an absolute joy to write on. Smooth but not glossy. It's not as ink-resistant, but there is no bleed through nor feathering. On the upside : ink dries super fast, no need to worry about smears like with the other one.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. Bought 10 packs, they will last at least a couple of years.

-k

Edited by katerchen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katerchen

• rluka

• inkypete

• senzen

Nice find! Shame I hate binders.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Available here in Australia too - I stocked up as well. Nice paper and very consistent. Reported on this in a few threads. Their binders are very well priced too.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Available here in Australia too

Yeah, I wish we had physical stores in my area ... I'm pretty sure the demographics of the city would sustain it quite nicely, but they only have a presence out West and on the East Coast.

Logistics, I guess.

-k

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread , wanted to create a new one but there is already tons of review of Muji notebooks.

My recent findings is this product in A5 size:

https://www.muji.com/sg/products/cmdty/detail/4934761910017#&gid=1&pid=3

For more or less $4.5 (USD), you're getting a 72 sheets (144 pages) lined, ivory/cream colored and most importantly fountain pen friendly book.

If you happen to see this, I really recommend to buy just for trying it out. The drawback is that it does not show sheen quite well, however I've tried the other Muji notes with 55% recycled paper (grid) and it excels in showing sheen of an ink which is a surprise to me.

I use Fine nibs mostly and there is minimum to no bleed through and very little ghosting just for additional information

That's when I found Muji America and their generic refills. They call it "Plantation Paper" (which I'm guessing is bamboo based, considering the country of origin is Indonesia ?? )

A year late, but Indonesian paper uses tree pulps. If I'm not mistaken, the industrial forest provides mix of acacia and pine woods.

But there are also articles about deforestation issues because the plantation can't keep up with industrial demand, the kind that makes environmental activists foams from their mouth.

Edited by rluka

A year late, but Indonesian paper uses tree pulps. If I'm not mistaken, the industrial forest provides mix of acacia and pine woods.

But there are also articles about deforestation issues because the plantation can't keep up with industrial demand, the kind that makes environmental activists foams from their mouth.

now they sell afforested paper?

now they sell afforested paper?

Not Muji's. Just talking about the paper pulp industry there in general.

Same with Brazil? The other big paper producer country.