The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Nano – Sei-Boku (Pigmented Blue-Black)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2017 - 23:49

Sailor Nano – Sei-Boku (Pigmented Blue-Black)

This ink already has many quality reviews, so I thought about skipping it, but as several older reviews have broken links and images, I figured it wouldn't hurt to add a new one to the pile. I’m not sure if I’d personally call this a blue-black (though to be fair, that category of color always confuses me...they're all blue to me!), but I’m a big fan of this ink. It’s well-behaved, attractive, and practical. The downside is that Sailor’s pigmented inks are more expensive than their standard inks.  They are still as reasonably priced as other “premium” ink lines such as Iroshizuku or Edelstein (that is to say, way too expensive for some people, bearable for others). If I were forced to cull my ink collection down to a small handful, this one would probably remain among the survivors, not because of  any one property, but just because it's so darn usable.

In the diverse family of blue-black inks, Sei-boku is definitely on the lighter side, to the point where I wouldn’t think to include “black” in its name. It has a hint of green in it, but not much. Of course, the ink is pigmented, so the line it leaves holds up well to water. In my doodle, the straight line outlines were drawn in first and dried for a few minutes before using a brush. As you can see, the original lines remain extremely clean and dark despite a lot of water and vigorous brushing. I’ve never had this ink misbehave on me in any way. I’ve read about some users having issues with smearing and staining. As far as smearing is concerned, I rubbed vigorously on my writing samples to no effect, including the very wet lines from flex dip nibs. Perhaps humidity has something to do with this. Only a little bit of smearing occurred on the ink splatter, because it was not fully dry when I ran my finger through it. As far as staining is concerned, I’ve the same demonstrator filled with Sei-boku for a few months, and have not noticed any staining. Perhaps the issue is limited to certain plastics/materials, and I have just been lucky.

Lubrication: Moderate

Shading: Moderate-High

Sheen: Substantial (red sheen, visible in regular writing with the right nib/paper combo) 

Water Resistance: Very High (some blue washes off the top, but the line left behind is virtually as dark as it started)

Other notes: The ink has a bit of a chemical smell to it, but much less so than its cousin Kiwa-Guro, which smells like a permanent marker. It doesn’t bother me (I don’t even notice it normally, as my nose isn’t usually next to the wet ink). 

The following sample was done with a Wingsung 698 (Steel Fine) on Tomoe River (52gsm, white, loose-leaf) and a water brush for the doodle. Flex writing was done with a Trionfo 900 dip nib.

Bad Scanner Disclaimer: Scan came out a bit too green. The darkest portions should not be as close to teal as they appear. Also, forgive the wrinkle marks on the scan; I had to apply a lot of water to this to make it wash. Those aren't smears! Photo included is a better representation of actual color, but I only have a phone camera, so the quality is what it is.

Scan:

fpn_1504482098__sailor_nano_sei-boku.jpg

Photo:

fpn_1504482123__sailor_nano_sei-boku_pho

Comparison inks from left to right (big smear is the featured ink):

Kobe Nagasawa #51 Kano-Cho Midnight, L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Omi Osun, Kyo no Oto #5 Aonibi, L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Oconto, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo

Sponsored Content

#2 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:11

Great review. Thanks! Can't wait to see your next ones :)

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:52

Stunning review.

#4 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:00

:wub:  :wub:  This review   :wub:  :wub: 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  YOUR DRAWING  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

I doff my hat in your general direction. Thanks again.

#5 fireant

fireant

The Good Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:53

Fantastic review!

#6 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:19

I love this ink! It's currently my everyday carry ink and I have a pen in my purse inked with it and one in my desk.

The color is both unique and so darn practical! I find it to be more on the teal side, but just enough to stand out. I haven't had a single problem with either of the pens inked with it either.

#7 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 21:21

Wow! Fantastic presentation of the ink! This blue looks stunning, I quite like it. Going onto my must-buy list.

#8 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:27

that's a nice blue.  and i enjoy your style of review  :thumbup:

-rudy-

#9 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:29

Another great review!  

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#10 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:11

I have to say that I didn't like Sei-Boku, but after your overwhelming review I will give it a new chance. Thank you!

#11 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:26

Not my kind of colour, but the review and the drawing are superbe.

Thank you.

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#12 catalyst

catalyst

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 00:54

You're killing it with these drawing reviews. I agree its nice to see some of the oldies get new fresh reviews. Also thanks for scanning and taking photos as well, I appreciate the effort.

As far as this ink goes I love it, and I would compare mine the drawing in the photo as I find it to be a very light "blue-black" ink. Either way it is very well behaved and I have left mine in a cheap Jinhao 992 for a couple months and it hasn't so much as skipped once.

#13 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,226 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:09

First time I've seen this next to #51. Thank you. Awesome review!

#14 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 21:06

This ink never receives its due. It's wonderful, yet, an undervalued gem in the Sailor line.

I love it and will always have a bottle of it on hand.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#15 Inkroyable

Inkroyable

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:56

Thank-you crahptacular for this beautiful review. This is the first time i have seen ink tested by creating art with it. Your timing was perfect - since my sample vial just arrived this afternoon.

Either way it is very well behaved and I have left mine in a cheap Jinhao 992 for a couple months and it hasn't so much as skipped once.

This is very reassuring for me as i just inked a Jinhao from a sample i received today and was hoping it would prove to be well mannered. Now, knowing that to be the case i will try it out for the next week or two and expect to order a full bottle at that point.

I have already written a long paragraph, let it dry, then held the Rhodia paper under a tap. The test sample was written with a Hero F nib and as far as i could tell there was no change at all. Wow, impressive! I anticipate it becoming my everyday ink.

Edited by Inkroyable, 21 September 2017 - 03:08.

the Cat did it
Posted Image

#16 grasshopper

grasshopper

Inlaid Outlaw

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 3,474 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:14

Wooooo.... stunning review! That artwork is beautiful.

I've returned to enjoying Blue-blacks in the past couple of years (since I got bored of it during my schoolboy days, decades ago). Yup yup yup... gotta try this one!

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

#17 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2017 - 13:55

Great review.  

I myself am moving in the direction of blue blacks and have this Sei Boku on order.

I was considering the Noodler's 54th Mass as well, but the ink sample and bottle I tried were so wet they bled through on Tomoe River using a Fine Metropolitan, so I am looking forward to when my Sei Boku arrives.

#18 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2017 - 18:50

This morning, I cleaned out my pen that has been filled with Sei-Boku for the last 6 or so months with irregular use. This is a WingSung 698 demonstrator with a transparent plastic feed. I cleaned it by rinsing with plain water. There has been slight staining of the feed in two grooves near the tip. The pen barrel has a slight black stain where the piston usually rests; this was there before I filled with Sei-Boku, so it wasn't caused by this ink. There pen cap also was slightly blue due to ink trapped behind the inner cap (you can see it in the second photo), but it wiped clean with plain water and a tissue.

In the review I said I had no staining issues, which turns out is almost, but not quite true. Instead, I should say that I have had no staining issues in pens that I cleaned somewhat regularly (every one or two months), and have had minor staining in this one circumstance. YMMV, especially if you have different pen hygiene habits than me.

Photos of the pen after a rinse:

fpn_1506278639__sb.jpg

fpn_1506278655__sb2.jpg

#19 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2017 - 23:50

I'm impressed with how easily the ink cleaned up with plain water, being a nano particle ink. Good show!

#20 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:03

I'm impressed, too, cuz the feed of the 698 stains so easily from inks used.  Tsuki stained the heck out of mine and was not at all easy to remove close to the level showed in that photo.

Sponsored Content

|