Pelikan M800 Vs Pelikan Ductus

Waltz For Zizi

Hello. I'm in the market for a Pelikan m800, but I've read a review or two mentioning the pen is slightly back heavy ( towards the piston nob), even unposted. I had a Pelikan Ductus, and thought the same thing about it. I didn't like this and sold it. Does anyone own both to tell me if this is true. I really like the ballance of the pelikan m600 (perfect in my opinion). Is the m800 different?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waltz For Zizi

• Joe in Seattle

• stevekolt

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

I find 800 a perfect balance whether posted or not.

Probably better resale value, too?

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Like the others above, I find the M800 perfect.

However, it is a little back heavy. It is perfect to me because I don't hold the weight of the pen, it rests on my hand.

I felt that the Ductus was way more back heavy than the M800 (about 2/3 of the barrel's weight was on the blind cap, if I remember correctly). It felt uncomfortable and I got rid of my Ductus. But I keep buying M800s ... :)

Edited by Lam1

The 600 is the superior pen for balance, is light and nimble.

It has 1.37 ml ink supply, exactly as much as an 800.

I grew up in the day of standard and medium-large pens that were still used all day.....not clunky Large pens that are bling across a conference table or as a 'signature' pen. :doh:

I'm not an 800 expert.... only taking three days to fool around with a real nice and springy regular flex nibbed '87-90 W. Germany 800. That era nib is as good as they say...and I now have a W.Germany 200. )

I would buy that 800 for the nib....even if the 800 is an overly thick....'fat', clunky....ill balanced posted, no balance unposted.....pen.

(Those who grew up with such Large Pens....think clunky is normal....because it is to them.............Oddly some refuse to post standard or medium-large pens whcih are designed to be posted for balance.... for religious reasons and complain they are too small. :P Well don't buy any tiny 600 or 400's or DJ' Esterbrooks.)

The modern 800 nib is fat and blobby according to what I read....and is a nail.

The '87-90 nib is and I think the ones up to the change over in '98, were thin, in fact according to a chart I have, had it's own width narrower than the normal 400 Pelikan almost between that and the narrow Waterman width nibs.

Back when that chart was made Pelikan was thinner than Parker or Sheaffer. The chart is so old....Japanese pens were not listed.

(Japanese pens still being far east nitch pens in the '90's. When they came in with the cheap good nibbed starter fountain pens...Metro and such for the American market, they became serious in taking market share.)

I don't know how difficult it is to get an 800's pre'98 nib....assuming it is still a regular flex like the M400 of that era. An 800 won't fit a 400 nib. :(

With a 600, it will fit a vintage 400 nib....my 605 wore a '54 B semi-flex :puddle: for a long time until I finally got the semi-nail BB made into a 1.0 Stub.

The semi-flex stubb '54 B is IMO superior to the modern semi-nail 1.0 stub.

A nails a nail, so there are thinner, better balanced nails, like a medium-large P-51 or some of the Triumph or Snorkel Sheaffer pens....or many of the '70 ones.

If balance is not a factor, there are cheap Chinese pens with nail nibs, and are fat and clunky for lots and lots less. :D

Sad to say the Large 146 (70's-80 one) is a lighter more nimble pen than the 800. I do prefer the medium-large 146 ('50-60's) over the Large 146, besides having better balance, it has a much better nib.

I was shocked to find out a thin Snorkel is a Large pen. But because of it's thinness and it was made to write all day, has great balance posted. All top of the line pens back then had great balance. :happyberet:

It don't carry near as much ink as an 800....in fact less than a sac pen like a DJ Esterbrook..

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you all for the great replies. I will probably consider buying an m800 but not right now, after I run out of the m600's I like, and are of course financially viable for me. I'd like to buy the Zeus, but is very expensive. Currently decided to wait for the M605 white stripes. I adore white pens. Hope is not just a rumor.

I have had a couple of M800 pens and a couple of M1000s. Both models have a brass piston works, and this puts some weight on the rear, and I sometimes found it annoying, but also sometimes not. What I finally decided was that I didn't like the size. I prefer the smaller Pelikans like the M600 and M605. They are lighter.

My favorite Pelikan, though, is coming to be the M320. It is small, and has a brass piston works, but this brass piston works does not threaten to tip my hand over.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

M800 can be just a tad back heavy but doesn't annoy me. I certainly wouldn't post the cap. I enjoy the girth of the barrel and the section. I am also considering the m600 for slightly easier carrying and nimble writing.

My M800 has never left my desk or the house. Ditto M1000.

Edited by minddance

Hello. I'm in the market for a Pelikan m800, but I've read a review or two mentioning the pen is slightly back heavy ( towards the piston nob), even unposted. I had a Pelikan Ductus, and thought the same thing about it. I didn't like this and sold it. Does anyone own both to tell me if this is true. I really like the ballance of the pelikan m600 (perfect in my opinion). Is the m800 different?

Here is the deal. The M600 does not have a brass piston block adding weight to the back of the pen like the m800 does. I happen to love the feel of my M805, but it may not be the pen for you.