Beware Of Scam: Stampandstaple.com

terim

I was doing a little research and found a company in Huntington Beach, California, that claims to be selling some of our pens, models are exclusive to Peyton Street Pens.

As far as I can tell, they just copy a listing I have on Amazon, and then double the price. I suppose if someone orders it from them, they could always order it from us if we had it. But I suspect they just take the money and run, or ship something else and say they fulfilled the order.

Here's a search on "ranga"

https://stampandstaple.com/search?type=product&q=ranga

We have found several rather clever scams which take advantage of loopholes in the Amazon system!

Most of the time, I tell people "If it looks too good to be true, it's probably a scam," but in this case I have to amend that and say "If the price looks too high to be true, it's probably a scam."

TERI

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• Fuzzy_Bear

• kestrel

• pen2paper

Wow, thats more than double the price! But isn't it great that they will test and adjust any nib before shipping (wink wink to NIvardo)

seems to be a Mail Center? there is a phone number.

if they're snagging your photos a desist letter might be a start?

Yep, it's a mail drop. No one answers the phone. The photos and descriptions they use are the ones I use on Amazon. These scams usually only exist for a brief period of time before they get shut down, but it's certainly worth a desist letter. Thank you for the recommendation.

Yep, it's a mail drop. No one answers the phone. The photos and descriptions they use are the ones I use on Amazon. These scams usually only exist for a brief period of time before they get shut down, but it's certainly worth a desist letter. Thank you for the recommendation

Perhaps file a complaint with FTC? they might disappear quickly, but if not wondering what steps will protect you..

Contact the local police and report the Mail Center as they are an accessory. A visit by the Detectives will probably get their attention.

I hate thieves and scammers .....

I was doing a little research and found a company in Huntington Beach, California, that claims to be selling some of our pens, models are exclusive to Peyton Street Pens.

As far as I can tell, they just copy a listing I have on Amazon, and then double the price. I suppose if someone orders it from them, they could always order it from us if we had it. But I suspect they just take the money and run, or ship something else and say they fulfilled the order.

We have found several rather clever scams which take advantage of loopholes in the Amazon system!

Most of the time, I tell people "If it looks too good to be true, it's probably a scam," but in this case I have to amend that and say "If the price looks too high to be true, it's probably a scam."

TERI

Any photo in your listings that you took or you paid to have taken is copyrighted by whoever holds rights to the image. If they "borrow" one of those photographs from your listing they are committing copyright infringement and you do have legal recourse. If a registered letter doesn't get them to cease and desist a court order and legal action will and the latter can cost the scofflaw a lot of money.

Whoever they are we know they will never provide the level of customer service that you do.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

TERI

Thanks a lot Teri for finding this Scam.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks a lot Teri for finding this Scam.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

All you have to do is write them and say they don't have permission to sell your items, and they politely reply and remove the listing.

I sent the contact email a link to this discussion, today I received two email back:

The First:

Hi ,

Thank you for brining this to our attention. We are very sad to hear that you are perceiving our company in such a manner, and I can assure you your comment will be escalated and not over looked.

We take our customer satisfaction, reputation, and online presence very seriously and will certainly find a way to avoid occurrences such as this in the future. I am escalating this ticket so someone in the management department can look into this and get back to you immediately.

Sincerely,

Suvojyoti

The second email:

Hello [removed] ,

Thank you for writing us about the products listed on our website. We understand that you have asked us to remove these products from our stores inventory. We take your complaint seriously and have removed all related products upon a thorough search of our inventory. We are constantly innovating our platform to improve the ways we detect and prevent potentially infringing products from reaching our marketplace.

If you see anything else of your concern, please let us know and we will take actions promptly.

Sincerely,

Casey

The link to their Ranga listing 404s now.

Edited by randumbum

In order of receipt: Noodler Charlie, Jinhao X750 M, Charcoal Lamy Safari EF, Platinum Preppy F, Platinum Preppy EF, Lamy 2000 EF...

This is when it would be great for a white hat to go and trace down who is doing this, empty their accounts, all of them and make their machines into anchors.

Edited by Parker51

I asked them why they were being deceptive in their listings and they got all huffy, denied, and then said they would look into it. No Rangas at all in the search results now. But, over 9,000 hits on "fountain pen" ....... they are a mystery, to be nice ...

A website under 6 months old ...... private registration and seems to be hosted in Canada by IP ..... Hmmm....

Edited by Plexipens

Not a lawyer, but filing a complaint with FTC, and state trade commission's may be appropriate.

They crossed a lot of boundaries using someone else's photos & commissioned products (edit to add & long standing good reputation), for state, interstate, international, and INTERNET gain.

Edited by pen2paper

The cynic in me wonders if the "cease and desist" letter will actually do much good -- especially after reading all the posts about the flurry of fake sites selling pens for way under their market value and then disappearing after they get their hands on the money.

Crooks are crooks. :( And I see an awful lot of street vendors when I go to NYC that are selling "pashima" scarves for $5.... And I think of the vast number of phone calls I've received for "there's a problem with your Windows machine", dubious charities, "You've won a trip to either Orlando or Las Vegas", etc. The worst ones recently are from people purporting to be technical recruiters, wanting to tell my husband about a *great* job -- which turns out (when pressed) to be halfway across the state -- if not halfway across the country. And of course you can't tell until you answer the phone whether it's legit or not -- just thinking "oh I don't recognize that number" isn't enough. Not to mention all the email I've gotten from people claiming my Apple account is about to be suspended (those go directly to Apple's fraud department), "You've inherited..." (a variant of the "Nigerian Prince" scam), etc. The latest is "Your Netflix account is about to be suspended!" (fascinating, because I don't HAVE one); Netflix was more than happy to let me know where to forward THOSE to, and the online chat person was going "You didn't click on any of the links, did you?" (and of course my answer was "Duh, of *course* not...."

There are already warnings on the news about "fake" charities claiming to be collecting money for Hurricane Harvey victims. Those sorts of people are just vile -- preying on the goodness of kindhearted people in the midst of a tragedy. :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Any photo in your listings that you took or you paid to have taken is copyrighted by whoever holds rights to the image. If they "borrow" one of those photographs from your listing they are committing copyright infringement and you do have legal recourse. If a registered letter doesn't get them to cease and desist a court order and legal action will and the latter can cost the scofflaw a lot of money.

Whoever they are we know they will never provide the level of customer service that you do.

Only if the pictures were registered with the copyright office.

Peace and Understanding

If I could get those prices for my pens, I'd sell em! $116 for a Parker Vector pink! $42 for a 4.5oz of Noodlers ink! Platinum Preppies for $9

$479 for a Safari!

Peace and Understanding

Only if the pictures were registered with the copyright office.

No need to register. Technically no need to write copyright and your name on the image, either. In the U.S., at least, the second you capture the image it is yours. So saith my stock agency and my stock agency's lawyers. I have had images misappropriated twice and won both cases. Neither image was registered or marked as copyrighted. All I had to do was provide the original negative/transparency to prove ownership.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I understand that about copyright. But you get more than just lost profit and lawyers fees, you get what I call punishment money as well. I am a photographer as well.

Peace and Understanding

I also contacted Fountain Pen Revolution and they had their products desisted. Same problem of stealing copyrighted images.

Peace and Understanding