Jinhao 159

mke

I like the Jinhao 159 pen.

Have you ever seen other colors than black, silver, red, blue, green, gold, yellow, purple, white, orange, copper/rosegold?

Each color comes with gold or silver clip/trim band. Apart from the purple which is only in silver.

There are also offers with broad (0.7mm) and medium (0.5mm) and calligraphy nibs.

Two 159 bastards LINK LINK

---

By the way, do you know that Aliexpress has sales at the moment? 3 more days.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Mech-for-i

• dcwaites

• Bluey

Wow, Pendleton nib work has obviously hiked up the price.

It's a $5 pen.

Ian

Thank you.

I think this is what I called gold. The photo here is a good overview (see http://s.aliexpress.com/U7biYv67) - there are cheaper offers however.

I haven't seen yet purple(gold trim) and copper(gold trim).

I don't understand Jinhao's marketing.

The Jinhao 159 like the 450 and 750 should get every year some new colors and designs.

Jinhao, if you listen, talk to me - I have a lot of ideas.

• 1 month later...

I have now all colors of the 159 - on Aliexpress they are all available.

By the way, the silver-trim versions have "all-silver" nibs, the gold-trim pens the "bicolor" nibs

---

One seller "forgot" one pen and didn't react on messages. Only after opening a dispute, I got an answer.

I asked them to send the pen. They didn't want to and paid the money back.

Aliexpress seems to pay only after I confirm that I received the pen. I don't know if that is a recent change because I also see that recently the number of tracked sendings dramatically increased.

I immediately reordered the missing pen with the same seller - the only one who had the yellow pen with gold trim.

It arrived today.

Now I am hoping that Jinhao makes new designs or uses designs from the X750 series - the shimmering sands or the leather-like would be really great with the 159.

Wow, Pendleton nib work has obviously hiked up the price.

It's a $5 pen.

Ian

It took me about half an hour to stub a Jinhao nib and get it to be a perfectly smooth writer, so the price of his work is fair.

The problem is finding a Jinhao nib with a big enough tipping blob to be able to stub it properly.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The Jinhao 159 like the 450 and 750 should get every year some new colors and designs.

Jinhao, if you listen, talk to me - I have a lot of ideas.

Pelikan could do with some hints too, except you need to be quick, very very quick, because Pelikan release new colours every day. And maybe the Pilot Capless too.

I think you've mentioned all the colours for the 159 as I've not seen any more.

Edited by Bluey

Companies who do not listen to customers must have good design departments with lots of new ideas or live in their own world.

The latter are doomed to fail. A kind of arrogance of the power.

Jinhao apparently doesn't care about having a good product and do some development/changes based on it.

They seem to prefer to throw out lots of new series. (Some of them look good, I need to acknowledge.)

But I hesitate to buy new series which are just "one more" pen of this style.

Additions to the X750 and 159, I would certainly buy.

A lot of the Japanese companies do the opposite. Develop first the existing products and while earning money with this, develop new products

Well one business model would work for one company but might not for another, for now Jinhao seems to be quite able to muster good business with what they have on hand. While I do agree an annual new color would be nice for the X750 and 159 I really do not think Jinhao would re do or even made change to the model ( physical design ) it really go against the mass production model Jinhao rely on. And I wager there is likely a hugh stock of 159 and X750 on hand so they probably do not want to pirate their own and their dealers with more new addition ( for now ). The 991 / 992 is clearly an ( so far successful ) attempt to lure younger customers who are not too keen on the conservative ( and oh so heavy ) metallic offerings.

You are right that business models can be different for different companies/countries or whatever.

But the basics are the same, I think, work on the present business and expand if you have the resources.

Clearly, if the X750/X450/159 business is successful, I hope it is, then keep the basics (size, form) and make a few changes (colors, finishes, new nibs, colored nibs) and you have easily new business. Especially, as the pens are not expensive. This could go on for years. Of course you would need to follow the demand statistics to see any changes.

Now if they want to do a bit more changes, a piston-filler based on e.g. the 159 and/or the X450/750 would be certainly a huge success. Or transparent 159s. That would combine a weight reduction with the pleasing form and handling of the present models.

A side question: Do you know how long the 159 is already available with this set of colors? 2013, 2014?

The HP of Jinhao seems to have vanished? No more Jinhaopen domain.