Montblanc Dog Ink 50 Ml- Special Edition.

PenBoutique

We were in surprise to see the Montblanc - Dog Ink ( as it was on our Montblanc invoice) . The ink is based on The legend of Zodiacs which Montblanc has introduced. Interestingly, Ink color is red. Looking at the Chinese Zodiac the lucky colors are red, green and purple - so it makes sense. The first thing which went into our mind was ..... Clifford :-)

At first, even we were a bit surprised also, as we could not find any information. But there is also a writing collection behind it -The legend of Zodiacs, albeit very limited edition with a book. But this is the first time they have come with the ink for Zodiac line and they approached us to introduce it first.

The ink color does match the new special edition of Marlyn Monroe Red color fountain pen, rollerball, and ballpoint pens. We have some pictures up on our website with Marlyn Monroe edition to prove this :-)

Here is the link for the Montblanc year of the dog ink. Limited edition with a limited number of qty available in US.

http://www.penboutique.com/montblanc-year-of-the-dog-ink-bottle-50ml.html

http://www.penboutique.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/m/o/montblanc-zodiac-of-the-year-dog-ink-bottle---50-ml-03.jpg

Edited by PenBoutique

Pen Boutique
Pen Boutique on facebook!
Blog

Pen Boutique on Instagram!

Columbia, Maryland, USA (Opp. to The Mall in Columbia)

"FPN Rocks!!! It also gives you extra 5% at our store with coupon code: FPNROCKS" Exlcusive for FPN members only

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• CS388

• Chrissy

• grantmm

Next year is the Chinese Year of the Dog: 16 February 2018 - 4 February 2019.

Now is the Year of the Rooster: 28 January 2017 - 15 February 2018.

So this seems like a timely release, if not a tad premature. Are you sure this is a Limited Edition ink only available in USA? Why would Montblanc release a strongly Chinese themed L.E. ink only in the USA? Will there be a swab and writing sample available?

* A nice list of Montblanc Limited Edition pens and inks lives here:

http://www.peneconomics.com/montblanc-limited-editions/

Next year is the Chinese Year of the Dog: 16 February 2018 - 4 February 2019.

Now is the Year of the Rooster: 28 January 2017 - 15 February 2018.

So this seems like a timely release, if not a tad premature. Are you sure this is a Limited Edition ink only available in USA? Why would Montblanc release a strongly Chinese themed L.E. ink only in the USA? Will there be a swab and writing sample available?

* A nice list of Montblanc Limited Edition pens and inks lives here:

http://www.peneconomics.com/montblanc-limited-editions/

PenBoutique didn't say it's a LE that is only available in the US. They said a limited quantity is available in the US. "Limited edition with a limited number of qty available in US. :)

I hope this will help people intrigued about what color the ink will be when applied to paper :) In this instance, the paper is Tomoe River. The pen is a Montblanc 149 Broad.

http://i.imgur.com/GdalKAL.jpg?1

I wanted to show the ink change over time. The squares on the left are 2 hours of drying time. The right squares are less than 1 minute old.

http://i.imgur.com/UDjaNoH.jpg?1

Edited by grantmm

AlthoughI am quite the red ink fanatic, this is the first Montblanc Red which doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer their darker red inks.

THANK YOU!

I have been awaiting purchase of this ink since I first saw it announced & perhaps a purchase of the Saint Exupery caused my initial hesitation. It is interesting that a (near) $50.00 bottle causes hesitation, when a $20.00 price doesn't. But, I decided I wanted to see a writing sample & thanks to you, I can relax & move on, without worry about needing, what would have been my first "Dog" ink.

This one seems a bit "Miles Davis" in saturation..........

Thank you for sharing this ink. I was reading too fast and saw "Year of the Zombie" instead of "Zodiac" and then spent a lot of time contemplating why Zombie ink would be red. *grin* Thank you again for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review. I saw this ink advertized today and wondered what it looked like on paper...

Thanks to your thoughtfulness, now I know. It was very helpful.

Thank you for sharing this ink. I was reading too fast and saw "Year of the Zombie" instead of "Zodiac" and then spent a lot of time contemplating why Zombie ink would be red. *grin* Thank you again for sharing.

Yep, I'd have thought "Year of the Zombie" ink would be a kind of gangrenous greeny-blue. Say, maybe Montblanc could consider that for another LE ink???

Yep, I'd have thought "Year of the Zombie" ink would be a kind of gangrenous greeny-blue. Say, maybe Montblanc could consider that for another LE ink???

Yep, that's what I thought.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

After thinking about it, I think the color saturation was a deliberate choice on their part. They're trying to emulate the color of Chinese chop seals. That would make sense.

It does remind me of Cinnabar.

Thanks for posting the images, grantmm. This is one I can pass on.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

I'll pass on this one also. I kept wondering and continued to have a bottle sitting in virtual shopping carts. I could not seriously justify the cost though. 50ml is a lot of ink to perhaps not like. No one provides samples since it is LE. Although I am a red ink junkie to my heart, this does not do it for me. It seems too kind of flat compared to some others. Not Valentine enough and not a traditional tone like Visconti. Corn Poppy is a bit better for different reasons. I only write with extra fine nibs so this would not be one I could get a lot of bang for my bucks! Glad you included it would not be appropriate for certain nib choices. It seals the deal for me. I'll pass and that is a difficult decision for a collector of exclusively red inks. :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding that this ink dries to a very matt finish, as opposed to a (more usual) sheen. Surprisingly, this seems to intensify the colour and it becomes a very saturated and vivid red on the page (with a wet broad nib, or splashed on, as below:)

fpn_1508069441__redchine_-_1.jpg

Yes, it's expensive for what it is. But, it has grown on me, since buying it and I'm really enjoying it, now.

For me, one of the (perverse) joys of LE inks is the knowledge that when it's gone, it's gone.

As such, it's scarcity becomes part of the thrill.

Thanks.

Since I bought it, I'm now calling it 'Red Chine' as that's what it says on the box. :)

To be fair though, when I went into the Orlando Millenia Mall boutique and asked if they had Red Dog ink, they said yes and produced it straight away. :D

Since I bought it, I'm now calling it 'Red Chine' as that's what it says on the box.

Yeah, me too. It's a great name.