The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wing Sun 3003 Demonstrator

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:59

The cap is just push on with a dull thumping clic ; mine stay in the office and it get used everyday , so far no drying out issue for mine but since I used it frequent I cannot tell if it would dry out for more extended time period.

Sponsored Content

#42 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:22

Push on. Mine does not dry out.

#43 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 14:36

I just tried mine.  The orange one was used recently in my tests of orange inks and it wrote immediately.  The other four opaque ones have seen little or no use since I posted about them more than three weeks ago.  They wrote immediately.  The magenta demonstrator has probably been sitting for about three weeks as well. It has always been temperamental, and true to form it was not in a mood to write when I first tried it.  But all it took was a bit of twist on the converter knob to get it writing very well again. Oddly, the cap on the temperamental demonstrator goes on with a solid click, while the others have a very mushy feel to them. So I would say these are generally quite resistant to drying out, though as with most Chinese pens you have to allow for quite a bit of variation.  If you really want one that works, order five, and keep the best three or four;-)

I am not convinced that screw caps are inherently tighter than skip-on caps.  The old Sheaffer Dollar Pens had a slip-on cap and were more resistant to drying out than most Chinese pens.  It helped that the cap was metal, and that it was retained by the metal trim ring between the body and section.  These worked well for a very long time, and if they got loose one could easily bend the trim ring to make the fit as tight or loose as one wanted.  OTOH I have had way too many screw caps (and sections)  that spontaneously unscrew themselves. 

Sponsored Content

|