How To Get Rid Of Ink From Demonstrator Pen!

justvrod

Hello FPN,

can anyone help me with get rid of red stains left behind by Diamine Brilliant Red ink in my pilot Custom 74 demonstrator (was in pen only for a week). I have tried hot/cold water, ammonia solution, bleach solution and somehow there are few spots that are unbelievably stubborn and don't want to go away. any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• justvrod

• Bookman

• Bluey

• BT_Summers

Will be watching this with interest, I have a Pelikan 805 Demonstrator that has been stained by Diamine ancient copper, I have tried a few soap solutions and solvents and nothing has shifted it, although I didnt use the bleach that you tried, generally I wouldnt have bleach anywhere near a pen.

Its a great pity, I have used Parker inks in this pen for two years, no issues, felt like a change because of the positive reviews on FPN, one fill with Diamine and the stain looks permanent.

Edited by smiffy20000

I've had success removing stains by filling with Sailor Doyou ink and writing through the fill.

Others have had success with a fill of Nooder's Red Rattler Eel ink.

It's the same with most demos. let Mr Brown show you

The collar should be friction fit like it is on the Sailor 1911. Place it in water newly boiled from the kettle and let it sit in there for a minute, then remove.

Edited by Bluey

Is it doing any harm ?

No ? Ignore it.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you all for replying...i was able to remove most ink except 2 spots in collar. I also removed nib and feed to clean it. I think I'll leave it as is and mark that ink as "not to use in clear pen" :)

Is it doing any harm ?

No ? Ignore it.

I may have to take this route!

Edited by justvrod

Is it doing any harm ?

No ? Ignore it.

That is a little like buying a new car and having a dent in the bodywork. Everytime you see the dent you are reminded of the cause.

Hi,

I am not too far behind Mr Payne - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-> One of my favourite writers looks like it was used to fend-off a cackle of hyenas.

This prior Topic may be more than useful : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/251595-best-ink-to-use-in-between-high-maintenance-inks-something-lubricating/

Oh, the esteemed Ron Zorn, co-Mod of the Repair Forum, has advised against use of bleach.

I had a recent exchange about removing a stain from a White Tortoise Pelikan. wherein I suggested giving it the moniker 'Blue Halo', rather than endangering the pen by using overly agressive treatment.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I am not too far behind Mr Payne - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-> One of my favourite writers looks like it was used to fend-off a cackle of hyenas.

This prior Topic may be more than useful : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/251595-best-ink-to-use-in-between-high-maintenance-inks-something-lubricating/

Oh, the esteemed Ron Zorn, co-Mod of the Repair Forum, has advised against use of bleach.

I had a recent exchange about removing a stain from a White Tortoise Pelikan. wherein I suggested giving it the moniker 'Blue Halo', rather than endangering the pen by using overly agressive treatment.

Bye,

S1

Sandy1, Thanks for sharing the link. I used a very diluted bleach solution (1:20) and used Q-tip for just that nasty spot. Didn't flush the entire pen with bleach. bleach solution was the last resort for me and it didn't work either. Now the pen will rest with it's war wound with Diamine Brilliant Red ink until some other ink takes over :)

It's the same with most demos. let Mr Brown show you

The collar should be friction fit like it is on the Sailor 1911. Place it in water newly boiled from the kettle and let it sit in there for a minute, then remove.

Very interesting about that pen and its disassembly. I bought one of those pens without having any idea what it was like. I was kind of afraid to use it. That demo would have helped.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Where in the pen is the ink?

There are places in the pen that you may be able to clean without disassembly.

IF you can disassemble you may have to use a cotton swab (Q-tip) to physically wipe the ink off.

But disassembly comes with the risk of damaging the pen.

That is one of the problems that come with a clear pen.

You would not see that same ink in the same pen but in an opaque material.

In my experience of cleaning out dried ink from used pens, RED and PURPLE have been the hardest inks to clean out. I do not know why.

@smiffy

No the bodywork is not damaged.

It is like a stain on the carpet that would be covered by the floor mat on a pen that was NOT clear. You would not see the stain.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Possibly the red and purple inks are hard to clean because they are ones that ruin sacs. Possibly they penetrate the plastic. I have concluded they are best in cartridge and C/C pens, and not in C/C demonstrators, where they might stain the section.

I am not sure whether it is better to just let the inks stain the pen. The mixed effects over time might be interesting. Most people, though, having spent good money on a demonstrator, will want it pristine. I am very suspicious that any ink might leave some level of staining, and this would be apparent over time. Inks are dyes, so you might expect some dye effect.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Demonstrators are fun especially when you put bright and not blue/black colours in them! It would be great to have a list of tried and tested ink brands for different colours to use safely with demonstrators

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Demonstrators are fun especially when you put bright and not blue/black colours in them! It would be great to have a list of tried and tested ink brands for different colours to use safely with demonstrators

That makes sense.

Cannot agree with some of the other posts above, leaving aside any odd logic.

If you buy a demonstrator pen because it is clear then, I for one, do not want stains on a clear pen.

A local nibmeister is reselling CNI Super 88. It's a laundry detergent that the nibmeister swears by.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

justvrod: After you filled the pen with Diamine Brilliant Red, did you see any of the ink trapped in the space between the plastic grip and the metal portion of the section? If not, you're lucky. If so—and I'll wager you couldn't get to that trapped ink—I invite you to see that the plastic grip does indeed unscrew from the metal part for a thorough cleaning. Watch this YouTube video.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

justvrod: After you filled the pen with Diamine Brilliant Red, did you see any of the ink trapped in the space between the plastic grip and the metal portion of the section? If not, you're lucky. If so—and I'll wager you couldn't get to that trapped ink—I invite you to see that the plastic grip does indeed unscrew from the metal part for a thorough cleaning. Watch this YouTube video.

There was ink trapped where you mentioned; However, i did took the nib and feed out for cleaning (I usually pull out nibs and feed if i can for cleaning) . my initial question was after cleaning (including removing nib and feed) i still had a spot left !

To experiment, I am now running same ink mixed with two other inks (70% Diamine Brilliant Red, 20% Diamine Ancient Copper, and 10% Noodler's Apache) in my WingSung demonstrator. will update if i get any spots in this pen!

There was ink trapped where you mentioned; However, i did took the nib and feed out for cleaning (I usually pull out nibs and feed if i can for cleaning) . my initial question was after cleaning (including removing nib and feed) i still had a spot left !

To experiment, I am now running same ink mixed with two other inks (70% Diamine Brilliant Red, 20% Diamine Ancient Copper, and 10% Noodler's Apache) in my WingSung demonstrator. will update if i get any spots in this pen!

You've mentioned or confirmed two specific locations where you found ink stains: (1) between the plastic grip and the metal part of the section, and (2) the one you mentioned in your second post, where you seemed to be stuck with two spots on the nib/feed collar. I understand you removed the nib and feed for cleaning and worked on that part of the project in earnest. But I'm curious: were you able to unscrew the plastic grip from the metal part of the section to clean the stain(s) you found there? What happened to the ink you saw between the plastic grip and the metal part of the section?

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.