Parker 61

PenHero

... round ended barrels were a common feature on f.ps. for many decades, and suppose we look at them and they make us think of older things. But when you look at the square ended 61, with metal jewel/tassie, it immediately looks more recent.

So the "recent " jewel/tassie like the Vacumatic of the 1930s or the original form of the "51" in the early 1940's or even the Esterbrook Model J of the late 1940's?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• PenHero

• mitto

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

But when you look at the square ended 61, with metal jewel/tassie, it immediately looks more recent.

Well, that's why Parker did redesign the "51" as well before production was stopped:

34365362732_8c2ca815f7_o.jpg

Parker "51" Mk III

C.

Imho there's a small design change makes all the difference between the 51 and 61, making the latter look instantly modern compared to the 51. And this is the terminal end of the barrel .............. round ended barrels were a common feature on f.ps. for many decades, and suppose we look at them and they make us think of older things. But when you look at the square ended 61, with metal jewel/tassie, it immediately looks more recent.

That's not a criticism of either, but just a reflection that round end barrels look to be of a certain era, and square ended ones appear more recent. :)

I doubt that you will find many will agree with you on the idea that round ended barrels look dated and square ended barrels look more recent.

Edited by Beechwood

fair criticism which I accept, and there are more square ended butts than I had appreciated - I was perhaps limiting my comparison of the 61s barrel end with the 51, and still think that the 61s rear appears more streamlined than the 51. :)

Yes, flatter ends plus streamlining is what makes the 61 look modern.

Whether a basic shape looks classic or modern also depends on styling. To me, flat-ended Sailors don’t look more modern than their cigar-shaped counterparts (it's those bulgy cap bands). Flat-ended Pilots do because of the sleeker clip.

Or compare a Lamy 2000 and a Sheaffer No Nonsense: both 60s pens, both squared-off -- but the cylindrical No Nonsense is (deliberately) retro while the streamlined 2000 still looks modern.

• 3 weeks later...

very nice pen - possibly the Vista Blue Turquoise?

I have the ballpoint and the pencil in this color. Unfortunately, the fountpen pen's section/hood disintegrated. And currently I am using its nib in one of my P51s. The rest of the body - the cap, barrel, filler and all other innards are still intact and I am in search of a shell/hood and a nib to complete the set once again.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

christof, those are beautiful. I appreciate seeing them, and especially the reminder that truly great condition is probably worth the price :D

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Parker Glory !

I trimmed a rubber earbulb to fit tightly over the filler, so I can force flush water through the system. The same earbulb can be used, from the nib end, for back-flush. Very efficient.

I warn against using an ultra-sonic cleaner, as the gold arrow inset can come off.

Remember the magazine picture of actor William Holden, waiting for his Parker 61 to fill ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Parker Glory !

I trimmed a rubber earbulb to fit tightly over the filler, so I can force flush water through the system. The same earbulb can be used, from the nib end, for back-flush. Very efficient.

I warn against using an ultra-sonic cleaner, as the gold arrow inset can come off.

Remember the magazine picture of actor William Holden, waiting for his Parker 61 to fill ?

Thank you Sasha. Hadn't thought about losing the arrow to the ultrasonic... appreciate the warning before I did it :wacko:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I have the ballpoint and the pencil in this color. Unfortunately, the fountpen pen's section/hood disintegrated. And currently I am using its nib in one of my P51s. The rest of the body - the cap, barrel, filler and all other innards are still intact and I am in search of a shell/hood and a nib to complete the set once again.

If I see one for sale at the London Pen show I will get it for you, with my compliments.

Mitto, Is it a gold or silver colored cap?

I think I have a shell, but it has a silver arrow.

The Parker 61 is one of my favourites too.

I'm wondering, should I dare put IG ink (eg. ESSRI) in it? I've read some warnings about it but haven't heard of any precedent when the IG ink actually damaged the 61. So just out of curiosity, what do you guys think?

The Parker 61 is one of my favourites too.

I'm wondering, should I dare put IG ink (eg. ESSRI) in it? I've read some warnings about it but haven't heard of any precedent when the IG ink actually damaged the 61. So just out of curiosity, what do you guys think?

I'm not sure I would. I'd be a bit worried about clogging -- especially if you have one of the capillary filler models.

But then, I did put De Atramentis Apple Blossom (a scented ink as well as an ink with a red dye component) in one of mine (the other one, once it finally got empties out and flushed, is making me wonder if it would really be cost effective to buy one of the 100 ml bottles of Eclat de Saphir.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mitto, Is it a gold or silver colored cap?

I think I have a shell, but it has a silver arrow.

Thank you, crescentfiller. It is a gold cap one. Anyhow, I am touched by the generosity you have shown. Thank you once again.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I'm not sure I would. I'd be a bit worried about clogging -- especially if you have one of the capillary filler models.

But then, I did put De Atramentis Apple Blossom (a scented ink as well as an ink with a red dye component) in one of mine (the other one, once it finally got empties out and flushed, is making me wonder if it would really be cost effective to buy one of the 100 ml bottles of Eclat de Saphir.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes, I have a capillary filler model. I've heard this warning several times, but haven't heard of any basis, ie. anyone who actually clogged their capillary filler with IG ink.

I doubt that you will find many will agree with you on the idea that round ended barrels look dated and square ended barrels look more recent.

A couple of years ago, I was in an antique store and the young woman there thought the older square-ended pens I was looking at were more modern than the "streamlined" pens. I'd never thought about it before but a lot of contemporary pens look a lot more like older Duofolds than Sheaffer Balances.

Interesting thread and pen, I'm watching Grandmia Pens video on how to clean them, I can't believe all the engineering that went into this pen. Unfortunately it reminds me of another overengineered product, the Citroën Xantia: hop into your car, wait for the suspension to adjust, and only then drive off... Drove their owners mad.

It might just be the ultimate test in patience for me, except I'm also risk averse. I don't like the aesthetics of hooded nibs but somehow this works with that ornament (?) on the barrel.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell