Caran D'ache Or Graf Von Faber Castell?

rh968

For my next major purchase I would like to buy a Graf von Faber Castell or a Caran d'ache, but I am totally new to these brands, and so would like some advice, please. I probably wouldn't want an Ecridor (C d'a) and with GVFC it would most likely be a Guilloche Chevron. C d'a seem on the whole more expensive, or is that simply the UK exchange rate being erratic? Any personal quibbles or favourites - all comments gratefully received!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieB

• jar

• rh968

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question! These are two brands that have good reputations but tend to fly under the radar. I'll be interested to learn more about them.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Looking around, I see more about Graf von Faber Castell than Caran d'ache, which has very few comments on FPN.

GVFC is my FAVORITE brand.

Their pens are incredibly well put together and I personally LOVE the design. I have almost all of the designs and even a few of the Year pens. However the one that always have with me are the Intuitions. I really love everything about these pens. The unique design of the body, the cap design, the way the thickness of the seamless grip allows for a very comfortable hold, and the snap cap. Of course the nib is amazing. I have so many of these pens and ALL write straight out of the box.

Currently I have 2 CDAs. They are also VERY well put together, but I find their designs less inspiring. They also have made very interesting design decisions that limit their appeal. All their pens are on the thin side and have slick metal grips. Both negatives in many collectors books. I have both the Rubracer and also a Leman. They are WAY more expensive than other pens in the same category by a third and all their pens have tiny nibs. But if you can stomach the price and also find the unique design appeal, then it's for you.

Somewhere here at FPN are the comparison reviews I did of Cd'A and GvFC models. The closest comparison would likely be between the GvFC Classic and the Cd'A Varius Metwood. I must admit that I find the Metwood stays in rotation and gets refilled more often than the Classics even though I own far more Classics.

http://www.fototime.com/C0C101565F3586C/large.jpg

My Website

Wow! Those two pens are almost identical When they are capped. Would you be willing to post a second pic with the pens uncapped so we could see the sections and the nibs?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Wow! Those two pens are almost identical When they are capped. Would you be willing to post a second pic with the pens uncapped so we could see the sections and the nibs?

http://www.fototime.com/58137C40EDE16A3/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CEA9894495DA725/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CA6EB51690AF1A5/medium800.jpg

My Website

Thanks! Even the sections and the nibs look similar.

CharlieB

Thanks! Even the sections and the nibs look similar.

The Cd'A is slightly slimmer but more concave and so naturally positions the fingers for extended use. It also takes fewer turns to cap and uncap and is just slightly forward balanced when posted while the GvFC is slightly reverse balanced when posted. Both are close enough that balance is not an issue but does create two distinctly different feels. You hold the GvFC but simply guide the Cd'A.

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

I love GvFC pens and have the intuition in ebony wood and the terra cotta finish. they write amazing. i also have a classic which is excellent as well. they don't get much representation anywhere. some of the best engineered pens.

I got my first GvFC pen about a month ago, I liked the way it wrote so much that I now have 3 with another one on the way. So far each one has been flawless and writes like a dream.

My GvFC Classic has been an utter joy to hold and use from the very first time I held it.

Easily in my top 5 pens :wub: :wub:

So comfortable and well balanced. It is heavy but I never tire whilst using it. The pen is equally at home writing long letters & notes or sketching away.

I've not had the pleasure of using a Caran d'Ache fountain pen but can't recommend the GvFC Classic highly enough.

Best of luck.