A Good Small, F Montblanc?

theverdictis

Hey all,

Any recommendations on a good small/slim Montblanc fine nib pen?

Been looking at the 146 and was wondering if there are any 'experts' with using this as an every day writer. I prefer slim/small pens with a fine nib to write for extended periods and really like the Montblanc brand.

Kind Regards

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• farmdogfan

• theverdictis

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

The smallest Montblanc FP is the Mozart, then the next smallest is the 145 or new Classic. The Mozart is a cartridge only pen and the 145 is a cartridge or converter pen. These both have F nibs available as an option. :)

I, and many other members, prefer to use the 146 or Le Grand as a daily writer because it is a really good size in the hand, as well as being a piston filling FP. :wub:

Thanks for the input. Would definitely prefer a piston filler over a cartridge/converter.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

You prefer a slimmer fountain pen and you like to habe a piston filler?

Then look for a vintage Montblanc 142 or 144 from the 1950th!

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

~ What penparadise has written is excellent advice.

This week I noticed several quality 1950s 144 fountain pens, several of which have F nibs.

The 144 is slim, comfortable in the fingers, even for someone with large hands like mine.

I usually write with 149s, but also enjoy using 144s.

An Internet search is sure to yield a few older 144s with F nibs for your to consider.

In any case, I hope that you find a pen that you love to write with.

Tom K.

Personally I find the 146 most uninspiring in terms of design and size. Big enough that it will always attract attention, but the design just a little traditional and staid. I find the limited editions based on the 146 very interesting because they are all slightly larger and quite a bit heavier because of the different external designs and material choices.

I actually find the 144 most satisfying as a regular daily user. Small enough to go undetected most of the time, really easy to clean and change ink, and the smaller nibs perform admirably. I personally LOVE my Mozart but I know people might find it a midge small.

May I put in a recommendation for the 344? It fulfills all the OP's requirements. I have two of them, and they both write like a dream and are very comfortable.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That would be my choice as well.

Are these pretty cheap to buy?

I actually find the 144 most satisfying as a regular daily user. Small enough to go undetected most of the time, really easy to clean and change ink, and the smaller nibs perform admirably. I personally LOVE my Mozart but I know people might find it a midge small.

Are these pretty cheap to buy?

~ Seeing the 144 praised does my heart good.

Everything which gerigo has written is my feeling, also.

In classroom and laboratory settings, 144s are relatively discreet.

The nibs are nothing less than outstanding.

I use converters, rather than cartridges, and have never experienced any difficulties.

Are they cheap?

Well, I'm uncertain what price range might qualify.

Both new from a boutique, or pre-owned from various sources, 144s have seemed affordable to me.

They're fountain pens which never make much of a dent in my budget.

You want an F nib, which sounds ideal. As I've mentioned, EF nibs on a 144 are a joy to use, or at least that's been my happy experience.

As gerigo has explained elsewhere, she's found that Montblanc nibs vary in size, despite whatever they happen to be labeled.

In my case, the two 144 EF nibs are unquestionably EF size, which suits my professional needs.

Tom K.

The fifties 142-144 are piston fillers (two-stage).

~ farmdogfan:

May I please ask what “two-stage” means above?

Were those 1950s 142–144 piston fillers in some way different from contemporary piston fillers?

I'm ignorant of this, and somehow never noticed it mentioned before.

Tom K.

~ farmdogfan:

May I please ask what “two-stage” means above?

Were those 1950s 142–144 piston fillers in some way different from contemporary piston fillers?

I'm ignorant of this, and somehow never noticed it mentioned before.

Tom K.

Fountainbel has made a drawing of the two-stage filling system that shows the inside of the system (i just can´t find it at the moment).

The pic shows my 142 piston assembly, when turning the piston knob CCV the telescopic tubes extend and turning CV retracts them, this system allows for a bigger ink capacity than a one stage piston system.

fpn_1503858878__dpp_19911_copy.jpg

~ farmdogfan:

Thank you so much!

The image and explanation opened my eyes.

Tom K.

I love my 144 fine point. It is one of two pens that i can write with for hours. The other is a Pelikan m400 with fine nib.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

How about the 12, 22, 32 series? Slim, small, piston and cheaper than every other MB mentioned so far. Also pretty easy to maintain and clean.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!