The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2017 Ohio Pen Show!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 18:08

Hah!  Just looked up Ghoulardi and he sounds like Cleveland's answer to Chilly Billy here in Pittsburgh.  Don't remember an equivalent host in the NYC area but apparently there was one at some point, on Creature Feature on WNEW Channel 5 (which back in the 1970s and 1980s was an independent station).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The MIdwest is such a wonderful hotbed of movie hosts.  The Cleveland area alone is responsible not only for Ghoulardi, but for The Ghoul, Son of Ghoul, Houlihan and Big Chuck/Big Chuck and Lil' John, and Superhost.  Up in Detroit there was the wonderful Sir Graves Ghastley.  Here in Columbus there was (and still is) Fritz the Nite Owl.  And of course Chilly Billy in Pittsburgh (who played the newscaster in the original Night of the Living Dead).

Ghoulardi and Chilly Billy were roughly contemporaneous -- Ghoulardi started in 1963 and Billy in 1964.  Ghoulardi, alas, was off the air by 1966, while I know Chilly Billy ran through at least the early '80s.  Ghoulardi's spinoffs are still going, one way or the other -- Big Chuck and Lil' John lasted until they retired in 2007, and The Ghoul is still at it.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

Sponsored Content

#22 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 22:56

We had Svengoolie in Chicago.  

image.jpeg

#23 fullfederhalter

fullfederhalter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 00:54

The MIdwest is such a wonderful hotbed of movie hosts.  The Cleveland area alone is responsible not only for Ghoulardi, but for The Ghoul, Son of Ghoul, Houlihan and Big Chuck/Big Chuck and Lil' John, and Superhost.  Up in Detroit there was the wonderful Sir Graves Ghastley.  Here in Columbus there was (and still is) Fritz the Nite Owl.  And of course Chilly Billy in Pittsburgh (who played the newscaster in the original Night of the Living Dead).

Ghoulardi and Chilly Billy were roughly contemporaneous -- Ghoulardi started in 1963 and Billy in 1964.  Ghoulardi, alas, was off the air by 1966, while I know Chilly Billy ran through at least the early '80s.  Ghoulardi's spinoffs are still going, one way or the other -- Big Chuck and Lil' John lasted until they retired in 2007, and The Ghoul is still at it.

Interesting.  Growing up in Pittsburgh in the 1960's, I remember Chilly Billy Cardille very well.  I recall once reading that another former Pittsburgher, actor and comedian Joe Flaherty, created his "Count Floyd" character on SCTV based on Chilly Billy.  Here is a link to Count Floyd on "Monster Chiller Horror Theater," and the fictional movie, "Blood Sucking Monkeys from West Mifflin PA"!

#24 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 16:13

Zacherley (who died last year at age 98) in New York and Philadelphia, and Elvira Mistress of the Dark who was my personal favorite for a couple of reasons.  Pictures of both below.  I'll leave you to figure out who was who.

Zacherle.jpg

Elvira.jpg

#25 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 00:06

The funny thing about Elvira is that in reality the actress who plays Elvira is a redhead.  She can walk around in stores without the crazy wig and nobody knows who she is.

For some reason, Zacherley sounds familiar.  But I haven't lived in the New York City area for 30 years....  Was he a DJ on one of the FM stations?

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#26 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:33

In Wisconsin we had Lenny's Inferno.  Sponsored by American TV.

#27 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• 1,126 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 14:49

The funny thing about Elvira is that in reality the actress who plays Elvira is a redhead.  She can walk around in stores without the crazy wig and nobody knows who she is.

For some reason, Zacherley sounds familiar.  But I haven't lived in the New York City area for 30 years....  Was he a DJ on one of the FM stations?

He hosted a late night TV horror movie show where he'd do a little monologue or some clowning around during breaks in the movie.  I think it was perhaps the 1960's when I used to watch him.

#28 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• 1,126 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 14:51

Wait, what?  She's an actress???  And not everything about her is real????  But.... but.....

#29 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 14:59

Wait, what?  She's an actress???  And not everything about her is real????  But.... but.....

:lticaptd:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#30 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 16:59

Dare I mention that I have known for years that her real name is Cassandra Peterson?  I always liked her schtick.  

I think someone tried suing her, claiming that Elvira was basically "borrowed" from another character.  I can't recall if it was Vampirella or Lillie Munster.

#31 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 21:51

Dare I mention that I have known for years that her real name is Cassandra Peterson?  I always liked her schtick.  

I think someone tried suing her, claiming that Elvira was basically "borrowed" from another character.  I can't recall if it was Vampirella or Lillie Munster.

It was Maila Nurmi, aka Vampira.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

Sponsored Content

|