The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2017 Ohio Pen Show!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 13:37

Just booked my rooms for Saturday Nov 4th - only a couple months away now!

I'm sure I'll see some of you down there - even if I don't know who you are.

Cheers!

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 14:05

I'll be there.  It should be an interesting week.  I'm also moving that week...again.

#3 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 14:48

I plan on going this year. But, it will depend on getting a ride, given my health issues I can no longer drive.  The Ohio Show is a great show. It is not so big that you feel lost in it, and it has a cozy, intimate vibe. Plus, all the major vendors will be there.

#4 specialk0449

specialk0449

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 16:23

I will be there on Thursday and will stay through Sunday. I have booked my room. It is a great show and I always look forward to it.

#5 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 17:56

I will be there.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2017 - 00:43

Need to figure out accommodations -- the site hotel is too expensive for me, but the place I've stayed the past 3 years has turned into a poorly maintained and managed dump.  So I need to start scoping out other places in the area (I day tripped OPS from Pittsburgh the first year I went, and that was a mistake -- I was completely exhausted by the time I got home, at 12:30 AM...).

Beyond that, looking forward to it.  I always have a great time at that show.  

Ironically, I was in an antiques mall in Fryburg, PA this afternoon (north of Clarion and east and a little south of Oil City) -- and had to laugh at the display they had of flyers for local attractions -- because someone had put flyers for OPS in one of the slots!  ;)  [Not that there were any pens worth buying in the store -- just a few ballpoints and an Esterbrook dip pen with a rusty nib; although on a previous excursion to the place I found a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock!]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,681 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:12

We'll be there! Back corner as in previous years!  :)

Always a great show!

Stop by, and say Hello!

Frank

Fed Pens

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#8 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Stub Nib Addict!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:21

Need to figure out accommodations -- the site hotel is too expensive for me, but the place I've stayed the past 3 years has turned into a poorly maintained and managed dump.  So I need to start scoping out other places in the area (I day tripped OPS from Pittsburgh the first year I went, and that was a mistake -- I was completely exhausted by the time I got home, at 12:30 AM...).
Beyond that, looking forward to it.  I always have a great time at that show.  
Ironically, I was in an antiques mall in Fryburg, PA this afternoon (north of Clarion and east and a little south of Oil City) -- and had to laugh at the display they had of flyers for local attractions -- because someone had put flyers for OPS in one of the slots!  ;)  [Not that there were any pens worth buying in the store -- just a few ballpoints and an Esterbrook dip pen with a rusty nib; although on a previous excursion to the place I found a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock!]

Check out the Airbnb app. My wife and I use it now exclusively over hotels.

#9 FrozenPen

FrozenPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 22:41

Looking at the show schedule - what goes on during the early Friday section (9 am - 1 pm)?

#10 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:24

Looking at the show schedule - what goes on during the early Friday section (9 am - 1 pm)?

Dealer setup for the most part....

Also a chance for dealers to walk around- see their distributors/etc...

Frank ;-)

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#11 FrozenPen

FrozenPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:11

Thanks - I'll drive down Friday morning then. Put the money saved on a Thursday night room towards a pen ;-)

#12 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:42

Dealer setup for the most part....

Also a chance for dealers to walk around- see their distributors/etc...

Frank ;-)

That's also when all the "double top secret" pen sales and trades go down.

We'll be there! Back corner as in previous years!  :)

Always a great show!

Stop by, and say Hello!

Frank

Fed Pens

I'll be sure to look you up! I may pull the trigger on the Orange Diplomat Aero you had at the DC Show.

#13 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:06

Check out the Airbnb app. My wife and I use it now exclusively over hotels.

I'm a bit nervous of that.  Staying in a regular B&B is one thing because they'll be registered and inspected and such.  We stayed in a lot of B&Bs on our honeymoon, up in Nova Scotia (cheaper than some hotels, and if the place had three or fewer rooms they weren't required to charge the 10% provincial tax (this was pre-GAT).  Plus, the people who ran them liked meeting people (or they wouldn't be in that business).  But in the States, [regular] B&Bs are often a LOT more expensive than a moderately priced hotel.

And of course back then, I didn't have a laptop, and the camera was with me while we were sightseeing.  At least at a regular hotel, you can put the "do not disturb" sign on the door....  Especially since odds are that I'll be by myself (I tried to talk my husband into going out to the Ohio show a couple of years ago, but he balked when he found out I was going to go out Thursday morning and hit the Heart of Ohio Antiques Mall, and this year I'm considering doing the 2 building place the next exit west from there, and then doubling back to go to the show -- I still have to check whether I will have another commitment for that weekend, which will mean I'd only basically be doing Friday and maybe part of Saturday).

Up until last year, the place I stayed was clean, comfortable, quiet, and had free continental breakfast.  Last year?  I had to switch rooms because the first one the heater didn't work (hello, November in central Ohio), and then discovered (too late) that the shower in the second room didn't work.... Plus, this place had outside stairs, and the concrete was in such bad shape that there were places it was just the metal treads, and I slipped and slid about halfway down the stairs -- I could easily have broken something, and it was pretty scary (and I have a bad back to start with).  Corporate was like "well, we can give you a voucher for a free room nationwide" and my response was "Why would I EVER want to stay at one of your locations ever again?"  :angry: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#14 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Stub Nib Addict!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 18:52

I'm a bit nervous of that.  Staying in a regular B&B is one thing because they'll be registered and inspected and such.  We stayed in a lot of B&Bs on our honeymoon, up in Nova Scotia (cheaper than some hotels, and if the place had three or fewer rooms they weren't required to charge the 10% provincial tax (this was pre-GAT).  Plus, the people who ran them liked meeting people (or they wouldn't be in that business).  But in the States, [regular] B&Bs are often a LOT more expensive than a moderately priced hotel.

And of course back then, I didn't have a laptop, and the camera was with me while we were sightseeing.  At least at a regular hotel, you can put the "do not disturb" sign on the door....  Especially since odds are that I'll be by myself (I tried to talk my husband into going out to the Ohio show a couple of years ago, but he balked when he found out I was going to go out Thursday morning and hit the Heart of Ohio Antiques Mall, and this year I'm considering doing the 2 building place the next exit west from there, and then doubling back to go to the show -- I still have to check whether I will have another commitment for that weekend, which will mean I'd only basically be doing Friday and maybe part of Saturday).

Up until last year, the place I stayed was clean, comfortable, quiet, and had free continental breakfast.  Last year?  I had to switch rooms because the first one the heater didn't work (hello, November in central Ohio), and then discovered (too late) that the shower in the second room didn't work.... Plus, this place had outside stairs, and the concrete was in such bad shape that there were places it was just the metal treads, and I slipped and slid about halfway down the stairs -- I could easily have broken something, and it was pretty scary (and I have a bad back to start with).  Corporate was like "well, we can give you a voucher for a free room nationwide" and my response was "Why would I EVER want to stay at one of your locations ever again?"  :angry: 

We've never had any issue with the place we've stayed via Airbnb.  It is quite a good system.  We've stayed at places all over the country and have always found the accommodations superior to a hotel and always less expensive.

You just have to do what you are comfortable with.

#15 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2017 - 17:33

I'll be there Saturday for sure, Sunday for maybe.  Alas, my wallet is on fumes so it'll be mostly to wander around and look at things... I'll bring my camera and snap what I can, at least.  :)

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2017 - 20:37

Most of my budget got blown earlier this year.  So most of the discretionary funds are going to pen repairs.  Although there are a few pens on my short list, if I can find them at decent prices.  And I'm definitely in the market for a bottle of Ackerman Dutch Masters Stormachig Blauw....  B) 

#17 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 13:08

Yeah, I had a couple big ticket items this year, and the Ohio show always comes close on the heels of a convention that I haven't missed in over 25 years -- oddly enough, it's at the same hotel that convention used to be at -- so I haven't really had the opportunity to set money aside for this year.  And now I can't find the one pen I wanted to bring to see if I could get it serviced.  :P

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

#18 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 16:41

Had a good show despite the lack of funds to really go crazy with -- many samples, some parts for repair, handed my Doric over to Ron Zorn for restoration (it's a repair that needs to go back to the shop, not one he could have done there), and I got to meet Ruth!  :)

#19 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 16:43

Oh, heck.  I forgot what avatar I was using here.  Ruth, no wonder you didn't think that looked like me, it isn't me.  It's the late, great Ghoulardi!  I thought I was using an image of me in the OVFF closing jam from '04.

#20 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 23:05

Hah!  Just looked up Ghoulardi and he sounds like Cleveland's answer to Chilly Billy here in Pittsburgh.  Don't remember an equivalent host in the NYC area but apparently there was one at some point, on Creature Feature on WNEW Channel 5 (which back in the 1970s and 1980s was an independent station).

Sponsored Content

|