Omas Milord

Angel91

Hello everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of an omas milord as it is the only big Italian brand I haven't tried yet. I've found several milord cartridge converter under 200$, and I'd like to ask to the forum if it's worth it. I mean, are they really so special one needs to try them?

I am a happy owner of aurora and Visconti pens.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• fabri00

• Angel91

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can find a milord piston filled and with the nib produced in house for about 200 euro in ebay Italy.

This is for me much better than the cartridge version with nib produced outside.

Hello everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of an omas milord as it is the only big Italian brand I haven't tried yet. I've found several milord cartridge converter under 200$, and I'd like to ask to the forum if it's worth it. I mean, are they really so special one needs to try them?

I am a happy owner of aurora and Visconti pens.

I would be happy to get one at that price. Where did you find them?

Are they so special? No. The nibs are nice and all, but nothing to change your life.

Are you looking for the older, smaller Milord or the post 2005 larger model?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Be very cautious on eBay. There are an awful lot of Cruise models described as Milord; or at least there were a few months ago when I looked.

I have a new style Milord, piston filler, and I very much enjoy its nib. Be careful about the plastic / resin on the section as it tends to shrink, and check the cap to make sure it didn't split. If these are good, you can have a very good, satisfying pen.

Does any one know how to tell the difference between a milord and a cruise? I've gathered the cruise had always a 14k nib and the milord was 18k.

Anything else?

Does any one know how to tell the difference between a milord and a cruise? I've gathered the cruise had always a 14k nib and the milord was 18k.

Anything else?

The Milord belong to the vintage production of Omas, before the Simoni family has sold the company. Is piston filled, it has the old omas in-house nib, the clip is the old tipical omas clip.

The cruise is much more recent, is not piston filled, it has a nib outsourced. Nice pen, but it is not representative of the vintage omas production, at least for me.

Be very cautious on eBay. There are an awful lot of Cruise models described as Milord; or at least there were a few months ago when I looked.

Not quite sure what this is saying. What is the difference between the "Cruise" and the "Milord"? I note that for years there has been something called the "Omas Arte Italiana Milford Cruise". In fact, said has been reviewed here, more than once I believe. For example:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240319-review-omas-milord-m-cruise-caramel-ce/

Not quite sure what this is saying. What is the difference between the "Cruise" and the "Milord"? I note that for years there has been something called the "Omas Arte Italiana Milford Cruise". In fact, said has been reviewed here, more than once I believe. For example:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240319-review-omas-milord-m-cruise-caramel-ce/

I have indicated some of the main differences in the post above your.

It is very easy to distinguish the old milord from the cruise.

Edited by fabri00

I have indicated some of the main differences in the post above your.

It is very easy to distinguish the old milord from the cruise.

Even I can distinguish between an old-style Milord and a new-style Milord. That, however, is not what my comment was about. I was responding to this:

"There are an awful lot of Cruise models described as Milord".

The obvious interpretation is that "Cruise" and "Milord" are different things.

What I wish to know is this: if they are different, then what is the difference? For example, what is the difference between a modern "Milord" and a modern "Cruise"? And how does one interpret "Omas Arte Italiana Cruise Milord"? (As in: http://www.montgomerypens.com/Omas%20Arte%20Italiana%20Cruise%20Milord%20Red%20Fountain%20Pen%20Fine%20Nib )

The Cruise model was generally speaking significantly cheaper than a Milord. What I've seen on ebay in the recent past are Cruise models labelled as Milord's and priced as such.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the older Milord piston fillers but I have never used a modern cartridge/converter filler. They used to be vegital resin, not plastic. Which is cool but they're fairly fragile and scratch easy. That's about the only semi-complaint though. Such great writers. I prefer them to the Paragons even though I like larger pens.

I love the older Milord piston fillers but I have never used a modern cartridge/converter filler. They used to be vegital resin, not plastic. Which is cool but they're fairly fragile and scratch easy. That's about the only semi-complaint though. Such great writers. I prefer them to the Paragons even though I like larger pens.

Vegetal resins are plastics.

• 2 years later...

I always thought a black Milord was the most beautiful design. The shape and the key design were perfect art deco for me.
I bought mine in the 1980s and it represents a very happy time in my life but the nib got bent and the the piston is very stiff. I've mentioned this elsewhere. No one wants to work on it but I was able to find a nice vintage Milord and guess what? I don't love it. It's supposed to be a medium nib but it writes very fine. It's OK. I now think back and my old Milord was fun to write with but the nib was always shifting around. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
I'll keep using it. Sometimes you get the hang of things down the road.

post-19415-0-43745100-1574281236_thumb.jpg

It's a lovely pen nonetheless, vintage has some drawbacks at times, simply because it's not new, and you cannot be 100% sure it's as perfect as when new.

The beauty of Omas, besides the design, which I also find lovely, but may not thrill everyone the same way, is usually also in the nibs.

The vintage nibs often have a wonderful spring, when not even flex, that you just cannot find on modern pens.

Again, not all of them. So you can either try before buying, or need to get lucky.

As vintage becomes more vintage and there are less and less of these around especially with the flexy nibs, since most collectors don't usually release their best nibs on the vintage market (unless they are selling off the full collection), but when selling often let go of the less flexy nibs, it becomes harder to find a "fantastic" Milord with a "fantastic" nib, unless you are prepared to pay some real money.

I think this applies to most vintage pens, in any case.

My Milor in black vegetable resin

fpn_1574286679__p1170295-3_omas_milord.j

interesting to see the nib

fpn_1574286827__p1170296-3_omas_milord_f

Edited by sansenri