The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wing Sung 698 "soft Fine" Flex Comparison

wingsung flex comparison

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaykayenn

jaykayenn

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:34

wingsung698-e1503569981613.jpg

Just got my Wing Sung 698 today. Since it is known to have a "soft" fine nib, here's how it compares to a Platinum 3776 14k Soft-Fine. 

While neither of these nibs are true flex nibs, there is definitely some line variation to be had. Without pressure, both write very fine, the 3776 more so than the 698. To write with line variation, the 698 takes more pressure to flex than the 3776, but BOTH seem to produce practically the same AMOUNT of variation. Ie. the end result is the same, but how you get there is quite different. 

Depending on your preference, the harder 698 steel nib may actually give you more control. As for the Platinum, the SF nib is indeed soft, taking very little pressure to flex. But the amount of travel the nib is able to safely flex is very short, resulting in line variation that doesn't come anywhere near a true flex nib. 

The Wing Sung 698 is now my EDC alternative to the Platinum 3776. 

---

Jkn

Sponsored Content

#2 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 14:04

I love my 698!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine writes as smoothly on the back of the nib as it does  in the usual away, with a XF (or XXF?) line. Fantastic.

#3 zubzub

zubzub

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:29

Maybe I am a scaredy cat, but I don't flex my steel pens nearly like you do!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wingsung, flex, comparison

Sponsored Content

|