Dressler Pen Company

Urbie2b

I would like to invite everyone to my website to check out my new pen venture! My name is Mark Dressler, and I have been an avid fountain pen collector and user for many years now. I recently made the move into fountain pen making and have just launched my website! I have a variety of my pens listed for sale, with more to come. As you will see I offer a few models and several different trim options. I am in the process of developing more models as we speak. I will also be accepting custom orders. I make all my pens by hand and take pride in presenting a quality product. Since I'm brand new to the pen scene there will be no queue or several month wait until I can get to your project! I will worry about the backlog when it presents itself :D

My website is......

www.dresslerpencompany.com

If you have any questions or ideas for a pen project you can PM me here on FPN or email me at......

dresslerpencompany@gmail.com.

I'm excited to share my creations with all of you!

Mark Dressler

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Urbie2b

• Lloyd

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mark,

Going by the pictures on your web site, it seems like you do very nice work. I wish you all the best in your new endeavour.

Please allow me to make a few comments and ask some questions:

1. Please specify the size of the nibs on your web site. #6/6mm or #5/5mm for-example.

2. To me the nibs look rather small compared to the size of most of your pens.

3. Specify what nib options are available. For-example: Bock, Jowo, steel, 14K/16K gold, titanium, single-tone, two-tone, nib sizes, custom nib grinds, semi-flex etc. Also specify if the nib is friction-fit in the section or if a screw-in nib unit is used.

4. Do you plan on offering ebonite feeds and/or semi-flex nibs? Pablo and Esther at fpnibs.com in Spain offer som pre-made semi-flex nibs and ebonite feeds. You obviously have the skills and tools, and ebonite rod-stock is readily available, so why not offer some custom-made ebonite feeds, especially if semi-flex nibs (Jowo) or semi-flex nib grinds are an option?

5. Specify whether the pen cap posts or not, and the length of the pen when posted.

6. Specify whether the pen has a cap liner or whether the cap posts directly to the barrel. From the one flat-top demonstrator pen shown on your web site, it looks like you are NOT using cap liners. Please tell us more about this.

Note: Below is my opinion on cap liners.

I wish I had a dollar for every badly designed fountain where the cap doesn't post squarely and/or securely because the barrel does not mate properly with the cap liner.

Cap liners help to keep the nib & feed from drying out. But more importantly, when the cap is posted a cap liner prevents the cap from abrading the barrel where they make contact (post ring syndrome). Also, a cap liner helps to prevent stress cracks from developing in the cap lip due to posting, especially if there is no reinforcing metal cap band.

In my opinion, cap liners are one of the hardest things to get right when it comes to fountain pen design. This is especially true for small manufacturers who are limited to selecting from ready-made 3rd-party injection molded plastic cap liner parts - IF you can find any! (Hint: A desktop 3D printer or better-yet an off-site 3D printing service may be the best solution these days.)

In my opinion unless you can design your own cap liners (Hint: 3D print), good pen design STARTS with the 3rd party supplied cap liner. Everything else builds outward around the liner. There's no point selecting a nib and feed if the nib snags the cap liner when capped, and there's no point choosing a barrel style if the barrel doesn't fit the liner like a glove.

Good Luck, David

Hi David!

First of all thank you so much for the well wishes and most of all your input. This is exactly the feedback and information I'm looking for since I'm new to the pen sales and web world! I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

Hello Mark,

Going by the pictures on your web site, it seems like you do very nice work. I wish you all the best in your new endeavour.

Please allow me to make a few comments and ask some questions:

1. Please specify the size of the nibs on your web site. #6/6mm or #5/5mm for-example.

I use Bock #6 nibs on all my pens listed on my for sale page at the moment and will be sure to go in and specify that. I will primarily use Bock #6 steel nibs on my pens unless a custom order comes in for a #5 or #8, which I came accommodate no problem.

2. To me the nibs look rather small compared to the size of most of your pens.

It may be my camera angles and my first run of pens are indeed on the med/large side. They are about 14mm at the threads and around 13.2mm at the widest part of the section I have JUST finished a design that will be a smaller/slimmer option at about 13mm at the threads and just over 12mm at the widest part of the section.

3. Specify what nib options are available. For-example: Bock, Jowo, steel, 14K/16K gold, titanium, single-tone, two-tone, nib sizes, custom nib grinds, semi-flex etc. Also specify if the nib is friction-fit in the section or if a screw-in nib unit is used.

I will have to go into my Nibs tab and maybe clarify what my options are. I have a small stock of Bock steel nibs, which are my preferred/standard nibs. I like there feel and when tuned I feel they are great writers! I can order Bock in steel (gold plate and reg steel/silver) titanium, gold, and palladium along with Jowo in steel (gold, two tone, and reg steel/silver) gold (18K & 14K). I have the tooling to use Bock #5,#6, and #8 nibs and Jowo #6, and #8 nibs. All my nibs are screw-in nib units so they can easily be interchanged for other nibs! I do grind nibs but I'm not a nib meister so I'm weary to offer that service as of yet. I will be happy to grind any one of my nibs though if asked!

4. Do you plan on offering ebonite feeds and/or semi-flex nibs? Pablo and Esther at fpnibs.com in Spain offer som pre-made semi-flex nibs and ebonite feeds. You obviously have the skills and tools, and ebonite rod-stock is readily available, so why not offer some custom-made ebonite feeds, especially if semi-flex nibs (Jowo) or semi-flex nib grinds are an option?

One of my biggest long term goals is to offer ebonite feeds for my nibs. I have been able to make a few but getting the flow right has been a hang up for me, at the moment. Air/Ink interchange is a touchy thing to say the least :D . I would also love to be able to offer something different when it comes to nibs, like flex! The nibs that Pablo and Esther have modified for semi-flex have always caught my eye and I will be purchasing one as soon as I can to see if I feel comfortable offering it. I worry about people springing a nib not knowing the soft touch that most of the modern semi-flex nibs take.

5. Specify whether the pen cap posts or not, and the length of the pen when posted.

All the pens I have for sale and my currently offered models do post but I have a model or two in the works that might not. I will be sure to specify on my website. I honestly can't believe I forgot to specify since so many people do want to know posting details!

6. Specify whether the pen has a cap liner or whether the cap posts directly to the barrel. From the one flat-top demonstrator pen shown on your web site, it looks like you are NOT using cap liners. Please tell us more about this.

I actually integrate my cap liner into my cap design. I machine a lip inside my cap to mate up with the end of the section so I can create a good seal so the nib won't dry out. This gives me the ability to design the cap/pen around the nib I want to use so I don't have to worry about the nib clearances. It also gives a really nice secure stop once the section hits the inner cap lip. I have also had many pens with separate cap liners give my problems. I feel your pain! I have also designed my pens so they don't post on the cap lip to reduce the stress on the cap.

Thanks again for your input and questions! I hope I was able to clarify most of them for you. I will be sure to reassess my website and make the necessary changes as well!

Mark

Edited by Urbie2b

Nice looking pens! Can you list more of the dimensions of your pens (section diameter, weight, etc.)? Take a look at nibs.com for some important measurements.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thank you for your input! I will have to take a look at the measurements and specs that he has on nibs.com and change mine accordingly.

Thanks!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde