The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart Duro Sterling Silver - Button Fill Sac Replace

comway stweart duro sterling silver button fill

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jackokun

Jackokun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 22:09

Hello!,

I have a Conway Stewart duro Sterling Silver - Button fill that needs the sac replaced, anyone knows how to loosen the section so I can get to where the sac is and replace it?

also what sac size should I use?

Many thanks

Jack

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of smile.png

Sponsored Content

#2 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:10

Hi - you might possibly get a quicker/better response if you re-post under 'Gt. Britain & Ireland' country section  -  there's some very talented CS folk who reside there.

Assume this is an oldish pen - always the possibility some previous owner has shellaced the two parts together.    Have you tried the usual application of hair dryer treatment  -  and is the pen made such that you can use section pliers without damaging the overlay?           would be good to see a picture of your pen too.

#3 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:43

Use dry heat. The old sac may have hardened inside. Scrap it with care with something like dental pick. Avoid soaking especially for longer period. Not sure about the sac size. I normally use a smaller size.
Khan M. Ilyas

#4 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,202 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 13:16

Agreed -- and a metal barrel connected to a BHR section is often threaded, so try to work it out counterclockwise, gently, under the dry heat.  If there is shellac in the threads you have less surface mass of shellac so it should give way pretty easily.  Be patient.  Is it silver over something like BHR?  Or is the entire barrel silver?  Is the model number imprinted on the barrel?  

Tim

#5 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 13:25

unless we know the model No., then you're going to have to wait until the sac nipple can be measured in order to assess replacement sac size, and this requires the pen is taken apart first.

#6 Jackokun

Jackokun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 21:17

Thank you All for the responses .

I did the heat/section pliers dance and eventually I was able to take the section apart , I was thinking that it could be threaded but turn out to be friction fit and shellac.

the bar seems in pretty good condition.

My understanding is this is an all silver pen. I might be mistaken : Barrel imprint says  " Duro STerling Silver 026/200 Made in England".

The inner cap needs to be glued back, I'm guessing using a little of shellac here as well??

as far of the SAC the nipple measures roughly  7mm from outer end to outer end ~ so Size 17? 17 1/2?

here are some pictures of the pen 

kdFTxuC.jpg?2

4phrmln.jpg?1

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

#7 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,202 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 22:19

Ha -- it never occurred to me that this was a new CS Duro!  You may want to have the people handling the new CS pens repair that; they will probably do it for free.  I believe that Bespoke British Pens handles all of the recent CS work.

best,

Tim

#8 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:01

must admit I'd also assumed it was old  -  no matter  -  very attractive pen.       Always possible you may have to drop a sac size in order not to foul the button bar when re-assembling  -  that's not gospel but if you can't re-assemble from the rear - with sac in situ - then that might have to be the case.

best of luck

#9 Jackokun

Jackokun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:03

Thank you Paul and Tmenyc!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comway stweart, duro, sterling silver, button fill

Sponsored Content

|