An Interesting John Whytwarth Resurrected

chunya

I recently picked up this John Whytwarth silver overlay safety, not only because it seemed to be an interesting pen but also because it seemed to have an interesting provenance (which I'm currently trying to research). The hallmarks, if I recall correctly, date it to 1923, but the engraved dedication is for 1934.

It was in a bit of a state, the nib was badly bent and it looked as if someone had previously tried a DIY on it. There was a great chunk of BHR missing from the cap lip, and it was leaking like billy-o from the rear of the barrel. I put it into the very capable hands of Eric Wilson and he did work a little miracle on it, in fact the AFTER photos don't really do it justice. Not only did he construct a new section for the cap lip, but also did a wonderful job on sorting out the nib and replacing the seals. Thank you Eric :thumbup:

BEFORE

fpn_1503490717__dsc06173_1.jpg

fpn_1503490784__dsc06174_1.jpg

AFTER

fpn_1503490828__dsc06278_1.jpg

fpn_1503490873__dsc06285.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• chunya

• peterg

• BT_Summers

That is wonderful work indeed.

You have a truly interesting pen in lovely order now.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

a stunning pen and sterling renovation by Eric Wilson - great find. Can't see the hall marks too clearly, but appears there is an anchor for B'ham - but I could be wrong, and can't read the date letter, probably worn ............. most of the addresses I was seeing for this maker were in London.

The Sterling date letter for 1923/24 ........... for B'ham is lower case 'y' with serifs, and for London it's a rather gothic looking lower case 'h'.

Seems Whytwarth had a lot of problems in the early 1920s - this model might have been one of the later pens they did.

Inscriptions can be added at any given later date, probably.

Edited by PaulS

The hallmarks weren't too clear in that photo, and although rubbed aren't too bad at all considering the amount of handling the pen will have experienced over the years (97 years old!) . It's a Leopard for London and a small i for 1924.

fpn_1503500996__dsc06286_1.jpg

Edited by chunya

don't some people make our lives difficult :) I've looked at date codes many times, and not noticed that most years are in fact represented by two consecutive letters of the alphabet. You're correct insofar as 1924 can be lower case 'i' - it can also be lower case 'h'.

Date letters for 1923/24 are shown as 'h' ................ for 1924/25 are shown as lower case 'i'.

London sounds more likely - can now see the leopard's head in your picture - although it seems that in their very early days there was some connection with manufacture in B'ham.

Beautiful restoration by Eric, congratulations. Stephen Hull wrote a fascinating article on Whytwarth in the WES journal, Number 90, Spring 2011. It seems that John Whytwarth was invented as a name to promote an "all-British" pen after the First World War, a great example of marketing hype!

36664452682_1bd0e88fe2_b.jpg

Barriep

16440848341_bf073036dc_t.jpg

thanks - sounds very interesting ..... copies of back issues of WES Journals are available, usually, at the London Pen Show in Bloomsbury (this year on Sun. 1st October, I think) -- although whether they will be offering from as far back as 2011 I don't know - could be too far back possibly.

That IS an interesting looking pen, and I'm so glad you had it restored.

Fine work by Mr. Wilson and a wonderful piece saved.

Beautiful restoration by Eric, congratulations. Stephen Hull wrote a fascinating article on Whytwarth in the WES journal, Number 90, Spring 2011. It seems that John Whytwarth was invented as a name to promote an "all-British" pen after the First World War, a great example of marketing hype!

36664452682_1bd0e88fe2_b.jpg

Very many thanks for this .... I had read somewhere that John Whytwarth had never really existed, but I'm impressed by the detailed information that Steve has managed to unearth about this fairly obscure company.

This pen came accompanied by a letter from the then Viscount Vesci to Penfriend (Burlington Arcade) which was sent around 1973. I'm still trying to find out whether the letter and pen belong together and who the initials on the inscription may have belonged to.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a web site and only have an advert in the Writing Equipment Society Magazine, I am told this advert is also going to be in the new Pen Repair 4th Edition, J K Marshall & L C Oldfield book. It is very gratifying therefore when customers publicly express their pleasure at the work I have carried out, thank you. Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

thanks for the news regarding a 4th edition of the Marshall & Oldfield repair manual - do we know anything yet regarding its revised format - larger perhaps? :)

thanks for the news regarding a 4th edition of the Marshall & Oldfield repair manual - do we know anything yet regarding its revised format - larger perhaps? :)

Have you seen this Mr S

http://pentooling.com/books.html

This is from a US site and shows some of the books contents.

Readily available from UK sellers including Pen Practice of course.

http://www.penpractice.com/

Great job with the restoration and what a beautiful nib.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY