The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Desk Pens Remakes?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 lestylo

lestylo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 21:48

Mr. Boy: Your comments on this subject always make me laugh. Reminds me of the time when my niece was about 14 months old and someone gave her a new toy as a gift. She immediately tossed the toy aside and played happily with the pretty box it came in. 

What I do not understand is why Fahrney’s still carries these ersatz Esterbrook pens when anyone can get them on ebay at 65 to 70% off . Almost as low on Amazon. And at a much lower price and looking very similar to the $60 to $80 MSRP ones, but without the Esterbrook imprint at below $8 on ebay (from China) including shipping.

And hey Penwash, you know these pen bases will not say ESTERBROOK Made In USA. Esterbrook maybe, but definitely not made n USA.

I wonder what brand he will reinvent next. Producing a cheap golf cart and putting the name Rolls Royce Phantom on it does not make it worth $400,000.

Sponsored Content

#22 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:50

Mr. Boy: Your comments on this subject always make me laugh. Reminds me of the time when my niece was about 14 months old and someone gave her a new toy as a gift. She immediately tossed the toy aside and played happily with the pretty box it came in. 

What I do not understand is why Fahrney’s still carries these ersatz Esterbrook pens when anyone can get them on ebay at 65 to 70% off . Almost as low on Amazon. And at a much lower price and looking very similar to the $60 to $80 MSRP ones, but without the Esterbrook imprint at below $8 on ebay (from China) including shipping.

And hey Penwash, you know these pen bases will not say ESTERBROOK Made In USA. Esterbrook maybe, but definitely not made n USA.

I wonder what brand he will reinvent next. Producing a cheap golf cart and putting the name Rolls Royce Phantom on it does not make it worth $400,000.

Here's the problem i see with the Esterbrook brand and revival, Esterbrook (original) are really just known for one single style of pen, the J style celluloid pen, thats it.  Anything more modern than that before they sold to venus>osmiroid is basically trash (in my opinion), and anything "vintage" pre-dollar pen, is just not popular.  Like i dont think anyone is sitting at home thinking "Damn i wish someone would remake the 2-S pen or whatever.   

Esterbrook is known for 2 things, vintage nibs, and J Series Pens.  J Series pens are workhorses, nibs were easily changed, and they stood the test of time.  So rarely do i get vintage esterbrooks that have any problems that cant be fixed.  They have held up.    Trying to turn the modern esterbrook into a "Luxury Pen Brand" by selling what are essentially kit pens, obviously hasnt worked.  

I would look into 1 pen revival to start and no box would be needed for this..  I would find someone that can take the visumaster style pattern and make it in modern acrylic, and make a remake pen with a visulated ink window and New modern nib options, along with ability to use vintage nibs also, same style... and sell that.. if it looks stunning i would be a customer for every color if priced right.

I have held one of the new modern J pens for $15 bucks on ebay now.. like it wrote just fine but it was completely unspectacular in every way.. colors were not vibrant as pictured and looked flat (like they were painted on), no depth of color.  

#23 penwash

penwash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:20

I does say ESTERBROOK Made in USA.

Have a look here (sorry for the low photo quality):

36883801175_95e637351d.jpg

I think it says Made In USA. What do you think? :)

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

#24 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 13:49

Oh, the original ones were definitely made in USA.  The _NEW_ Estercrap ones definitely aren't.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#25 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 13:56

What are these "desk pens" of which you speak? 

Care to see just my overflow on the window sill of my office?

fpn_1504014904__img_1673.jpg

My other hobby requires a camera

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#26 penwash

penwash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 14:19

Oh, the original ones were definitely made in USA.  The _NEW_ Estercrap ones definitely aren't.

greg

I know that, I was just confused when 'lestylo' stated 'no Made in USA' to my comment. I was referring to my Esterbrook desk pen which was Made in USA. I didn't mention anything else in this thread.

Speaking of the new ones, I have no love for those uninspired incarnation that only bear the name but not the substance.

Edited by penwash, 29 August 2017 - 14:21.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

#27 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 14:22

What are these "desk pens" of which you speak? 

Care to see just my overflow on the window sill of my office?

Hmmm... Someone discriminates against the poor 8-balls.

#28 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 14:49

When the modern Esterbrooks first came out they had amazing boxes.  Not sure the box quality has remained high.  I am anxious to see the boxes for the desk sets, I have high hopes.

Dang 'ole boxes.

The REAL Esterbrook boxes are better.

DSC08691.jpg

DSC08687.jpg

DSC08686.jpg

(^%$# those new boxes. :bunny01: )

Edited by AL01, 29 August 2017 - 14:50.

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#29 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 14:57

Hmmm... Someone discriminates against the poor 8-balls.

No, they're on my main shelf. Here is one of the old style with the all-metal ring, and a couple of 117's. 

fpn_1504018255__eight_balls.jpg

And then there's the 427 (it's under the c. 1890's salesman's sample book, the box of Ford Motor Company pens made by Esterbrook, the 19-teens Falcon Pen box, the 314 Relief Pens box from England, and a normal pen box. But it's under there. And then to the right is the WWII-era "Air Force US Army" #407 and a sealed box of 966 Radio Pens. Yeah, maybe I have a couple of Esterbrook things. (and to the right of the 407 is a Morriset  inkwell also from WWII from the San Diego Navel Air Station)

And the disks in front are also Esterbrooks. 

fpn_1504018246__407_427_disks.jpg

Edited by AAAndrew, 29 August 2017 - 14:59.

My other hobby requires a camera

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|