• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• penwash

• mikedealer

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard that vintage desk sets and desk pens are a hard sell, but I'd buy one in a hot minute. Still haven't found my "perfect" pen or set (I like a very flexible nib), but I like the aesthetics of this type of pen. Maybe there is a more of a market for new desk pen sets over vintage ones? (I have no idea, being new to the fountain pen world...I've always used dip pens until recently.)

Edited by chaik76

I have one of the 8-ball sets but still have not found a dipless 407 or 427 desk set.

Contact AC12 here or at a Pen Show near San Francisco and buy one from him. I know he has more Esterbrook desk sets than he needs.

The 8-Ball desk set is so common I can't believe someone would bastardize remake them but to each his own. I wonder what kind of box it will have...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Initially, I was quite excited by the press release, but then I realized that these are not 2017 prices. A cursory look at the Esterbrook website shows rather expensive prices ($75) and these sets will probably be priced even higher. Also worrying is that they have, to me, worse designs than the timeless originals. I wonder how "faithful" these reissues would be.

I have been searching for a dip less set for some time now (although not actively). The prices I saw the last time I had a look around were much higher than $20 (and there's international shipping to contend with too). Too bad, I would have gotten yours in a heartbeat!

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Initially, I was quite excited by the press release, but then I realized that these are not 2017 prices. A cursory look at the Esterbrook website shows rather expensive prices ($75) and these sets will probably be priced even higher. Also worrying is that they have, to me, worse designs than the timeless originals. I wonder how "faithful" these reissues would be.

I have been searching for a dip less set for some time now (although not actively). The prices I saw the last time I had a look around were much higher than $20 (and there's international shipping to contend with too). Too bad, I would have gotten yours in a heartbeat!

When the modern Esterbrooks first came out they had amazing boxes. Not sure the box quality has remained high. I am anxious to see the boxes for the desk sets, I have high hopes.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Despite the high praise Lisa & Brian Anderson bestowed on the initial box for the "new" Esterbrookk pens, I feel anything less than the box offered for the Limited Edition Abraham Lincoln pen by the same maker may, "pale" in comparison. But is always good to remain hopeful; there may be something planned to surpass, even that one.

Despite the high praise Lisa & Brian Anderson bestowed on the initial box for the "new" Esterbrookk pens, I feel anything less than the box offered for the Limited Edition Abraham Lincoln pen by the same maker may, "pale" in comparison. But is always good to remain hopeful; there may be something planned to surpass, even that one.

I was not a fan of the Limited Edition box Abe or no Abe. While L&B eventually got to the pen, I found myself returning to the box over and over. I'm not even sure I made it to the pen, no reason to spoil the near perfect execution of the box.

Talk about shameless Estie 8-Ball remakes, look no further than the modern Retro 51 desk-sets (rollerball or ballpoint only). They go for around $48 (Amazon) to $60 USD ea.:

* Retro 1951 Desk-Set Home Page:

http://www.retro51.com/fwi_desksets.html

http://www.retro51.com/newimages/desksets_large.jpg

Talk about shameless Estie 8-Ball remakes, look no further than the modern Retro 51 desk-sets (rollerball or ballpoint only). They go for around $48 (Amazon) to $60 USD ea.:

* Retro 1951 Desk-Set Home Page:

http://www.retro51.com/fwi_desksets.html

http://www.retro51.com/newimages/desksets_large.jpg

HAHA hilarious. Whats the point of the base there exactly, i guess just to keep your pending standing up straight and nothing to do with refilling anything obviously. So its a pen stand . amazing engineering haha

I quite like mine (to clarify, this is the vintage model, not a remake):

34304484253_50477c85c8_c.jpg

Not often do I see Esterbrook base like this.

Edited by penwash

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Do people still have desks ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

HAHA hilarious. Whats the point of the base there exactly, i guess just to keep your pending standing up straight and nothing to do with refilling anything obviously. So its a pen stand . amazing engineering haha

What was the point, then, in all the Sheaffer desk bases, all the Parker desk bases, and so on? It was just to hold your desk pen at the ready and to try to keep the point moist between uses. Not every manufacturer thought to have an ink reservoir in a desk base, but then ink was a lot less expensive when Esterbrook made its reservoir desk bases than it is today. At the price of ink today, are you willing to fill a reservoir desk base?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Another collection of pens to add to the "60% off of MSRP" line of a pen company that was formerly known as Esterbrook, or Conklin or Mabie Todd......

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

If these new desk sets are as wonderful recreations as the other pens NewEsterbruck has produced so far, we will all no doubt be delighted.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

If these new desk sets are as wonderful recreations as the other pens NewEsterbruck has produced so far, we will all no doubt be delighted.

greg

It is about the boxes. With the right box the pen isn't so important.

I quite like mine (to clarify, this is the vintage model, not a remake):

34304484253_50477c85c8_c.jpg

Not often do I see Esterbrook base like this.

@penwash,

Gee, I don't know much about Esterbrook desk sets. What I've seen amounts to D-Series "8-Balls", or the very occasional "Dip-Less" contrivance.

I've never seen an Estie base like that - it's beautifully simple. Is it marked somewhere with the Esterbrook name?

Thanks, David

@penwash,

Gee, I don't know much about Esterbrook desk sets. What I've seen amounts to D-Series "8-Balls", or the very occasional "Dip-Less" contrivance.

I've never seen an Estie base like that - it's beautifully simple. Is it marked somewhere with the Esterbrook name?

Thanks, David

That is indeed an esterbrook base for sure, i have/had a few, they are rare but when they come up for sale they might break 20-30 dollars. it is definitely one of the nicer ones

@penwash,

Thanks, David

David,

Yes, it's engraved with ESTERBROOK Made In USA around the chrome colored pen "cup". I've never seen one like this before either, it's simple but elegant. The other reason I bought this is because it had the rare 3XXX series nib on it.

Edited by penwash

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens