The Famous Parker 51?

CharlieAndrews

Hello y'all!

So I've seen mention of the famous Parker 51 EVERYWHERE. Whenever anyone is asked their favourite Parker Pen, it's more often than not their beloved Parker 51. What's so great about the Parker 51? What makes it different? Are there many makes/models of the Parker 51? Where does one go to acquire one, as I'm pretty sure they are vintage? Any information would be very much appreciated. :)

-Charles :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• BillH

• Conradandhispens

• CharlieAndrews

Simple answer: it's a superb writing instrument. Every design decision was made towards that end, from the hooded nib to the Aerometric fill system, to the materials used to make them (the barrels are made of Lucite).

In their heyday, they were the top of the line pen model for Parker and were NOT cheap. But Parker still managed to sell an estimated 20 million of them (after 12 million, they apparently stopped counting). The Aerometric models, in particular, often just need to be flushed out well -- the Pli-glass sacs are often still good, even after 60+ years. And they'll just write and write and write.

The only downsides? The nibs are nails (but still often extremely smooth). And it's really hard to limit yourself to just one of them... B) (for me the current count is eight Aeros, three 51 Vacs (the earlier model), and a 51 Special. Plus a Parker 21 and a Parker 41 (intermediate grade marketed as "ladies' pens", but with the lower grade plastic of the the student grade 21s -- they were only on the market a couple of years because they weren't popular).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Parker 51 is the best fountain pen ever made. It was Parker's top-line pen from 1941 - 1961, when the fountain pen was the most important personal writing instrument. That time is also called "the golden age of fountain pens". Production continued into the 1970's.

You can buy one on FPN, a good choice, or on EBay, a more risky choice. Note: a Parker 51 Vacumatic (a "P51 Vac"), the early model, will probably need a new diaphragm...unless someone has recently replaced it. That's a rubber part, something like an ink sac, and they wear out.

Most US 51's were made with fine points (or finer than fine); Parker's English factory made more medium nibs than the US. English / US / Canadian 51's might need a nib tuning, since they will be 60 or 70 years old. (Master Yoda explains: "When 70 years old you are look as good you will not").

Neither a diaphragm replacement nor a nib tuning are expensive. A P51 is not expensive, either, unless someone is selling a rare pen, one that pen collectors search for.

More information: https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Try one (Aerometric recommended). You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Fear not, conversion is painless (except to your wallet, 51s seem to multiply like rabbits). :)

Nihonto Chicken

Well to be fair, there are equally good pen out there before, during and after the era Parker had their Parker 51, but that was not the point. The Parker 51 was referred to as the greatest pen ( I humbly disagree myself ) but certainly its one of them and certainly one of the best Parker had offer. What matters is that Parker had incorporate numerous advance and technical know how into this one model at the time these technology are either fairly new, and some unproven, and some yet innovate. And all of that made a very reliable and consistent performing tool. Now that's the point, its a pen that's tailored to be an everyday tool and good at it , in fact excel at it .. and that is why its great

Leaving aesthetics and the very effective advertising by Parker aside, the 51 is one of the most appealing vintage pens because you can still find a lot of them in good condition and at reasonable prices. I rate it quite highly as a daily writer but primarily because the size and shape seems to fit my hand almost perfectly. Still, my favourite Parker is the 61 (primarily for the nib) but that doesn't have the 51's quality of construction and it's smaller. So, the pens I carry around for most of my note taking at work and other places are four 51s.

in terms of overall reliability, performance, longevity and looks, it would be futile to knock the 51 - although I'd agree about the nails aspect. If you're not heavily into pens, the aerometric is probably the better buy in view of its simpler functioning. For its time it was innovation par excellence.

In the golden years of fountain pens, the Parker 51 was king. It was designed with innovations, that were intended to provide good service to the writer. Anyone, who could afford a Parker 51, used one. My father was chief financial officer of his company. Dad had a Parker 51. Dylan Thomas had a Parker 51. Mr. DeGaul had a Parker 51. Presidents Eisenhower and Johnson used P51. Queen Elizabeth II, also.

Official Parker record indicate production in excess of twenty million, for as long as such were kept. Other estimates claim three times that number. Parker invented the pen designation "flighter" , as its 1949 Parker 51 was the first "airline-safe" pen.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Parker 51's are fantastic, elegant workhorses. I have been enjoying restoring them, and sold a few so far. I just finished a sketch with one a few minutes ago, and I intend to write a journal entry with it later tonight.

in terms of overall reliability, performance, longevity and looks, it would be futile to knock the 51 - although I'd agree about the nails aspect. If you're not heavily into pens, the aerometric is probably the better buy in view of its simpler functioning. For its time it was innovation par excellence.

I have been buying broken and/or deformed P61 sections with good nibs and taking out the nibs from these to use in my P51s after the necessary alteration/midificatiin.. Once or twice I have also been able to find these rotten 61 sections with intact arrows and used these on those of my 61s that came in good shape but without the inlaid arrows.

A P51 with a P61 nib (especially the fat juicy English made ones) is a real joy to write with.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have been buying broken and/or deformed P61 sections with good nibs and taking out the nibs from these to use in my P51s after the necessary alteration/midificatiin.. Once or twice I have also been able to find these rotten 61 sections with intact arrows and used these on those of my 61s that came in good shape but without the inlaid arrows.

A P51 with a P61 nib (especially the fat juicy English made ones) is a real joy to write with.

mitto, I do not have a 61 so am not familiar with them... just out of curiosity, what is different about the 61 nib and modifications are necessary to the 61 nib for it to be used in a 51?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

mitto, I do not have a 61 so am not familiar with them... just out of curiosity, what is different about the 61 nib and modifications are necessary to the 61 nib for it to be used in a 51?

Bill, the P61 nib has three tags - one above and two below - that need to be filed away in order for it to be used in a P51. The tag above keeps the nib secured in the collector while the tags below are for the nib to wrap around the feed. You can see pictures (by richardandtracy) here.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/62073-parker-61-nibs/

PS

I have now noticed that in my earlier post that you quoted, I was responding to alxander_k's post at #7 (wherein he made a mention of the P61 and its nib) but I inadvertently quoated the post by PaulS. Apologies.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Very interesting, and great pictures from an old thread. Thanks so much. I'll file this in the "possible winter projects" file ;)

You are welcome, BillH.

And don't forget to source a P61 nib for your P51 and tell us about your experience with that. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

You really have to own one and use it to appreciate it.

The writing is very smooth and it always writes, even if left uncapped on your desk for a while. Hard to do with a lot of other pens, especially modern ones.

You can keep it on your desk, filled or partially filled with ink for a long time (weeks and months) and uncap it and write with it without priming.

The Aerometric sacs are bulletproof and still work well after 50 years.

The only gripes I have with these pens are they are a bit dowdy by today's standards. I prefer using the Parker 75 because they are better looking and work almost as well.

With a little patience you should be able to find a Black or Gray Special on eBay for $45-55 but at that price you'll have to follow the directions in this sub-forum's sticky post about 'your first 51 in the wild (now what?)' and give it a thorough cleaning.

Or you could pay more for one advertised as "restored".

Also check out places like Peyton Street Pens and Parker51.com. While you're at Parker51.com you can learn a lot about what's what.

You might also watch the listings here at FPN.

Keep in mind Parker made around 487 gazzilion of them so there is always plenty for sale and you don't need to chase or worry if you miss something. Good luck in your hunt!

Why is 51 GREAT??

Engineering innovations

1. Cap clips - slips on and off easy, neither scratches the section nor does it let the pen fall down

2 Hooded nib - the first successful and probably the best hooded nib design ever. Ink does not dry up easily even if left uncapped on desk with fan running

3. Filling system was modified - the plastic aerometric filler in my fathers pen bought in 1957 is still working fine

4 Ink capacity is augmented by the hifdden feeds and even when the window shows no ink the pen would keep on writing for along time

5. Durable plastic (Lucite it was called) which doesnt scratch easy

6. Despite the famous innovations the design is so simple in its construction that even a novice can open and replace most parts without much effeort or special tools

7. Millions upon millions were made so spare parts are not that hard to find

8. First airplane safe pen

9. Equally at home on a banker's desk or in the on the job factory foreman's hands

Defini9tely the best hooded nib pen ever

arguably the best pen ever

but even the ones who do not agree with the second staement would put it in the alltime top 5 pens

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid