Mb Nib Exchange - What Is Going On?

kelvinkeh

So.... after using the pen for awhile, the platinum nib on yellow gold 149 is actually growing on me, I'm now caught in two minds as to whether I should return this pen to get the nib swapped to the regular yellow gold trim or keep it as is. It writes fantastically well, and the novelty in having the mismatched nib trim is actually interesting, makes for an understated look.

What do you guys think? Should I just hang onto it or send it back?

I think keep it. Go for performance over looks. It would suck to send it back and its the right finish but does not write as well.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Chrissy

• Ghost Plane

• Dcharles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK a bit of an update on my end. Im keeping the mismatched nib. It writes well and I like the more understated look.

The rose gold, however, is back in Hamburg (for the 3rd time). This time, MB customer service is actually and hopefully 1) it wont take months (ive been assured), 2) I will get a nib that writes well and 3) without any plating issues.

We are slowly getting there.

OK a bit of an update on my end. Im keeping the mismatched nib. It writes well and I like the more understated look.

The rose gold, however, is back in Hamburg (for the 3rd time). This time, MB customer service is actually and hopefully 1) it wont take months (ive been assured), 2) I will get a nib that writes well and 3) without any plating issues.

We are slowly getting there.

~ -kk-:

I greatly admire your patient attitude.

May you finally have all of the pens you want.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

So... I have an update on this that is equal part comical and infuriating. After sending the pen back to MB via the AD they spent a few weeks presumably waiting for its turn on the shop floor. About 10 days ago I was told it was sent back to the AD. Overnight, I was told by the AD that MB sent them the wrong pen........

I. AM. SPEECHLESS.

So... I have an update on this that is equal part comical and infuriating. After sending the pen back to MB via the AD they spent a few weeks presumably waiting for its turn on the shop floor. About 10 days ago I was told it was sent back to the AD. Overnight, I was told by the AD that MB sent them the wrong pen........

I. AM. SPEECHLESS.

:yikes: So am I. :angry:

That is infuriating.

Although my three or so experiences of nib exchanges in the UK have been fine in as many years (including 2 in the past 12 months), this does make me reluctant to send a pen away for service/nib swap (I currently want to get a Brahms donation pen, purchased only 4 months ago, look at which skips slightly).

PS - presumably someone at the AD or MB service centre can confirm where you pen is, i.e. that it is not lost?

Edited by horationelson

~ Montblanc offers world-class premium writing instruments.

As to the consistency of their service quality...

Tom K.

I'm still waiting on my 149 OBBB that went back after receiving it with scratches and a gouge, as well as my 1912 OBB that hard starts and skips. I penned a letter to the MB CEO several weeks ago regarding their service center and never received a response, not even a form letter acknowledging receipt.

I'm still waiting on my 149 OBBB that went back after receiving it with scratches and a gouge, as well as my 1912 OBB that hard starts and skips. I penned a letter to the MB CEO several weeks ago regarding their service center and never received a response, not even a form letter acknowledging receipt.

~ DCharles:

That's an intolerable situation. You shouldn't have to endure this grossly substandard service.

I admire your patience in putting with such non-premium treatment of your premium fountain pens.

No response from anyone after doing Montblanc USA the favor of letting them know of their Dallas Service Center issues?

A wait for the 149 OBBB which goes on and on and on. No excuse covers such lapses.

Sad, sad, sad...

Tom K.

Not better situation in Europa. I have my issue of box for my JFK 1917 fountain pen since May. I return the fountain pen in add in Augustus and still haven't received anything... and I have some writing issue with some fountain pens (Leonardo, Miles Davis and little bit with the Steinway): I'm starting writing with them very well and after several sentences I have lot of issues to write as if the ink doesn't flow quickly enough. I will check this issue with my local reseller but if I have to send them to MB and have to wait 6 months each time before have them back it is really a pain...

Sorry to hear about more issues. Unfortunately those who arenjoy responsible are nameless and unreachable within the MB organization. The customer service and ADs are left as the touch points and they are also unable to effect positive solutions. Keep the patience and know where to spend your money in the future.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Not better situation in Europa. I have my issue of box for my JFK 1917 fountain pen since May. I return the fountain pen in add in Augustus and still haven't received anything... and I have some writing issue with some fountain pens (Leonardo, Miles Davis and little bit with the Steinway): I'm starting writing with them very well and after several sentences I have lot of issues to write as if the ink doesn't flow quickly enough. I will check this issue with my local reseller but if I have to send them to MB and have to wait 6 months each time before have them back it is really a pain...

Wow, thats very surprising to read about!

Wow, thats very surprising to read about!

Yes sometime I'm asking me if it is not me the problem :) But with my 149, my Hemingway EF, my Saint-Exupéry and my UNICEF skeleton I don't have any issue. I have ordered Iroshizuku inks to test if it is better with them at the place of some Montblanc inks. Will see when I will have them but have to wait 1-2 weeks to receive them.

Edited by Cyrille

Hmm. Wonder what it will take to wake up management? It concerns me, as sloppy service so often serves as a prelude to financial problems. As witness the rash of defunct pen companies in recent years.

Hmm. Wonder what it will take to wake up management? It concerns me, as sloppy service so often serves as a prelude to financial problems. As witness the rash of defunct pen companies in recent years.

~ A long-time sales staff member in a Beijing boutique resigned this year, accepting a post at another luxury brand retailer.

When asked why, as he is a Montblanc writing instrument expert, he replied: “Top management now sees us as a premium timepiece maker, also providing leather goods and pens.”

Tom K.

~ A long-time sales staff member in a Beijing boutique resigned this year, accepting a post at another luxury brand retailer.

When asked why, as he is a Montblanc writing instrument expert, he replied: “Top management now sees us as a premium timepiece maker, also providing leather goods and pens.”

Tom K.

Not a good move for MB. The Swiss timepiece market is not doing as well as it used to. The Apple Watch has now passed Rolex for world wide sales. Besides there are many very established Swiss watchmakers with a longer history and following then MB. That said maybe the pen market is even smaller and harder to make money in.

I had a pen that was sent back and forth from California USA to Germany 4 times between my AD and MB. I never touched the pen and at the end of 14 months, my AD said MB could not repair my limited edition pen. The MB boutique manager gave me a bottle of MB cologne and a newly released MB card holder. Ended up walking the pen to the mall jeweler who fixed my pen in 5 minutes! What a waste of 14 months thru MB service centers. Now I don't want to send a single pen in for a nib exchange or any type of repair.

I've purchased 5 new MB pens over the past 18 months - 4 from MB Boutique stores and one from an authorized dealer. 3 of the 5 had issues - hard starts and skipping. I made the decision to work on them myself (plenty of practice on cheaper pens) and they are all now wonderful writers. Thankfully I'm able to do so as the thought of mailing a new, and not inexpensive, pen to some repair center fills me with trepidation - even more so after reading threads like this.

I've purchased 5 new MB pens over the past 18 months - 4 from MB Boutique stores and one from an authorized dealer. 3 of the 5 had issues - hard starts and skipping. I made the decision to work on them myself (plenty of practice on cheaper pens) and they are all now wonderful writers. Thankfully I'm able to do so as the thought of mailing a new, and not inexpensive, pen to some repair center fills me with trepidation - even more so after reading threads like this.

I tend to agree with you. I didn't like the B nib in my Boheme so I reground it myself to a Architect Point. Now I love writing with it and, I know I took more care with it than anyone else would have done!

I think that it is a sad fact that MB are now more interested in selling "luxury goods" than pens. They still make excellent pens but quality control has slipped (and they are not alone in this). As for MB Boutiques, it seems that very few are staffed by people with any real knowledge of writing instruments, only on selling the most expensive items to the most gullible of customers. MB leather goods are beautiful but not worth a fraction of the prices asked.

Peter