How Were Pens 'branded'?

GCS93

The other day I was wondering by which process my Conway Stewarts, Waterman & Soennecken (and others) pens were branded.

Was this a stamp, or an engraving? Or something all together different?

I'd be quite interested in maybe using a similar technique on my own pens, but for now it'd be enough to know how they used to get marked.

Many thanks,

Geoffrey

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GCS93

• Parker51

• peterg

• Penzo

Branding - stamping, printing, engraving, heat-process, inlay, distinctive shape, design standards, distinctive packaging, advertising, interpersonal media, direct mail, distribution, word-of-mouth, sales men, publicity, public relations and events, endorsement by well-known people, contests, give-aways ...

Some of these methods of branding are harder than others for the home enthusiast. Some should not be tried at home.

Current production will use a laser. I have personally seen this done.

Historic pens used engraving. I have seen photographs of engraving departments.

At one point for personalization heat and a letter set was used. I had the oppertunity to purchase one type of such a machine for use in personalization. I literaly held the parts, unfortunately the letter sets were missing, so I would have been purchasing a heating system that likely would have needed to have been rewired to work, if I ever found any letters to go with it. I suspect the letters disapeared into some craft projects years ago.

So, there are many ways to mark ones pens.

One way for low production would be etching. A little tricky, but with skill suitable for low production items, and capable of producing interesting results.

Having gone through the Thesaurus, how are/ were the barrels and sometimes caps marked during manufacture?

That's the question I was trying to ask, but I might not have worded it properly.

Current production will use a laser. I have personally seen this done.

Historic pens used engraving. I have seen photographs of engraving departments.

At one point for personalization heat and a letter set was used. I had the oppertunity to purchase one type of such a machine for use in personalization. I literaly held the parts, unfortunately the letter sets were missing, so I would have been purchasing a heating system that likely would have needed to have been rewired to work, if I ever found any letters to go with it. I suspect the letters disapeared into some craft projects years ago.

So, there are many ways to mark ones pens.

One way for low production would be etching. A little tricky, but with skill suitable for low production items, and capable of producing interesting results.

How did they go about engraving the cylindrical surface though? I assume there was some contraption that rotated the pen together with the movement of the engraving arm?

Happen to have a link to any of those photos?

• 4 weeks later...

I have no expert knowledge in this area, but am under the impression that the barrels were heat stamped.

This thought comes from having owned an old Conway Stewart which had been mis-stamped and had two over-lapping imprints on the barrel. Unfortunately, this was back in the day and I have no photographs. (In fact, the more I think about it, it may have a Swan Mabie Todd, rather than a Conway Stewart? it was a lo-ong time ago, I honestly can't remember, but I remember the odd imprint being a curiosity!)

Thanks.

I have seen pens with double barrel imprints too. I have long assumed that they were heat stamped though I have no other evidence to back that up.

Regards,

Eachan