The Next Purchase?

DMT

So I've been into fountain pens for around 7 months now. Only got a few laying around (Conklin duragraph, twsbi eco, and a lamy alstar). As you can tell by my tiny collection I have, my style leans more towards the clean and cut look. Can have a dash of color like with the duragraph but I like it to remain very sleek looking. No real roundness, just nice edges anywhere and everywhere. I'm looking for a new pen to buy, have upwards of $300-$400 to spend. What should I get?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DMT

• TheRealMikeDr

• senzen

• tgoto

Restrained colours, simple/austere design, mid-teir? Would the Lamy 2000or a Franklin Christoph model fit? A second hand S T Dupont if you're lucky, might suit. They are very classy looking, flashy without being too flashy (if that makes sense). If you like small, light and thin pens, the Montblanc 145 pen might suit you too.

Would any of these hit the mark?

+1 for Franklin Christoph.

You can look into Sailor too. I like the Sailor Pro Gear.

Edison pens have quite some options too.

Pilot 912, Sailor 1911 large or pro gear, Pelikan M605.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I'm going to recommend you purchase the pen that will be my next purchase - the re-issued Parker Duofold Big Red!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BM3TFTK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1KMFXMT1SVSJH&colid=3L8E8UI4CZR4E&th=1

The International size comes in just at the top of your price range.

Other top pens in that price range (that *is* the sweet spot price range for a great pen IMO)

1) Pelikan M800 - you'll need to look on Ebay but you can find new ones in your range.

2) Sailor Pro Gear Realo - smallish pen but the Sailor nibs are superb!

3) Edison Collier - Brian and his crew at Edison make wonderful pens.

4) Ryan Krusak Legend - google it. Lots of different woods to choose from. I have two and can tell you the pictures don't do them justice - they're simply beautiful.

5) Lamy Imporium. You may need to do some work to find this one under $400 as well - but you can find them under $400 new (I got mine for $375) and it's worth the trouble. A wonderful nib on this unique pen.

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

I'm going to recommend you purchase the pen that will be my next purchase - the re-issued Parker Duofold Big Red!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BM3TFTK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1KMFXMT1SVSJH&colid=3L8E8UI4CZR4E&th=1

The International size comes in just at the top of your price range.

Other top pens in that price range (that *is* the sweet spot price range for a great pen IMO)

1) Pelikan M800 - you'll need to look on Ebay but you can find new ones in your range.

2) Sailor Pro Gear Realo - smallish pen but the Sailor nibs are superb!

3) Edison Collier - Brian and his crew at Edison make wonderful pens.

4) Ryan Krusak Legend - google it. Lots of different woods to choose from. I have two and can tell you the pictures don't do them justice - they're simply beautiful.

5) Lamy Imporium. You may need to do some work to find this one under $400 as well - but you can find them under $400 new (I got mine for $375) and it's worth the trouble. A wonderful nib on this unique pen.

I really like the black and gold Duofold, adds a few dollars to it but its hard not to want. I was also looking at the imporium, the nib looks like some futuristic type (bleep). Definitely dope. The body looks a little wack to me though.

I really like the black and gold Duofold, adds a few dollars to it but its hard not to want. I was also looking at the imporium, the nib looks like some futuristic type (bleep). Definitely dope. The body looks a little wack to me though.

I've got a Blue Duofold and love it - it's a wonderful writer. The Imporium isn't for everybody but I think it's super cool!

Just clicked the buy now button for the Big Red Duofold Centennial - arrives on Wednesday!

Are you set only on modern pens? Because there's always iconic vintage pens like the Parker 51 -- even the more uncommon colors are well within your price range. If you get an Aerometric model, the odds are really good that all the pen will need is a thorough flushing out, in spite of being a 60+ year old pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are you set only on modern pens? Because there's always iconic vintage pens like the Parker 51 -- even the more uncommon colors are well within your price range. If you get an Aerometric model, the odds are really good that all the pen will need is a thorough flushing out, in spite of being a 60+ year old pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Im down for anything as long as it looks good to me. Just by default though the things I consider to look good aren't usually found in older vintage pens. The Parker 51 is definitely not my style, I like to see my nib :P

Rick Propas has several 50's era Pelikan 400's for $305. Oh and they are tortoise models.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

How about a Conid Minimalistica (see Conid.be)?

At that maximum price, you have a huge number of options. I'd suggest you go to a pen if at all possible.

I cannot think of any. If a pen will roll from table to floor, it's round !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !