What Converter/cartridge Lamy Artus Uses?

Inksomnia

I have old school pen, Lamy Artus. It is c/c filler. I tried modern Lamy converter, but it didn't fit at all. What kind of converter/cartridge this pen uses?

post-124463-0-29158100-1503082353_thumb.jpg

post-124463-0-04917600-1503082364_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inksomnia

• Astronymus

• Robert Alan

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have exactly the same model but I have two old lamys that use international cartridges.

Edited by jchch1950

I have exactly the same model but I have two old lamys that use international cartridges.

Thanks! I have to try that. I haven't any international cartridges around, but I have to buy them next time shopping.

If I remember right Lamy changed around the end of the 1970s to their proprietary cartridges. Before that standard cartridges were in use.

International converter didn't fit.... So now I'm bit confused what I should try. Lamy cartridge/converter is too long for pen. Also, converter has those small dots, that don't fit with this pen.

Pelikan is very fussy about what converters it takes, even though the fit is int standard and the int st conv I have fits my other pens well. With the carts that I have, I have no problems putting them in any pen.

What I'm getting at: have you tried an int standard cart in the Lamy? Could be that it simply won't take your or any converter. Lamy started out as I remember with standard carts like Pelikan did and later changed to their propriety format (which is apparently the same as Parker's, the carts & conv have been used by many here interchangeably successfully). The red Lamy conv with the bobs doesn't fit all (modern) Lamy pens either, because of the bobs.. Only the Safari family & Nexx line, maybe the ABC (not sure). The other Lamy conv, the black one, fits all Lamy pens, except vintage, because of the change in cart format along the line.

International converter didn't fit.... So now I'm bit confused what I should try. Lamy cartridge/converter is too long for pen. Also, converter has those small dots, that don't fit with this pen.

If the Lamy cart or converter is too long, all converters will be too long, except mayby the Monteverde or Kaweco mini converters.

However, looking at your pen, that is strange. Did you check the barrel? There might be something stuck in there.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello! Although the only Artus I have in my Lamy collection is a piston-filled pen, I do have some early Lamy Ratio type "P" (patronen: cartridge) fountain pens that only accept international/Montblanc sized cartridges and appropriate converters. I own a Lamy 47P and a standard Rotring converter fits it, along with standard international cartridges. My Lamy Ratio 46Pn also accepts the same international cartridges and converters.

Modern Lamy fountain pens will only accept Lamy proprietary cartridges and converters (some specific to the Lamy model, like the Safari (snap-in registration 'ears,'), Accent & Persona (threaded converter)). Perhaps earlier Lamy (Artus) fountain pens with the 'patronen' designation will only accept international sized cartridges or converters, but, unfortunately, it seems not all international converters will fit properly.

One other thought: there is a very real possibility that your Artus model will only accept short international-size cartridges.

Good luck!

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

Lamy started out as I remember with standard carts like Pelikan did and later changed to their propriety format (which is apparently the same as Parker's, the carts & conv have been used by many here interchangeably successfully).

Modern Lamy and Parker are not the same format and not interchangeable. Just because some people have managed to persuade Lamy cartridges or convertors into Parker pens and vice versa does not make it good practice.

Make sure that there is no cartridge stuck in the barrel. Many german cartridge pens of that time were designed to use two cartridges back to back to fix them in place. Sometimes the one up the barrel gets stuck.

Make sure that there is no cartridge stuck in the barrel. Many german cartridge pens of that time were designed to use two cartridges back to back to fix them in place. Sometimes the one up the barrel gets stuck.

That's right. Remove the stuck cartridge with a long, thin screw. Screw it into the center of the cartridge and pull it out gently not scratching the barrel.

Modern Lamy and Parker are not the same format and not interchangeable. Just because some people have managed to persuade Lamy cartridges or convertors into Parker pens and vice versa does not make it good practice.

I totally agree and I am so glad to hear this from another FPN member. Thank you!

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for great conversation. I still haven't got any international short cartridges, because this my be only pen that uses those, maybe.

When looking in to the barrel, there is something stuck.

post-124463-0-13542300-1505664364_thumb.jpg

I have no clue what on earth it is, but it is really firmly there. It's about half way up in barrel. It actually look like cartridge, really smashed one.

Take the pen to the shop and try every converter posible, Sheaffer, Parker, etc.

If no modern converter nor cartridge fit, try it as an eyedropper,

Good luck,

Julio

It was indeed cartridge! I took it out by using small crochet hook. Also noticed, that cartridge has stepdown, so that is why converter didn't fit. But cartridge fit without problem. So, now I need international cartridge with that stepdown.

Also, cartridge was marked as Pelikan 4001 K/BLAU/BLUE.

It was indeed cartridge! I took it out by using small crochet hook. Also noticed, that cartridge has stepdown, so that is why converter didn't fit. But cartridge fit without problem. So, now I need international cartridge with that stepdown.

Also, cartridge was marked as Pelikan 4001 K/BLAU/BLUE.

Pelikan 4001 is the standard Pelikan ink. They are the short international type. If you happen to have the long Pelikan cartridges, or a Waterman long cartridge, those could fit as well, if the barrel is long enough.

And indeed, I was right, above, there was something stuck there.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I contacted Lamy about the issue and they wanted to see the pen. So pen is now on its way to Lamy. Hopefully they will find solution to this. I tried other international converters as well and none of them fitted. I don't use cartridge with any of my other fountain pens, nor none of them can take international. It would be inconvenient to have one pen, that uses international cartridges.

• 3 months later...

Pen is now coming back from Lamy factory and there was no converter that would fit. But Pelikan cartridges (not converters!) fit to this pen, not all international cartridges. It's weird, but maybe this has really thight fit or cartridges used to be smaller.

Plausible. There is no real norm for international cartridges. So they might slighty differ between the manufacturers. But Pelikan cartridges are easy to get. Even as special editions. Good for you.
Edited by Astron