Is Every Cardboard Box Precious?

Drawing61

Not being a fountain pen collector but an accumulator, to borrow a word from another FPN member, I eagerly read reviews of pens new and old. I want to know how the pen writes, how the nib feels, is it comfortable in the hand, how is the ink flow? If I buy a pen I am going to use it.

Many of the reviews I read start with a sort of strip tease, beginning with removing the brown paper wrapping and taking an eternity to finally reveal the lovely object concealed beneath.

I am still a fairly new fountain pen addict so please some veteran explain why this elaborate ceremony is necessary before discussing what is really important? Or am I reading the wrong reviews?

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Chrissy

• senzen

• Mister5

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being a fountain pen collector but an accumulator, to borrow a word from another FPN member, I eagerly read reviews of pens new and old. I want to know how the pen writes, how the nib feels, is it comfortable in the hand, how is the ink flow? If I buy a pen I am going to use it.

Many of the reviews I read start with a sort of strip tease, beginning with removing the brown paper wrapping and taking an eternity to finally reveal the lovely object concealed beneath.

I am still a fairly new fountain pen addict so please some veteran explain why this elaborate ceremony is necessary before discussing what is really important? Or am I reading the wrong reviews?

I feel just like you and I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WRAPPING, THE BOX, THE WARRANTY NOTE AND WHAT NOT!!!

But for collectors and keepers, it's probably worth their time and effort to keep these boxes, if only for resale if they eventually want to re-sell them.

And I agree with you: the reviews must be to the point: how it feels in the hand, of course a picture of the pen, a description of the ink filling system, and most importantly how it writes and how it feels on the paper...

The reviewers adopted a well-trodden style and lacked the imagination to vary it. The packaging is intended to add to the allure, but you're right, ultimately it's about the pen.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

For some pens I like,the box is interesting to have. For me, mainly Parker 51s. I have a few other boxes.

As far as the striptease review is concerned, it amuses once maybe, but cut to the chase.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It always gives me the impression that a review about a pen is immediately given after it is removed from whatever the wrapping material it comes in. To me this is hardly useful for anyone contemplating buying the model under consideration. A certain amount of time should be allowed in order to find out how reliable the pen is proving to be over an extended period of time, because it takes a while before any possible faults or other problems may become apparent.

It is interesting to note the number of complaints posted from members purchasing new pens which have shown up such problems after a week or two in use, which indicates that no pen should be assessed on the basis of writing, "The quick brown fox... " accompanied by a few squiggles lines or other "Artistic" flourishes!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Hi D61, et al,

It's just a tired and outdated marketing technique entitled, "Tease and Torment the Audience" in order to build-up and pique their interest and attention. (I can appreciate it for special or unique packaging).

And I do save all of my boxes... even the lowly Safari boxes.

Be well and enjoy life... and don't let the box reviews bring you down. :D

- Anthony

If I was watching a video review I would fast forward through the elaborate unwrapping and start watching when the pen appeared. :)

If I was watching a video review I would fast forward through the elaborate unwrapping and start watching when the pen appeared. :)

Look, Crissy,... this is a collector's forum... we're not interested in any practical, common sense solutions around here. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

I (for some unknown reason) save all the boxes, not just the most interesting or substantial, but agree that the time spent on discussing them in reviews is almost always wasted, at best, and, more typically, irritating.

Some of my the vintage Parkers came in the "original" boxes. The Parker 51s and the Parker 75, came with lovely, "hinged", hard cases. Parker 45s came in cardboard sleeves. I don't see them from one month to the next.

For some, drooling over the bubble wrap, and the mailing carton from Staples, adds anticipation to the intensity of the "new" pen. Bless 'em all ! It's fun. Personally, I just want to get the pen in my hands, for a damp "wipe-down", and flush. Then, a pen "belly" full of ink.

to-may-to / to-mah-to !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I'll go against the grain.

I am interested in unboxings of pens. Especially the cheap boxes. The question is, "if I order one of these pens, what are the chances that the pen will be in 10 pieces after being kicked around by the postal office". It isn't just once or twice when one gets to read "my x hundred money Pelikan didn't come in the better box" in Amazon / eBay comments, or even here.

Some time ago (okay, a year ago) there was a picture of quite expensive graphics card going around in the internet. Despite being shipped in it's own box, and outer brown box, the GPU was a toast. Why? Because there wasn't any packing peanuts between outer and inner boxes. Where did this happen? No, it wasn't USA like some sources claimed. It was Finland.

https://www.mtv.fi/lifestyle/digi/artikkeli/surulliset-kuvat-porilaisen-samin-postipaketista-leviavat-vauhdilla-netissa-pc-pelaajan-pahin-painajainen/6089534#gs.Ys9iNPA

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Look, Crissy,... this is a collector's forum... we're not interested in any practical, common sense solutions around here. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

:D

I'll go against the grain.

I am interested in unboxings of pens. Especially the cheap boxes. The question is, "if I order one of these pens, what are the chances that the pen will be in 10 pieces after being kicked around by the postal office". It isn't just once or twice when one gets to read "my x hundred money Pelikan didn't come in the better box" in Amazon / eBay comments, or even here.

Some time ago (okay, a year ago) there was a picture of quite expensive graphics card going around in the internet. Despite being shipped in it's own box, and outer brown box, the GPU was a toast. Why? Because there wasn't any packing peanuts between outer and inner boxes. Where did this happen? No, it wasn't USA like some sources claimed. It was Finland.

https://www.mtv.fi/lifestyle/digi/artikkeli/surulliset-kuvat-porilaisen-samin-postipaketista-leviavat-vauhdilla-netissa-pc-pelaajan-pahin-painajainen/6089534#gs.Ys9iNPA

Hi Aeba,

I'll stick up for you,... with this thought... seeing how the pen is supposed to be packaged from the manufacturer can also help in spotting bootlegs. ;)

[name=Chrissy" post="3904155" timestamp="1503070256]

:D

:)

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

ETA: See what happens when I try to multi-quote. :huh:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Sometimes I like a little of the anticipation in the videos before the presentation of the actual pen.

I like how SBRE Brown does it and often just pitches the white outer sleeve aside.

Sometimes the information is useful - like if its a TWSBI, they hide the wrench and the silicone grease in there, but most of the time there's just marketing collateral and "how to fill your pen"/warranty info.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

What might seem completely superfluous to you (and me) might be valuable info to others. There is some fetichism involved, I've long found unboxing videos for computers, phones and such bizarre, but I just skip ahead.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Some people love unboxing videos of products. This is not just for the pen world but in general. It's like people taking pictures of their food.

I really don't care to watch someone unbox something. Maybe if you were planing on giving the item as a gift without ever owning one for oneself then it would be a good idea to experience what the person you are sending it to will see.

I bought two Waterman Edsons. One Ruby Red, and one Emerald Green.. They were NOS must have been in the boxes since they left the factory. The white Faux leather had stuck to both pens. Had a time getting the stuff off the pen barrels.

So. Not always a good idea to leave pens in their boxes.

So it is time to go check my boxed pens. But no. Almost impossible to rummage around, find and check hundreds.

Khan M. Ilyas

The box is usually of no interest to me, what I would be interested n is the individual parts that made up the pen and how they are put together, thus I almost always like to disassemble my pens to get a look at it ... lol