The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Do You Do If The Oblique Pen Holder Doesn't Fit In The Ink Glass?

oblique ink holder help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Godot11

Godot11

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:37

I am at the beginning of my calligraphy hobby. I want to learn Copperplate writing, and for that I ordered a cheap oblique pen holder from eBay. The problem is, well, is this:

OZUsNoo.jpg

Apart from hacking down a bit from the metal piece (what I'm willing to do if I have to), is there a widely accepted ethical solution for this problem among Elite Calligraphers? :)

Edited by Godot11, 17 August 2017 - 09:37.

Sponsored Content

#2 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:14

Get yourself some Nalgene 1oz jars, they are ideal for this.  Make sure they are jars and not the bottles.

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#3 Godot11

Godot11

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:38

Get yourself some Nalgene 1oz jars, they are ideal for this.  Make sure they are jars and not the bottles.

Good idea, I even have some of those tiny jars you get at hotels filled with jam. I'd like to keep the ink in the original glass though, I really like it  :blush:  sacrifices have to be made, I guess :wacko:

#4 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 13:28

Calligraphy supply usually sell inkwell that are tailored for dip pen use, but well a simple small wide mouth shooter glass can do the trick

#5 chaik76

chaik76

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 20:32

You can also use a dropper and ink the nib rather than dipping the nib. It's not my preferred method, but I do use it when necessary, and at least one book recommends inking the nib rather than dipping in all cases.

#6 DipIt

DipIt

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 20:49

I've found that I have to transfer to a more convenient container. The little jars that the ink comes in seem often to be too wide in the lip to reach the ink as the level drops. I use the ink miser one shot with some solder wrapped around the pedestal to keep it from getting top heavy. The downside is that there is no cap. Goulet has some sample vials that work well but they are light and need to be anchored while in use. They are ink proof when the cap is on. John Neal Bookseller has some options on their web catalog.

#7 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 22:53

I go to the local art supply store (California Art Supply, formerly FLAX San Mateo), and buy small wide mouth jars.

I transfer ink into these jars.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 24-26, 2018 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:20

Had the same issue with my offset nib holder. I got a little pen cup from Pendemonium and I transfer ink to the cup.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#9 Rednaxela

Rednaxela

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:42

Akkerman ink bottles are perfect for this. The neck acts everytime as a newly filled inkwell.

Also, Akkerman #10 is excellent dip pen ink, capable of very fine hairlines and thick shades.

Hope this helps.
~ Alexander

#10 Pendarion

Pendarion

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:16

I found a dolls' house tea cup yesterday in a charity shop - which I think will be perfect for this!  I was in there looking for something else entirely and one of the ladies working in there got chatting - she saw me looking at small, orphaned cups (for this exact purpose)  and said "Have you seen this?"  Crown Derby, too!  It's wider at the top than my ink bottles.  But not so deep I'd need to decant loads of ink into it.  Might have to get husband to make me a wooden stand for it to keep it stable...

Also realised the old ink wells (can be got, also orphaned, so cheap-ish on eBay) from writing slopes might be good because origially they were designed for dip pens - although you need to find one with a wide-ish neck as they'd have been straight pens - and are shallow.

I experimented decanting a small Diamine 30ml bottle into my writing slope well, and have nearly half the Diamine still in the original bottle - so their capacity is low but they seem to have been designed not to be such tall bottles, as they were meant for dip pens. If that makes sense?

#11 DipIt

DipIt

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:39

Usually, when I "reload" I rotate the holder such that the nib is inverted and side the tip only into the ink at about
45 degrees. I am trying to hang a drop on the underside of the nib near the vent. I try never to dip the holder.

Edited by DipIt, 20 August 2017 - 02:39.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oblique, ink holder, help

Sponsored Content

|