The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi Turquoise Or Lamy Petrol

comparison twsbi lamy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rosendust2121

Rosendust2121

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 22:02

Hi! Which would you recommend based on that I like my Pilot metropolitan and which would be easier for me grip wise and maintenance wise? Or if you can recommend me other brands, that would be helpful as well.
Thanks for any input!

Edited by Rosendust2121, 16 August 2017 - 22:04.

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite  flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer.

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 22:09

If you don't mind the shaped grip then I find the steel nibs on Lamy Safaris are quite smooth. On the other hand the TWSBI is a piston filler and the Safari is a C/C filler. At the end of the day it has to be your choice.  :)

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 22:31

For grip, the Lamy Safari has a faceted section for the fingers.  If your fingers do not naturally land there, it may feel uncomfortable to write with.  The round section of the TWSBI does not have that issue.

For maintenance, I choose the Lamy, because it is a cartridge/converter pen.  I find c/c pens much easier to clean than a piston pen, because I can put a bulb syringe on the section and push a LOT of water through the section, so I can clean it faster.

I have and use both the Lamy joy/Safari and a TWSBI Eco, and like them both.

The joy is a Safari with a longer tapered body, like a desk pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#4 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:25

I happen to think the ECO is a better pen. 

#5 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:09

+1 for the Eco - I have both but definitely prefer the Eco.

If you have enough pennies it's worth considering the Vac 700R, I've got one with a medium nib and it's one of my favourite pens.

Al

#6 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 14:51

I have multiple of both (plus both models you're considering).  Nibs are very much personal preference, but I prefer the Lamy nib over the TSWBI (I feel Lamy nibs, especially their gold ones, are very under-rated), however for some reason I'm more likely to grab the ECO to write with - I'm comfortable with the triangular section so it's not that - note it does ot work for everyone.  From a looks wise - I love watching ink slosh around in a demonstrator, but the turquoise is very much in your face, where as the petrol it quite a subtle model.

In reality they are two very different pens, if you're happy with the triangular grip you can't go wrong with either.

#7 Rosendust2121

Rosendust2121

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 15:14

Thank you everyone.

After some consideration, I am going with the Lamy Petrol. 

Edited by Rosendust2121, 17 August 2017 - 15:14.

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite  flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comparison, twsbi, lamy

Sponsored Content

|