Looking For An Everyday Long Form Writing Ink Reccomendation

DigitalMedievalist

I'm looking for ink recommendations:

1. Blue or black or somewhere in between

2. To be used on less than great paper, for writing longhand drafts (think Mead 5 Star notebook paper or similar)

I'd like something that doesn't feather too much in a fine point Namiki or Pilot Metropolitan.

I realize that this may be impossible, but I can't buy Clare Fontaine paper or the like for rough drafts.

Thank you!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DigitalMedievalist

• KellyMcJ

• LizEF

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamine Denim is my favorite blue-black; Noodler's FPN Starry Night is my favorite black-blue.

Neither feathers on Tops Docket Gold tablets I use for work. Haven't used Mead 5 Star.

Thanks much aardvarkbark and LizEF; I'll try all three.

Also thanks for reminding me about Tops Docket Gold tablets.

How water resistant do you need it to be? For black, I really like Noodler's Heart of Darkness (it's pretty black, dries relatively quickly, and doesn't smudge (my main complaint about regular Noodler's Black).

For blue-black, I'm really starting to like Edelstein Tanzanite (not as water resistant as some inks, but well-behaved otherwise -- and unlike a lot of blue-blacks, it doesn't lean teal...). Haven't tried Starry Night, but I also like Noodler's Ellis Island Blue-Black. Another one to have a look at is Blackstone Barrister Blue (which did well in a fine nib). And I'm really fond of some of the iron gall inks I've tried: I heartily recommend KWZI IG Blue-Black and IG Blue #3, Ackerman Izjer-Galnoten, and (although it's bluer than some IG inks, R&K Salix).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pilot Blue-Black. It's like it's made for that situation.

Seconding this, although Pilot Blue-Black does bleed and feather on some really awful papers. It's what's currently what's in my everyday carry pen. I am testing other inks but I may well go back to it. It's the old never fail standby.

Seconding this, although Pilot Blue-Black does bleed and feather on some really awful papers. It's what's currently what's in my everyday carry pen. I am testing other inks but I may well go back to it. It's the old never fail standby.

But in a Japanese fine? I think most inks will work well on "normal" paper when coming out of a Japanese fine... :D

But in a Japanese fine? I think most inks will work well on "normal" paper when coming out of a Japanese fine... :D

The Namiki does seem awfully forgiving, though I do flush it before refilling, even if I'm using the same ink.

Hi,

In addition to the fine suggestions above, kindly consider Sheaffer Skrip BlBk and Diamine Sapphire.

part of the thing to get fine results on naughty paper is to write with a light hand. Consider your pen to be more of a wand than a chisel.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

How water resistant do you need it to be?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm not too worried; about water resistance; these are rough drafts, and I'll either keyboard or make a fair copy of them before keyboarding.

These are some great suggestions, and some makers I'm not familiar with.

It is fascinating to me that modern inks come in iron oxide varieties; when you take paleography, most classes spend a great deal of time on teaching how to make medieval inks.

Edited by DigitalMedievalist

That's what I use and yes. But then, I'm not talking about your everyday bad paper, I'm talking about ADVANCED bad paper. The kind that when you place the nib on the paper, an inkblot starts spreading and you have to write really fast or it goes through at least to the next sheet. On ordinary bad paper it's pretty good.

That's what I use and yes. But then, I'm not talking about your everyday bad paper, I'm talking about ADVANCED bad paper. The kind that when you place the nib on the paper, an inkblot starts spreading and you have to write really fast or it goes through at least to the next sheet. On ordinary bad paper it's pretty good.

I'm mostly using ordinary bad paper ;) If I let the nib linger, I'll likely be sorry, but as long as I move briskly and lightly, I'm ok.

I have some commonly available inks.

Thornton black

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

Thornton blue

Noodler's Heart Of Darkness

Montblanc blue-black

Noodler's Eel Blue

Send me two or three sheets of your paper. In my spare time, I'll write a couple of lines, using my Pilot Metropolitan and each ink. I drop it in the mail. It will be fun. Address on your PM.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

What a kind and thoughtful offer; thanks so much.

I have some commonly available inks.

Thornton black

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

Thornton blue

Noodler's Heart Of Darkness

Montblanc blue-black

Noodler's Eel Blue

Send me two or three sheets of your paper. In my spare time, I'll write a couple of lines, using my Pilot Metropolitan and each ink. I drop it in the mail. It will be fun. Address on your PM.

Aaaah, that paper. :D Got it! Yes, for that paper, you'd need a really special ink.

Aaaah, that paper. :D Got it! Yes, for that paper, you'd need a really special ink.

Unfortunately that paper is what I frequently have to deal with, and I never know that it's that paper until it's too late. :lol:

Unfortunately that paper is what I frequently have to deal with, and I never know that it's that paper until it's too late. :lol:

I HATE inconsistent paper.

Where the quality of the paper varies from sheet to sheet.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I HATE inconsistent paper.

Where the quality of the paper varies from sheet to sheet.

Or from place to place in the same sheet!

For most note taking I bring my own paper, but often I'm at the mercy of whatever is in the printer at the time.

As others have mentioned, iron gall inks are typically good on bad paper. I have been very happy with Diamine Registrar's.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2