Has Anyone Compared Noodler's Ktc And Sailor Nioi Sumire?

hinky

Hello everyone! I hope my question hasn't been asked before (I looked but couldn't get through all the topics). Just need a little help comparing two inks...

Does anyone have swatches or written samples of Noodler's KTC and Sailor Nioi Sumire? I already have Nioi Sumire and was wondering if it's worth it getting Noodler's KTC...or are they too similar? Does anyone have experience with both inks (compare color and characteristics)?

I've recently discovered blurple inks and I love them. Unfortunately, where I'm from, my brand choices are limited. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance :)

*I just realized this topic might be in the wrong category. It should probably be in Inky comparisons. Oh well, I guess it'll be moved by the mods. I'm so sorry :(

Edited by hinky

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hinky

• Memory

• inkstainedruth

• white_lotus

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done a real side by side, but I don't think they're similar enough in color. Nioi Sumire is more purple from the get-go, while KTC is really more of a deep indigo with purple undertones, in my experience.

I keep looking for a better behaved replacement for KTC, but so far I haven't found ANYTHING that gets me that color and saturation. Not to mention getting the same absolute permanence, and the fact that it's one of the few inks I've found that works on those plastic Post-it flags. So I just put up with its tendency to get cloggy, and try to remember that if I refill with distilled water it is going to be more purple and less indigo.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the info! Before I bought nioi sumire, KTC was my first choice. I guess I'm gonna have to get a bottle of it. Oh well, any excuse to buy more ink, amirite? :)

Get a sample first if you can -- because KTC is one you're either going to love or hate. Or both at the same time.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks again Ruth! I might get a sample, but knowing me, I'll probably buy a bottle eventually anyway 😂 One can never have too many shades of blue/blue-black/blurple 😁

Get a sample first if you can -- because KTC is one you're either going to love or hate. Or both at the same time.... :rolleyes:

I just tested Noodler's KtC, Sailor Nioi-Sumire, and Sailor Shigure this past weekend, including diluting each to try and enhance some colors on the crappy copy paper I have to use for work edits. (I may have misspelled the Japanese names since I'm on my phone, but I'll double check when I get to my computer. I can also upload a photo if you like.

I totally agree with testing KtC before purchasing the large, comparatively expensive bottle from Noodler's. I'm a huge fan of Noodlers, especially because I love their bulletproof inks and they got me back into fountain pens. I thought I would love KtC. I was shocked to think it was merely "meh." It's so dark that it reads to me as more of a cobalt than a bluish purple, it's been really difficult for me in terms of hard starts while writing (not even when I've paused for a second or leave it uncapped), and definitely requires the most upkeep of any ink I've used (including shimmering and India inks). I don't mind the typical Noodler's resin smell, but I don't like the smell of this ink at all. It reminds me too much of phenol.

My personal preference was the two Sailor inks. Shigure was way too black for me, but diluting it brought out a gorgeous purple. Nioi-Sumire was nice, but a slight dilution brought out all the bluish purple goodness.

Alas, I might not be able to try KTC anytime soon. The only shop that sells it (where I am) ran out of stock. I've resorted to trying ink mixing to get a blurple ink close to it. For now, nioi sumire will have to do. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I just got hung up on KTC 😅

Would you still like me to upload a comparison photo? I have a deadline but am happy to spread the inky love.

I'm super picky about purple, even though it's my favorite color. I like true purples on the bluish end of the spectrum, as opposed to violet which I typically describe being towards the red end of the spectrum.

My favorite has been Noodler's Violet Vote, but between my first introduction to fountain pens 20 years ago and rediscovering them this past year, I hear that ink has been discontinued because Nathan Tardiff can't find the same ingredients. I'm actually about to order some more ink samples from Goulet after not falling in love with KtC. Diluted Shigure is close, but I feel like there's a better match for me. Then again, I LOVE Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape, but I recognize others might not like reading something that bright. I also need s more conventional, non-bulletproof ink for some of my brush pens that I reuse.

I can try posting those if you like too. Color matching will vary, but at least you'll have Nioi-Sumire as a reference point :)

Ok, will do! When I have a break, I'll post KtC, Nioi-Sumire, and Shigan side-by-side along with the dilutions I made over the weekend.

It'll be a bit before the new samples come in, so if I happen to forget, please, please, don't be afraid to nudge me.

Havea great one!

All my images are down while I transfer hosting companies, but I'll post up comparisons soon. KTC is a color that is closer to periwinkle than to dark deep purple, and KTC is a tad chalky. SNS by comparison is a sheeny fun ink. However, KTC is fade proof, water proof, dirt proof and kid proof. So, use KTC to prepare for the Zombies.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY