Lady Sheaffers

PenHero

That Corduroy is such a good looking pen.

Sheaffer were so inventive with their materials and designs, not sure that they have been surpassed in all this time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• blueboy

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer IX Balicon Red c. 1963-1964. The Balicon name is a departure from naming Lady Sheaffer models after fabrics and weaves, and actually has no dictionary definition. It was also used on two models, this model IX and the model VIII, an identical pen with a black section. This clipless model features a polished gold plated metal cap and barrel with an engraved net pattern with red color fill Sheaffer called Tulle when on the Lady Sheaffer XI, XII and XIV models. The section is Red color to compliment the cap and barrel. The gold Stylpoint nib, previously used on earlier model AC19 PEP cartridge pens and the Imperial I, is not hallmarked and is a new nib for the Lady Sheafffer line in 1963. The two Balicon models are essentially reworked Lady Sheaffer XII Tulle pens with new sections. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It sold for $7.95 and the matching pencil sold for $5.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyIX_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer VIII Balicon Jet (black) c. 1963-1964. The Balicon name is a departure from naming Lady Sheaffer models after fabrics and weaves, and actually has no dictionary definition. It was also used on two models, this model VIII and the model IX, an identical pen with a red section. This clipless model features a polished gold plated metal cap and barrel with an engraved net pattern with black color fill Sheaffer called Tulle when on the Lady Sheaffer XI, XII and XIV models. The section is Jet black color to compliment the cap and barrel. The gold Stylpoint nib, previously used on earlier model AC19 PEP cartridge pens and the Imperial I, is not hallmarked and is a new nib for the Lady Sheafffer line in 1963. The two Balicon models are essentially reworked Lady Sheaffer XII Tulle pens with new sections. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It sold for $7.95 and the matching pencil sold for $5.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyVIII_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer X Tulle pen and pencil set c. 1959. This clipless model features an Ivory color enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved net pattern with gold color fill Sheaffer called Tulle. The section is Ivory, Sheaffer’s number 5 White color, to match the cap and barrel. The gold nib is not hallmarked. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It sold for $12.50 and the matching pencil sold for $5.00. The packaging was a large elaborate oval paperboard cylinder similar to a cosmetics package, which included a cloth pen and pencil holder and separate ink cartridge holder.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyX_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is one of the hardest Lady Sheaffer pens to find.

This is a Lady Sheaffer XXXV Damask fountain pen c. 1959. Damask is a reversible woven patterned fabric made of linen, silk, cotton, or wool. The Lady Sheaffer XXXV Damask has an etched gold diamond pattern on a silver finish. The pen has a raised ring filled with white rhinestones. The nib section is Ivory, Sheaffer’s number 5 White color. The nib is unhallmarked gold. The fountain pen sold for $35.00 and the matching pencil sold for $10.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyXXXV_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer III Corduroy c. 1959. This clipless model features a Jet color enameled metal cap and barrel with engraved lines and gold color fill Sheaffer called Corduroy. The section is Jet black color to match the cap and barrel. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped and has the correct palladium silver nib, which is not hallmarked. It sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil sold for $4.95. The packaging was a large elaborate oval paperboard cylinder similar to a cosmetics package, which included a cloth pen and pencil holder and separate ink cartridge holder.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyIII_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer XX Satin Ivory c. 1958-1962. Satin is a fabric woven in which the filling threads are interlaced with the warp at widely separated intervals, producing the effect of an unbroken surface, typically glossy with a dull back. The Lady Sheaffer XX Satin has an etched satin pattern on a silver color finish. The pen has gold-plated inlay center bands. The nib section is Ivory, Sheaffer’s number 5 White color. The nib is unhallmarked gold. The fountain pen sold for $20.00 and the matching pencil sold for $7.50.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyXX_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an undocumented Lady Sheaffer Tulle pen c. 1959. This clipless model features a silver color brocade pattern metal cap and barrel with an engraved net pattern Sheaffer called Tulle. The section is Periwinkle color. The palladium silver nib is not hallmarked. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. The section is screen printed MED over $10.00, which is the same price as the Lady Sheaffer VI Paisley with a Periwinkle color section. It's possible this is a prototype or a short run model.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an undocumented Lady Sheaffer pen c. 1959. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved gold filled wave pattern. The section is Jet black color to match the cap and barrel. The gold nib is not hallmarked. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. The section is screen printed MED over $12.50, which is the same price as the Lady Sheaffer Tulle pens. It's possible this is a prototype or a short run model.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an undocumented and uncatalogued Lady Sheaffer pen c. 1959. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved gold filled fish scale pattern that looks like a partial rendition of the Paisley pattern. The section is Jet black color to match the cap and barrel. The palladium silver nib is not hallmarked. Given the nib section and pattern, this pen appears to be a test of a $10.00 price point pen. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It's possible this is a prototype or a short run model.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_03.jpg

Hi, Folks!

This is an undocumented and uncatalogued Lady Sheaffer pen c. 1959. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved gold filled larger fish scale pattern that looks like a partial rendition of the Paisley pattern. The section is Jet black color to match the cap and barrel. The gold nib is not hallmarked. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It's possible this is a prototype or a short run model.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_04.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a variation of the Lady Sheaffer XXIV Petit Point c. 1959. The engraving method used likely created pattern shifts and longer and shorter flowers that can be seen on these pens. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved repeating floral design with what Sheaffer called silver color fill. The cap band is also a silver color fill decorative engraving. The section is Jet black to match the cap and barrel. Note the gold nib with palladium plating. It's about 5 3/8 inches long capped. This pen was $27.50. There is no mention of a matching pencil in the 1959 catalog.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_05.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an undocumented and uncatalogued Lady Sheaffer pen c. 1959. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved gold filled long double wave pattern similar to the Lady Sheaffer I Tweed single wave pattern. Unfortunately a good bit of the fill is worn off. The section is Jet black color to match the cap and barrel. The palladium silver nib is not hallmarked. The nib section is silk screened MED over $10.00, possibly indicating a test of a $10.00 price point pen. It's about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It's possible this is a prototype or a short run model.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyPrototype_1280_06.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This one eluded me until I saw it at the Washington DC Pen Show...

This is a Lady Sheaffer XXI Satin Mandarin Red c. 1958-1962. Satin is a fabric woven in which the filling threads are interlaced with the warp at widely separated intervals, producing the effect of an unbroken surface, typically glossy with a dull back. The Lady Sheaffer XXI Satin has an etched satin pattern on a silver color finish. The pen has gold-plated inlay center bands. The nib section is Mandarin Red, Sheaffer’s number 19 Vermilion color. The nib is unhallmarked gold. The fountain pen sold for $20.00 and the matching pencil sold for $7.50.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferLadyXXI_1280_03.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is so enjoyable and these beautiful pens are enhanced by your complementary backdrops and excellent photography.

I'm ready to purchase the coffee table book of these pens. (I'm not kidding!)

This thread is so enjoyable and these beautiful pens are enhanced by your complementary backdrops and excellent photography.

I'm ready to purchase the coffee table book of these pens. (I'm not kidding!)

That is actually the plan. Once I have the opportunity to photograph the complete set of prototypes and get some more primary information, a book will be done.

That is actually the plan. Once I have the opportunity to photograph the complete set of prototypes and get some more primary information, a book will be done.

:thumbup: I'm in! Photographs like these need more than a glance, they beg to be studied.

• 1 month later...

Does the Sheaffer skrip cartridge in anyones pen fit really quite tight?

I read that you're meant to put the cart in the barrel and screw down the section into it, causing it to puncture and take up ink.

I did this and also did it the way i normally do (just mash the cart into the bit that takes the cartridge) and both worked, but when threading the barrel all the way up it gets tight and there is more resistance than i've ever noticed on a pen so its a little scary.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer model 904 Paisley pattern fountain pen c. 1976-1978. It looks similar to the Lady Sheaffer IV Paisley engraving, a wave pattern on a black enamel cap and barrel with gold color fill. This 5 1/8 inch long cartridge / converter model follows the the general cap, barrel and section design of Lady Sheaffer pens seen in the 1973 Sheaffer catalog. It has a long nib section with a 14 karat gold inset nib stamped SHEAFFER over 585 over 14K over U.S.A. This pattern appears in a 1977 newspaper ad.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/LadySheaffer904Paisley_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!