The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lady Sheaffers

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 00:51

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Lady XV Moire c1959.  Sheaffer introduced 18 different models of the Lady pen line in 1959.  These were all metal cartridge only Skripsert pens that ranged in price from $10 to $35.  This model featured a metal cap and barrel in a white moire pattern with a decorative cap band with blue and white "brilliants."  The section is ivory colored to match.  It's about 5 3/8 inches long capped.  This pen was $15.00 and the matching twist action pencil was $7.50.

I'll post some more over the next few days.  Can we all come up with all 18 examples?

SheafferLadyXV_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:57

As a young girl I remember seeing these pens advertised in my Mum's Readers Digest magazines and being wowed by them. How elegant and feminine they are.

#3 oliverob

oliverob

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:21

What beautiful photography you do!

#4 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:29

What beautiful photography you do!

Thanks!  :)

#5 blueboy

blueboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 18:34

I've always had an interest in fountain pens but the Lady Sheaffer range really got me into collecting.

I have all the models of the clipless Lady range apart from the super rare Matelasse. I have never seen one in the flash, or even know anyone who knows anyone who's seen one !!!

File0008971.JPG

Peter M
@blueboy2419

#6 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 22:09

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Lady XVII Brocade c1959.  This model features a metal cap and barrel in a cream brocade pattern with a pair of decorative gold color filigree bands where the cap and barrel meet.  The cap includes a band of white "brilliants." The section is Jet black to contrast with the cap and barrel. It's about 5 3/8 inches long capped. This pen was $15.00 and the matching twist action pencil was $7.50. 

SheafferLadyXVII_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

#7 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 22:10

I've always had an interest in fountain pens but the Lady Sheaffer range really got me into collecting.

I have all the models of the clipless Lady range apart from the super rare Matelasse. I have never seen one in the flash, or even know anyone who knows anyone who's seen one !!!

Very nice collection!  If you search FPN, there are photos of a member's Matelasse.

#8 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:59

Hi, Folks! 

This is a Lady Sheaffer XXIV Petit Point c1959. This clipless model features a black enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved repeating floral design with what Sheaffer called silver color fill.   The cap band is also a silver color fill decorative engraving.  The section is Jet black to match the cap and barrel. Note the gold nib with palladium plating.  It's about 5 3/8 inches long capped. This pen was $27.50.  There is no mention of a matching pencil in the 1959 catalog. 

SheafferLadyXXIV_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

#9 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 953 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:32

This is a Sheaffer Lady XVII Brocade c1959. 

That was the only one I could have offered up, although mine has a single tone Australian nib and rather more lived-in cap. Happily your photography as well as your example is considerably better than mine. :D

#10 blueboy

blueboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 16:46

Very nice collection!  If you search FPN, there are photos of a member's Matelasse.

Jim

I had seen a picture that was supposed to be the Matelasse but there was some doubt as it did not entirely fit the description in the Pen World article detailing the range, for instance it did not have a ring of brilliants. I did attend a UK pen show where the owner was going to bring the actual pen along for examination but it was a no show....

Here's another example: The Lady Sheaffer XXIII Petit Point. This pen has Gold Nib, Ivory Section, Gold Bands and Gold Flowers over Ivory. The pen sold for $27.50.

I believe there is a matching pencil but I have yet to see one.

Lady Sheaffer XIII - Levenger Pomegranite (Copy).jpg

Peter M
@blueboy2419

#11 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 16:56

I had seen a picture that was supposed to be the Matelasse but there was some doubt as it did not entirely fit the description in the Pen World article detailing the range, for instance it did not have a ring of brilliants. I did attend a UK pen show where the owner was going to bring the actual pen along for examination but it was a no show....

This is the link to the Lady Sheaffer Matelasse discussion here on FPN:

http://www.fountainp...ffer-matelasse/

If this is not a Matelasse, then what is it?  Perhaps the ring of brilliants was removed / fell off?

post-6518-0-47679900-1454789525.jpg

Thanks!

#12 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 17:04

Another interesting point - I don't see the Matelasse listed in the 1959 Lady Sheaffer brochure.  It's also not listed in the 1963 repair manual.  Wonder when it was made?

#13 blueboy

blueboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 17:27

This is the link to the Lady Sheaffer Matelasse discussion here on FPN:

http://www.fountainp...ffer-matelasse/

If this is not a Matelasse, then what is it?  Perhaps the ring of brilliants was removed / fell off?

post-6518-0-47679900-1454789525.jpg

Thanks!

The owner confirmed that there was no sign of there having been a ring of brilliants and there were some other inconsistencies.

After some discussion with fellow enthusiasts, I think we came to the conclusion that this particular pen was some kind of prototype.

Whatever it is, it is interesting and I would have bought it in a heartbeat had I had the chance.

Peter M
@blueboy2419

#14 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:48

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would show a white Lady Sheaffer XXIII Petit Point like Peter's with a little emphasis on the cap and barrel engraving to show how Sheaffer made the design look like embroidery.

This is a Lady Sheaffer XXIII Petit Point c1959. This clipless model features an Ivory color enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved repeating floral design with gold color fill. You can see the design sharply on this pen as  the engraving cuts are more separated and look more like petit point embroidery.  The cap band is a gold color fill decorative embroidery-like engraving. The section is Ivory color to match the cap and barrel.  The gold nib is not hallmarked.  The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It sold for $27.50. There is no mention of a matching pencil in the 1959 catalog. 

SheafferLadyXXIII_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

#15 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:37

Fabulous photos Jim, but please have mercy..... I'm drooling into my coffee this morning.

#16 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:38

Fabulous photos Jim, but please have mercy..... I'm drooling into my coffee this morning.

:D Thanks!

#17 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:04

Hi, Folks! 

This is a Lady Sheaffer V Paisley c1959. This clipless model features an Ivory color enameled metal cap and barrel with an engraved wave pattern with gold color fill Sheaffer called Paisley. You can see the pen and pencil have different versions of the pattern.  The section is Ivory color to match the cap and barrel. The palladium silver nib is not hallmarked. The pen is about 5 3/8 inches long capped. It sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil sold for $4.95.  The packaging was a large elaborate oval paperboard cylinder similar to a cosmetics package, which included a cloth pen and pencil holder and separate ink cartridge holder, as shown.

SheafferLadyV_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

#18 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 13:15

Wow. Sheaffer Beauties on display. Thanks, Jim for showing.
Khan

#19 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 20:36

Hi, Folks! 

This is a Lady Sheaffer model 921 Gold Plated Chevron pattern fountain pen c1973-1978.  This model follows the the general cap, barrel and section design of similar Lady Sheaffer pens seen in the 1973 Sheaffer catalog.   The 5 1/8 inch long cartridge / converter pen has a 14 karat gold inset nib in a long nib section that first appears in the 1973 catalog and advertisements.  Many versions of this type of Lady Sheaffer pen were offered at least through 1978.  Prior versions had a short conical nib.  The engraving consists of deeply cut long lines that make up the overall pattern.

SheafferLadyChevron_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

#20 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:31

Hi, Folks!

This is a Lady Sheaffer XVI Moire c1959.  Sheaffer introduced 18 different models of the Lady pen line in 1959.  These were all metal cartridge only Skripsert pens that ranged in price from $10 to $35.  This model featured a metal cap and barrel in a gold moire pattern with a decorative filigree cap band with white “brilliants.”  The section is Mandarin Red colored to match.  It’s about 5 3/8 inches long capped.  The nib is two-tone palladium masked gold, but not hallmarked.  It sold for $15.00 and the matching twist action pencil was $7.50.

SheafferLadyXVI_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

|