Brand New Pilot Metro Ink Flow Issues After Only 4 Days

FPNoowbie

Hey guys, and gals. I am in need of some insight. Just four days ago I purchased the Fountain Pen Newbie Set from Goulet Pens. Am using Noodler's Black in the Metro and writing on Rhodia Dot pad. So anyways, I notice I am not getting proper ink flow from it like I was the first three days. I am getting extra feedback and skipping. Could this mean that I need to get a brass shim and floss it? I've already flushed it several times, using small amounts of dish soap. Not sure if I am comfortable messing with the tines as this is only my second fountain pen. Do your pens usually flow significantly more after you floss your tines?

Thanks, any advice helps.

Edited by FPNoowbie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• Gloucesterman

• Larina_1248

• FPNoowbie

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother with the brass shim just yet. Let's try something a bit more simple and easily reversible first.

It could be that there's an air bubble, and this seems the most likely if it worked perfectly in the first 3 days. The restricted ink flow is maybe causing the pen to occasionally skip and feel like it's dry and more feedbacky due to the lessening of lubrication (less ink flow = less lubrications). In that case, try flushing out the converter with dishsoap and water then flush with clean water.

Have you tried using a different ink? Perhaps pick up a cheap sample of ink from Goulets to test. Waterman Serenity blue would be safe bet.

It's possible, but less likely, that you pen doesn't like the ink and is maybe causing some clogging, which wouldn't be unheard of with Noodlers although Noodlers black isn't usually a culprit.

Edited by Bluey

Don't bother with the brass shim just yet. Let's try something a bit more simple and easily reversible first.

It could be that there's an air bubble, and this seems the most likely if it worked perfectly in the first 3 days. The restricted ink flow is maybe causing the pen to occasionally skip and feel like it's dry and more feedbacky due to the lessening of lubrication (less ink flow = less lubrications). In that case, try flushing out the converter with dishsoap and water then flush with clean water.

Have you tried using a different ink? Perhaps pick up a cheap sample of ink from Goulets to test. Waterman Serenity blue would be safe bet.

It's possible, but less likely, that you pen doesn't like the ink and is maybe causing some clogging, which wouldn't be unheard of with Noodlers although Noodlers black isn't usually a culprit.

Great suggestion about flushing the converter as well as the section. Also, as the Metro nib is a friction fit nib/feed, one might take the nib/feed out and soak that a little too. A very knowledgeable friend uses "Rapidoeze" (sp?) as a very effective and dependable cleaning solution. This has proven itself effective for me over the years so it is definitely worth a small investment. You can usually find it in larger are stores or B&M who sell pen/ink drawing supplies.

Be sure to keep us posted as to what works for you. Continued enjoyment with your new pastime.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The above suggestions are all really good. I'd definitely start with cleaning the pen out thoroughly, flushing it, and trying with a different ink if the problem continues. Did you leave the pen uncapped for a long time? Sometimes that can cause some ink to dry up or clog. Also, I know that it's scary when you're just starting, but don't be afraid to play with the pen, take it apart, etc. You could remove the nib and feed and clean those really well. Tinkering with pens is part of the fun. :)

Good luck and welcome to fountain pens!

Hey guys, and gals. I am in need of some insight. Just four days ago I purchased the Fountain Pen Newbie Set from Goulet Pens. Am using Noodler's Black in the Metro and writing on Rhodia Dot pad. So anyways, I notice I am not getting proper ink flow from it like I was the first three days. I am getting extra feedback and skipping. Could this mean that I need to get a brass shim and floss it? I've already flushed it several times, using small amounts of dish soap. Not sure if I am comfortable messing with the tines as this is only my second fountain pen. Do your pens usually flow significantly more after you floss your tines?

Thanks, any advice helps.

No dish soap.

Jus' pull the nib n' feed out and throw it in a cup of plain ole' tap water.

If not, just contact the seller and ask for a refund.

I've gotten a lemon Pilot before, but for the most part their QC is spot on.

Hope that helps...

The pen may be low on ink. Check that there's ink in the cartridge.

I write a lot. With one pen, I'd run out of ink in a day or two.

Also, don't take the pen apart unless you're changing nibs or have some other very specific need. Over time, it creates unnecessary wear.