Hey There From Nc Penna., Usa

chaik76

Hey! I was so excited to find this site. I've really not used fountain pens much, except in calligraphy. I use dip pens most often for writing; but then I learned about the vintage flex nib fountain pens...and here I am. :D

-chaik

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaik76

• inkstainedruth

• Henricum_Tropen

• fjoly79

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

Whereabouts are you located? I know there are several pen clubs in the state.

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button at the top of the screen, to get a good overview of a range of topics (this place is ginormous, and the amount of information is vast). Also, have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum.

Of course, we are all shameless enablers here, who will be more than happy to help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, tools, wax seals, ephemera.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

welcome to our FPN community, glad to see new members, always!!! please share your experience using pens, inks and papers with us, it will be very valuable!

Francois

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Thanks!

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Thank you. I definitely will!

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

Whereabouts are you located? I know there are several pen clubs in the state.

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button at the top of the screen, to get a good overview of a range of topics (this place is ginormous, and the amount of information is vast). Also, have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum.

Of course, we are all shameless enablers here, who will be more than happy to help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, tools, wax seals, ephemera.... B)

I'm located in north central PA; pretty much smack in the middle of the state, between Williamsport and State College. I am about three and a half hours from both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Enablers are always welcome to point me towards all of those things you mentioned! I've had a life-long love of paper and pen, and ephemera? "Swoon"

welcome to our FPN community, glad to see new members, always!!! please share your experience using pens, inks and papers with us, it will be very valuable!

Francois

Thank you! I don't know if I'll be much help, but if I feel I have anything to offer, I'll be sure to join in!

-chaik

Hello Chaik and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome aboard from Charleston, SC,formerly from SE PA. As a newbie to fountain pens(vs calligraphy pens), you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. Jetpens and Goulet Pen Company are a couple of other websites that have fountain pen basics that may be useful to you, and YouTube has lots of how to vids and pen reviews ( SBRE Brown is a popular reviewer there). Have fun.

Mike

Welcome, Chalk !

You have more to offer than you realize. Please ask your questions, and introduce your thoughts.

I am often surprised at all I learn, from the discussions (sometimes not relevant) that follow.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks!

Thank you. I definitely will!

I'm located in north central PA; pretty much smack in the middle of the state, between Williamsport and State College. I am about three and a half hours from both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Enablers are always welcome to point me towards all of those things you mentioned! I've had a life-long love of paper and pen, and ephemera? "Swoon"

Thank you! I don't know if I'll be much help, but if I feel I have anything to offer, I'll be sure to join in!

-chaik

I didn't *used* to be a fan of ephemera. Then I saw some old advertising for Carter's Ink, which are illustrations (apparently by some relatively famous ad artist who specialized in animals) of a white mother cat and her ink-colored kittens.... And they were just TOO cute! Got lucky on the price of the baseball game one (with "mom" as umpire, calling the kitten sliding into home plate as "SAFE!" -- just like the ink is supposed to be B)) a few month ago. Still want to get the one with her hanging mittens on the clothesline (with a kitten in each mitten).

At some point I will actually maybe have the money to get them framed.... The first one I happened onto in an antiques mall in Punxy a couple of years ago -- it was a print that you could send away for, with a coupon from another ad. The framing job on it was *awful*, but the whole thing cost me about $18 US. And I can fix the framing.... ;)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello Chaik and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi there!

Hello and welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

Thanks!

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thank you!

Welcome aboard from Charleston, SC,formerly from SE PA. As a newbie to fountain pens(vs calligraphy pens), you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. Jetpens and Goulet Pen Company are a couple of other websites that have fountain pen basics that may be useful to you, and YouTube has lots of how to vids and pen reviews ( SBRE Brown is a popular reviewer there). Have fun.

Mike

Thanks. Great info and I will definitely take a look.

Welcome, Chalk !

You have more to offer than you realize. Please ask your questions, and introduce your thoughts.

I am often surprised at all I learn, from the discussions (sometimes not relevant) that follow.

Thanks!

:W2FPN:

Thank you!

I didn't *used* to be a fan of ephemera. Then I saw some old advertising for Carter's Ink, which are illustrations (apparently by some relatively famous ad artist who specialized in animals) of a white mother cat and her ink-colored kittens.... And they were just TOO cute! Got lucky on the price of the baseball game one (with "mom" as umpire, calling the kitten sliding into home plate as "SAFE!" -- just like the ink is supposed to be B)) a few month ago. Still want to get the one with her hanging mittens on the clothesline (with a kitten in each mitten).

At some point I will actually maybe have the money to get them framed.... The first one I happened onto in an antiques mall in Punxy a couple of years ago -- it was a print that you could send away for, with a coupon from another ad. The framing job on it was *awful*, but the whole thing cost me about $18 US. And I can fix the framing.... ;)

Those sound amazing! :)

Those sound amazing! :)

This is a link to another one of the prints (as opposed to the ads themselves) that's currently up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carters-Ink-Company-Print-Carter-Kittens-Mother-Kittens-Print-13-x-11-1-2-/302412636356?hash=item466932a0c4:g:tw0AAOSw-29ZObsC

This is a copy of the ad where you could order the print through:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carters-Ink-Old-Original-American-Magazine-Advertising-c1945-1-/202020155918?hash=item2f0956f20e:g:YwcAAOSw8oFXzxqz

And this is a copy of the baseball ad (doesn't seem to be any of the clothesline one up at the moment... :():

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Carters-Ink-9-Dyes-Kittens-Print-framed-under-Glass-12-x-11-/362058911171?hash=item544c648dc3:g:Dx8AAOSwi7RZIhVI

The artist, whose name I recall is something like Albert Staehle, apparently did a series of (IIRC) cover art for The Saturday Evening Post featuring some variety of spaniel.

This is a link to another one of the prints (as opposed to the ads themselves) that's currently up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carters-Ink-Company-Print-Carter-Kittens-Mother-Kittens-Print-13-x-11-1-2-/302412636356?hash=item466932a0c4:g:tw0AAOSw-29ZObsC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carters-Ink-Old-Original-American-Magazine-Advertising-c1945-1-/202020155918?hash=item2f0956f20e:g:YwcAAOSw8oFXzxqz

And this is a copy of the baseball ad (doesn't seem to be any of the clothesline one up at the moment... :():

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Carters-Ink-9-Dyes-Kittens-Print-framed-under-Glass-12-x-11-/362058911171?hash=item544c648dc3:g:Dx8AAOSwi7RZIhVI

The artist, whose name I recall is something like Albert Staehle, apparently did a series of (IIRC) cover art for The Saturday Evening Post featuring some variety of spaniel.

How absolutely adorable!! I am going to look up some more of the artist's work, I think. Thanks so much for the links!

Greetings and welcome to FPN from Islamabad, Pakistan.

Thank you. I love how people from places all over the world have come together because of their love of fountain pens! Truly encouraging in so many ways.

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network! :W2FPN: We're glad to have you with us!

Thank you! I am glad to have found this community.

I collect vintage and antique magazines (and schoolbooks). I've never checked them for any type of ink or pen ads; something new to look for in them!