Nib Choice On 149

Glenn Atkins

All,

I have a Pelikan M800 Tortoise Shell Brown with a .7mm custom ground nib from John Mottishaw and a Pelikan M1000 with a broad nib custom ground by Pendleton Brown.

If i get a 149, which nib should I get. I may or may not have it custom ground.

Thanks a bunch.

Glenn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• niksch

• dubhe

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ GAtkins:

Who would dare to presume to guide someone else's nib preference?

I love nibs of all sorts on a 149, from EF to OBBB, according to the writing task.

Without knowing your intended or most typical use, it's daunting to make a suggestion.

For careful work in small spaces, such as notes in book margins, EF nibs are a joy to use.

For everyday use, covering a wide range of writing tasks, an M nib does very well.

For fun, ink display and general merriment, B, OB, BB, OBB or even the over-the-top delightful OBBB are all wonderful.

Not having the pleasure of your acquaintance, anything would be only conjecture.

If forced to propose a nib, minus any other information about the user-to-be, I'd probably suggest BB or OBB.

Others are wiser, more experienced and prudent to a fault. Their advice will be more sound than mine.

I hope that you do acquire a 149 as they're such reliable daily writers.

My 149 OBBBs are a daily source of joy!

Tom K.

~ GAtkins:

What horationelson has written is certainly true, as there's such a range of individual tastes in nibs.

A nibmeister might appreciate having a broader nib to work with, were you to opt for a custom grind.

My 149s cover the gamut in width, with each one a gem to use, albeit for different purposes.

Your question doesn't seem the place for cheerleading on behalf of broader nibs, as your writing needs are unknown.

As a fountain pen professional — I visited and enjoyed the Triumph Vintage Pens Web site — you know far more about pens than I do.

Perhaps it might be appropriate to note that Montblanc B, OB, BB and OBB nibs are superb writers which offer stroke control to accommodate my not-so-large handwriting.

The special request nib exchange OBBB nibs are nothing less than pure fun, without ever being difficult to use.

BTW: After having visited your excellent Web site, I thought I might mention that this evening I'm using a 1949 Parker 51 Burgundy Aerometric, gold-filled cap F nib, inked with Diamine Asa Blue, to underscore book passages.

Tom K.

The two nibs you mentioned are stubs so I would say of you want a similar experience out of the box, get a B. A modern 149 nib will feel a lot more like your M800 than the M1000 in terms of rigidity.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I agree with Zaddick, go Broad, or Oblique Broad for line variation. The Medium is a round nib with an almost spherical tip. I have two 149s, in OB and BB, I find the OB useable everyday and it has definite line variation. The BB is bolder, more pronounced and fun, but not so useable on everyday paper and scenarios.

You are asking for a comparison. OB or OB will be the most similar in my experience.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

OB or OB will be the most similar in my experience.

~ One would certainly expect that to be the case.

Tom K.

~ dubhe:

That's a great comparison image.

It makes clear the distinction.

Thank you.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom, the Oblique also has sharper edges making the stubishness more pronounced, though the sweet spot is smaller as a result.

~ One would certainly expect that to be the case.

Tom K.

I meant to say OB or OBB. Thanks for being a dickhead.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

~ niksch:

I unreservedly apologize.

My sense of light-hearted humor was flat.

Please forgive my error for having offended.

Sometimes a spontaneous post comes off poorly.

Tom K.

Whoa! Someone didn't have his coffee this morning.. Unless we are 12 and this is a playground? :W2FPN:

Whoa! Someone didn't have his coffee this morning.. Unless we are 12 and this is a playground? :W2FPN:

I"M CALLING MOM! (I've taken a chill pill.)

Thank a Veteran.

~ niksch:

To illustrate how out-of-it I'm at times, the term “OB” throws me for a loop when I encounter it.

I'm conditioned for looking for the “-GYN” to follow.

Hmm.. There have been a couple of Montblancs in the past which looked like they were “showing” a bit.

Tom K.

Sounds like my cue for showing my BB Skeleton nib after a pregnant pause to play with it.

~ Ghost Plane:

BEYOND GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Skeleton, no less?

That's a BB that's meant for WRITING!

Thank you for showing us the nib.

Congratulations !!!!!!!!

Tom K.