Ystudio Fountain Pen - Classic Copper Portable Version.

Chi Town

First Impressions - Upon receiving the Box, it was met by myself with one of excitement, as the Box is Specially made out of Sycamore Wood. Now when was the last time you received a Fountain Pen that came in a Specially made box, out of a Special wood? Then I noticed that the Directions were made out of Rice Paper. Once past that, is a Door with a hole in the bottom to slide it open. After removing that door, I can finally see the contents of what is in the Box! The 1st thing that sticks out to me is the Ystudio Classic Copper Portable Version Fountain Pen, It looks so Beautiful....... Then I notice the Protective Tube ( made outta White Maple Wood ) for to carry the Fountain Pen in. And then there are 2 Leather Cords, along with a Brass Ring. I am just blown away by what I see inside this box!

1. Appearance & Design ( 10 - 10 ) - The appearance / Design Theme in my opinion; is one of Pure Art Work, of a Modern Era! This is a 6 sided pen. Along with the name Ystudio down low on the barrel along with their Logo. There is no Clip, instead there is an Eye Hook on the Cap, for to go thru the narrow Slit in the Protective Tube, and then you insert the Leather Cords thru the eye hook and tie then around your belt loop or other straps that you may have attached to yourself? The Fountain Pen is made of Copper and is heavy, we'll talk about the weight later. Due to it being a solid Copper material, you get a patena just like a Sterling Silver Metal, so if you do not like the patena, you must constantly keep after the Copper in cleaning it......The Cap and Barrel do not screw together, instead there is a Rubber Gasket that the Cap snaps on to.......I line mine up the same way everytime!

post-11647-0-43181000-1502763275_thumb.jpg

2. Construction & Quality ( 10 - 10 ) - Aside from the visual appeal, this Fountain Pen feels very solid and does not feel flimsy in any way! I went over MY pen, and did not find any flaws or un-natural seams......Would I worry about dropping this pen onto a hard or firm surface? NO....This pen in my opinion is a very solid pen! Now if it fell the wrong way, being made of Copper, it just may dent, but I am just guessing?

3. Weight & Dimension's ( 10 - 10 ) - Aside from the numerical values of weight, length capped/uncapped/posted, width, we will get to all this in a minute; I would consider this a Large pen, based mainly on it's length. It is the same length as a Lamy Safari Fountain Pen series......As far as the Width, it is about a little thicker than a #2 Pencil. Weight, itt is pretty heavy, at least heavier than a Lamy Safari. Based on all 3 of these, I would believe that even small hands can handle this pen, as well as Large hands! Regarding the Posting of the Cap? Personally, I DO NOT Post any of my pens, for fear of them scuffing or worse scratching the barrels. However, in this case of the Ystudio Classic Copper Portable Version the pen is NOT made to have a Posting Cap to Barrel. It will not fit.....Now for the Dimensions; Weight - 72g, Size of Pen - 2 cm x 2 cm x 14 cm, Pkg. Size - 11.5 cm x 18.5 cm x 5 cm,

post-11647-0-43181000-1502763275_thumb.jpg

4. Nib & Performance ( 9 - 10 ) - Regarding the Nib; You get your choice of only 1 of two Nibs. A Fine or a Medium, which is what I chose. The Nibs are supplied to Ystudio by German maker Schmidt Nibs! I feel they made an error here in that they only let you chose between the two nibs.....This pen was not inexpensive, and was in the same ballpark as an Edison, price wise.....I believe? You should have had your choice of the Full Run of nibs, for such a fine Fountain Pen! By that I mean; XF, F, M, B,and S. As it is I believe that you and I receive a Gold Plated nib, from Schmidt for the money, that we will talk about later. I suspect, given that it is a Schmidt Nib, that it is interchangeable. But you will have to determine that yourself? My particular pen, lays down a Medium Wet line, not overly wet, and certainly not semi dry. It also works well on all kinds of paper's; Clairfontain, Rhodia and a host of others that just do not come to mind at this moment. If you wnat their names, just e-mail me later, and I'll go upstairs to get their names....As far as inks go? I have only had 1 ink run thru the pen since I bought it on 6/2017. That Ink is Diamine 150 yr. Safari.....And it works very nicely in this pen.

5. Filling System & Maintenance ( 10 - 10 ) - The Filling System for this pen is one of a Cartridge / Converter. It holds the typical amount of ink that a basic Converter holds, not a whole lot more or less. (To date I have not had any issues with leakage with the ink)..... I suppose I could have weighed the pen wrote it down and then fill the converter with ink and weigh it again and measure that......Cleaning is no different than any other cartridge / converter.....The only cleaning difference on this particular pen is the Copper Body. It reacts to finger prints just like a Sterling Silver item that tarnishes. Copper tarnishes also. So if you like Patena, leave it be. If you don't, start cleaning right away! The pen is very easily disasembled, but I have yet to remove the nib assembly. So I'll hold off on commenting on that for now. But like I said before, it is a German Schmidt Nib, and any one whom is understanding of those type of nibs can chime in when I am finished with this review with their input related to that....

6. Cost & Value ( 10 - 10 ) - These Fountain Pens are made and Designed in Taiwan! I shopped around on the net and found the Best Price at that time - June - 2017 - at The "NomadoStore.com" in Belgium. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. These people were very nice to deal with.....The Model # is; YSFPO2M. The MSRP at that time was E140, But if you watch their store closely, you should sign up for their Newsletter and you will receive 10% off that days purchases. So my cost changed to E126 or $163.00 US. And I received FREE shipping all the way from Belgium! Plus it was FAST......This was all for a Brand New Item! Do I think it was a comparable deal to other pens that I have? NO! I think it is a BETTER deal given the way the pen is built and all that comes with it it and how the package was put together......Is this the bEST value I have seen so far? I'm not sure. There is one pen store here in the US that is now selling these pens for $160.00, but I don't know if you get the free shipping? OR the 10% off the other items that you buy for that day?

7. Conclusion ( Final Score, 59/60 ) - 1st I feel that I miust appoligize to everyone as I prepared 8 pictures to be used on this Review, and tested them. But for some reason the Review Program kicked out 6 of them and I had to use 1 twice. My overall feelings about this pen? Of the 650 units in my inventory, this pen has moved into my top 5. Does that tell you anything about how I feel about this pen? I just love it........It's been said that I might be biased in my reviews? Well, If I really like the pen, then I let that comment stand for it self......This pen has exceeded my expectations, in the way it was built, the items it came with, the portable carrying tube to protect the pen, the incredible pkging box that everything came in! Would I buy this pen again? NO, because I already have one, But I would urge everyone who reads this review to get one and have some fun! I would wait to see what new models they come out with next. I might even get the other Portable Version Fountain Pen that is Black? So far, since June 2017, this pen has been a daily writer. At some point it will be retired to one of my Display Cases for viewing.........

Edited by Chi Town

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• visvamitra

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 1st pic is what you see when take the wrapper off the box. The next pic, is the directions in Rice Paper.......

post-11647-0-49224400-1502773438_thumb.jpg

post-11647-0-11276200-1502773591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chi Town

Thank you for nice review. I like the way these pens look, however I find them overpriced. Truth be told I fail to see how cost / value can be 10/10 when the pen uses generic steel nib, c/c filling system and isn't handmade? Don't misunderstand me - I'm really glad you enjoy your new pen a lot. That's what counts. However when you start to think about it without emotions you can get much bettre pens (Platinum 3776, Lamy 2000, PelikanM200, Pilot CH92) for less money. Hell, you can even order custom pen for less than that :)

Edited by visvamitra

Hi I have a C

Thank you for nice review. I like the way these pens look, however I find them overpriced. Truth be told I fail to see how cost / value can be 10/10 when the pen uses generic steel nib, c/c filling system and isn't handmade? Don't misunderstand me - I'm really glad you enjoy your new pen a lot. That's what counts. However when you start to think about it without emotions you can get much bettre pens (Platinum 3776, Lamy 2000, PelikanM200, Pilot CH92) for less money. Hell, you can even order custom pen for less than that.

Hi, i hear what you are saying! I have both ends of the custom pens made for me, price wise. I did a Review on May 6th 2012, for a Deluxe Nox, that cost me MSRP $575.00, Less $150.00 for the Review Good or bad and it equaled $425.00! from C.E. Lewis outta Canada who it appears has gone into hibernation as of late. Then I've had 2-3 Custom Wood Pens made in India, I don't recall the maker right now but I can look it up if you so desire to know? These Fountain Pens were approximately $125.00 ea. All 4 Pens write like a dream! Or maybe I'm just lucky? As far as the Platinum 3776, Lamy 2000 and Pelikan 200 all of which I have, But I don't have the Pilot CH92; I do not feel that these are in the same category as a "Custom Pen", of the "Modern Era". So I am sorry that I do not agree with you on this point......Are these pens less expensive, Possibly? There I agree with you.....Thank You for your input.......

If it's really solid copper, that price is a large portion materials and machining. Guarantee the profit margins on the platinum 3776 are a hell of a lot higher than they are on this

I'm not a huge fan of over the top industrial design in fountain pens, but there's something captivating about that pen.

I have kind of been after a copper pen for a while, and was looking at a karas kustoms initially - I might still go that route to support an american maker, but this is REALLY tempting.

I don't have any brutishly heavy pens though, apart from one I made for myself years ago that basically is never used because the wood alone on it is worth about $200 and illegal to source anymore (highly figured curly afzelia crosslay) so I'm kind of waiting on my delike brass pen to arrive to see how I like it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

If it's really solid copper, that price is a large portion materials and machining. Guarantee the profit margins on the platinum 3776 are a hell of a lot higher than they are on this

I'm not a huge fan of over the top industrial design in fountain pens, but there's something captivating about that pen.

I have kind of been after a copper pen for a while, and was looking at a karas kustoms initially - I might still go that route to support an american maker, but this is REALLY tempting.

I don't have any brutishly heavy pens though, apart from one I made for myself years ago that basically is never used because the wood alone on it is worth about $200 and illegal to source anymore (highly figured curly afzelia crosslay) so I'm kind of waiting on my delike brass pen to arrive to see how I like it.

Good Luck on yer delike brass pen, when you get it......Maybe you can do a review of it so we all can see it?