The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc 136 Piston Knob Removal.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:21

I need to remove the piston knob of one of my MB 136 pens, i read somewhere that it has a LH thread, and that the knob is fitted "blind" and secured with some hard stuff, i have soaked it and tried heat, but so far no luck, another problem is where to hold it when trying to turn the knob.

I hope that someone has tried it before and has some hints, as how to do it.

Regards Per.

Sponsored Content

#2 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 18:05

Take a look at a thread I started not so long ago which might help a little.  I'd be super careful with what you are trying to do.  It just unscrews counterclockwise and if it won't I'd be super careful heating it up, in fact I just wouldn't risk that on a 136.

The hard stuff is where the section is secured to the barrel but I've not heard it being used on the piston end.  I have a couple of 136 pens, one in plastic, the other in BHR.  I also have a 232 with telescopic piston - they all came out with no trace of this bitumen like resin I've heard about.

Soaking it in some WD-40 or other mineral lubricant is your best bet - seriously, just leave it there soaking for a week and it will loosen up eventually.  This was a problem I had with a BHR MB20 also referenced in the thread (photo) which refused to unscrew until I soaked the end in a 5ml Pyrex beaker.  This technique works with tops and Onto sections too though BHR to BHR is more forgiving with heat, plastics are not.

http://www.fountainp...ing-when-closed

Edited by Stylomeister, 17 August 2017 - 18:06.

#3 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 19:39

136's do not have left hand threads, well at least none of mine do. I also have had great success with WD 40 with no adverse affects, although others may say different to this. Allow the lubricant time to work it's way down into the threads. I have never come across a 136 piston knob which has been glued into place. My best advise is to be patient and gentle with the handling of the pen. Let us know the outcome

#4 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:45

Thank you both for the answers, i got the pump mechanism out easy enough, the problem is the knob itself (where the slipping clutch is housed).

#5 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:55

Did you look at my thread on the clutch, I'm not quite sure what the issue is you are referring to?

The clutch on old telescopic 13x pistons can slips quite easily, that is to say you retract the piston and by the time its only half way retracted the clutch disengages and the knob screws back up.  You need to very finely tune the cork so its not too tight yet loose enough not to let air escape and allow the pen to drain through the feed.  This is what causes the piston knob to close prematurely if that is the problem you are describing.

#6 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 14:22

I saw your thread, but in this case i think that something in the clutch is broken, and the only way to acces it is by removing the knob,  if that fails i have to find another pump assembly.

#7 Maxpens

Maxpens

Max

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 16:17

LH thread is correct for the turning knob, WD 40, ultrasonic and a little heating up to 80 degrees ( only the knob) and it should screw out. It is glued with Shellac ( 80 degrees and is goes to the fluid aggregate state ). Maybe you will lost the engravings on the turning knob because of the heating.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

#8 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:14

Thank you Maxpens, i did use WD 40, soaking and heating, i probably did´nt get it warm enough, so i will give another try.

thanks again.

Regards Per.

Sponsored Content

|