The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Thoughts On Taccia Urushi Pens?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 14:09

Based on what I have seen at recent pen shows, Taccia has been making some gorgeous looking urushi pens, many with quite interesting finishes.  Several I like have been prototypes and will be produced with Sailor nibs.  They are expensive, and I find myself uncertain about whether to spend that kind of money on this particular brand.  Shu-Jen Lin is always very engaging, and I have been tempted. 

Does anybody have any actual experience with Taccia's urushi or maki-e pens?

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:40

The clips always kept me from being too interested at the prices asked. I have not seen the new pens this year yet, but should at the end of the month at the SF show.

I would point you to the good folks at Stylo Art pens as they have reasonably priced urushi pens and offer an array of nibs. I bought an amazing raden and shell pen and it was fit with a Pilot #15 FA nib for fun. I think they also have Sailor and Platinum nibs too.

Edited by zaddick, 14 August 2017 - 05:40.

#3 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 22:20

I have a friend who bought the Winter's Crystals Maki-e pen at last year's Dallas show. She is very happy with it.

I am increasingly taken with the Autumn's Leaves pen. The clip is something I'd rather be without, but it's not a deal-breaker. What do we know about the nibs? I'm assuming they are German and are standard European width.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#4 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 22:55

This was a prototype I saw at the DC show.  It wasn't complete yet - just a solid to show the surface treatment.  I thought it was especially handsome.  I have also admired several of their other urushi finish and maki-e pens.

IMG_1445.JPG

Sponsored Content

|